5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My rear diff with e-locker has LS

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All I know is BLD works great and really can’t see any advantage to LSD if you have the locker to use. If I didn’t have the locker for the times it’s useful then LSD would be my second choice..

ajosephngs

Reaction score
Traction control switch is a physical button on the bottom of the panel below my temperature control where your proximity sensors and tow switches are. At least on mine. I too discovered this in the snow. Leaned into a corner for some fun and the truck said no fun allowed. I frowned and fumbled around until I found the traction control button. the traction control is pretty impressive really, better than that clicking/grinding noise my Toyota made when using traction control. I have not played with the elocker yet.

Tommy R

Reaction score
The fact that we have a pseudo-LSD via the brakes is kinda cool. At least it's better than nothing. Open diffs in solid axle vehicles are a fun sponge. Since my last post I've done some testing and have only gotten it to one-wheel-peel on a super tight corner. All other times (thus far) it's spun both tires unlike all over solid axle, open diff vehicles I've had. Now that I've had this thing for a week, I guess it's time to read the manual! :D

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eLocker with the standard TCS BLD is my opinion the best configuration... if you intend to actually go places where the locker is needed. Speaking for my Durango, I agree BLD is nicely implemented and does very well.

With TCS BLD being so good and standard in all models, I'm trying to understand why FCA added the option for Antispin. I think the answer is that it provides a smoother initial side-to-side torque transfer in low-speed situations. That is, from a stand-still, Antispin I think will engage the other wheel sooner and with less spin compared to BLD. That can be the difference between moving forward or moving sideways.

Reaction score
I know this post is late to the game. I posted this information yesterday however I cannot seem to locate the post.
I had a conversation with Eaton on the phone. Person I spoke with was adamant that the electronically activated locker being used in the 2019 -2020 Ram is NOT an Eaton product.
He also stated that the clutch type LSD used by Ram is in fact an Eaton product. He also said that he saw no reason that the clutch type LSD could not be rebuilt if the parts needed were made available by FCM.
I know this goes against what we have thought. I pressed him pretty hard on the subject, pointing out the wording that FCM uses when describing the E-Locker. He seemed to be knowledgeable about the changes that have taken place through the years with the rear axle used in the Ram. This was not some desk jockey whose job is to answer the phone and supply canned responses to questions.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this post is late to the game. I posted this information yesterday however I cannot seem to locate the post.
I had a conversation with Eaton on the phone. Person I spoke with was adamant that the electronically activated locker being used in the 2019 -2020 Ram is NOT an Eaton product.
He also stated that the clutch type LSD used by Ram is in fact an Eaton product. He also said that he saw no reason that the clutch type LSD could not be rebuilt if the parts needed were made available by FCM.
I know this goes against what we have thought. I pressed him pretty hard on the subject, pointing out the wording that FCM uses when describing the E-Locker. He seemed to be knowledgeable about the changes that have taken place through the years with the rear axle used in the Ram. This was not some desk jockey whose job is to answer the phone and supply canned responses to questions.

Very interesting, and thank you for calling them!

Users who are viewing this thread