5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Rebel Bit Me!!!!

Bob.

Reaction score
Very few know about the garandthumb
I know it, only once....Years ago I got into a debate online about how to load it. Other guy said you can't load it inside the rifle. So I make a quick video with my phone hanging off of a shelf behind me. Almost 7 million hits.... You never know what will be popular

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
I know it, only once....Years ago I got into a debate online about how to load it. Other guy said you can't load it inside the rifle. So I make a quick video with my phone hanging off of a shelf behind me. Almost 7 million hits.... You never know what will be popular

Great video sir! I love my garands. Something about the whole operation makes you appreciate the service rifle aspect of it.

Bob.

Reaction score
Great video sir!
I made it because some guy was saying I'm full of it. You know the internet and the other guy is always right. Bull, I had to show this guy he was full of it so I made the video then posted it on that website,
I won that debate!
I made that 9 years ago......

Grabbed my sand bag, placed it on the table. Fired up the phone, stopped and checked the shot and it was good so I did it in 1 take, Uploaded it to utube and then copied the link to show the guy.

Well most guys possibly never knew. Now most will know if they watch the demonstration.

40 years ago.....
That bolt felt like I slammed the door on my thumb, I was loading a 5 rd hunting clip and I got lazy and bang, Had to reach around with my left hand to get me out of that mouse trap. LOL
Dad was in the pacific theater, He laughed at me when I got home, Then he snatched it away and showed me how it's done. I shut up and listened real good from that point on about the war,

S. Snake

Reaction score

Hey I watched this video years back when I was considering getting my hands on an M1 from the CMP. Awesome video, awesome M1, and awesome story about your dad laughing at getting the ol garand thumb. My old man would definetly have laughed if I made that mistake too!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Big Horn got my wife today, so I am not a fan. I notice the lock tip has several sharp rings molded into it, so it looks like they did this intentionally. I'll be looking for something less dangerous to screw on there...

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
My Big Horn got my wife today, so I am not a fan. I notice the lock tip has several sharp rings molded into it, so it looks like they did this intentionally. I'll be looking for something less dangerous to screw on there...

There is a TSB. Have it done at your next dealer visit if you are still under warranty

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is newer than the TSB time frame, so it may already have the new grommets, but I'll check it in more detail. In any case, I still don't like the rings on the stem that pull flesh in.

Rabbit929

Reaction score

SMALL WORLD!!!
I was debating a coworker about this as well! And i showed him your video, which i have seen years ago. pretty crazy how small this world is!

But apologies for the old(ish) bump, i just thought i should add that my trucks bit alot of us, i narrowed it down to when we are out at the lake. (windows down, arm out the window)
Its nice to know theres an actual fix for it. I just got used to locking it myself if i remember to.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I removed the door panel and unscrewed the lock knob. I don't know why the lock knob is visible on the front doors if you can't grab it to unlock the door. I put the lock knob in the glove box and used a flat PDR hole cover to cover the opening. It looks factory and is flat. There will not be any more arm pinching happening in my truck!

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I removed the door panel and unscrewed the lock knob. I don't know why the lock knob is visible on the front doors if you can't grab it to unlock the door. I put the lock knob in the glove box and used a flat PDR hole cover to cover the opening. It looks factory and is flat. There will not be any more arm pinching happening in my truck!

Can you post pics? It hasn't happened to me, but it might be a worthwhile preventative mod. Can't you just unscrew the lock knob from the outside of the door panel?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll try to get a pic up soon. Yes, you could just unscrew the cap, but then you have a hole to deal with. I took my door panel off to figure out a solution. Once I figured it out, your way of unscrewing and then capping can all be done from the outside.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got them years ago from a body shop supply. They are plugs for body holes. I have a few different sizes based on the hole size. PDR techs use them if they drill holes. I was trained by a dent guy that drilled holes to access certain dents, so I grabbed some of his plugs when I was first learning as he had boxes of them. I then learned that it's best NOT to drill holes, so I never used them.

My son's old Mustang got a Roush hood scoop installed and to mount it required drilling holes under the hood to put the nut on the screw. To give the install a more finished look, I used a couple there. I have used them to fill license plate screw holes, this lock hole and other holes that I've created and needed to cover. They are good to have on hand.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got them years ago from a body shop supply. They are plugs for body holes. I have a few different sizes based on the hole size. PDR techs use them if they drill holes. I was trained by a dent guy that drilled holes to access certain dents, so I grabbed some of his plugs when I was first learning as he had boxes of them. I then learned that it's best NOT to drill holes, so I never used them.

My son's old Mustang got a Roush hood scoop installed and to mount it required drilling holes under the hood to put the nut on the screw. To give the install a more finished look, I used a couple there. I have used them to fill license plate screw holes, this lock hole and other holes that I've created and needed to cover. They are good to have on hand.

Do you know the size of that plug? Edit: The ID of the door grommet is 9.36mm or 3/8". I should be able to find a plastic of silicone plug that size.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread