5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My rear diff with e-locker has LS

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw other thread saying diff with locker just open if not locked. So. I went out on our snow covered roads and can confirm there is LSD. Now I don’t know if it engages as fast as the LSD only diffs as not another 19 to compare with but seems the same as other LSD diffs I have has in the past.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To clarify I understand the difference between the two diffs I’m asking how this can be. I checked the tracks in the snow and could see the digging in of the first spin then the other side ?

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does traction control add braking to non traction wheel to make it act like a limited slip? I saw a 19 Rebel off road video on Youtube and they were driving on wet grassy rutted field and eased slowly into ruts in 2wd so only 1 rear wheel had traction and other started slipping. After letting it slip for a few seconds with no forward motion the driver stopped and locked rear axle. He then started moving and rear of truck slid sideways as both wheels turned together. This seemed to show open dif to me unless it would have started to add braking had they spun wheel longer. Maybe your snow test just happened that both wheels had such similar traction the dif shared power???

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well there was another thread here somewhere we’re a guy was being very sure it was a one wheel peel deal. I’m telling you that’s not the case yes the traction control activated and then the other wheel received power. That’s why I said maybe not as fast of power transfer as a diff labelled LSD. I really would like the diffinitve answer is our diffs an lsd with the added locker ? Is that even possible? And if not how is the diff transferring power between the wheels?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I saw other thread saying diff with locker just open if not locked. So. I went out on our snow covered roads and can confirm there is LSD. Now I don’t know if it engages as fast as the LSD only diffs as not another 19 to compare with but seems the same as other LSD diffs I have has in the past.
Hmm... If you have the e-locker, than you do not have anti-spin. May have been other factors though like traction control like Gator suggested.

Cheers,

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Really want a technical article of this 3.92 rear end with e-locker.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's open, it has limited slip tendencies often, but it's open. Still prefer having the locker after my 16's anti-spin was useless in 4x4 during winters. Always got the Ram "front passenger, rear driver" spinning while the other two did nothing syndrome.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have anti spin or e locker just 4wd and took my truck up into the Siskiyou mountains in northern CA in the rain. The ground up there is sticky clay. Traction control took care of everything by locking the spinning tire and transferring power to the appropriate places didn't get stuck once and didn't need 4 low. This is the first truck I've had without LS or a locker and I was actually impressed with how well the traction control did. It is definitely not a substitute for a LSD or locker, but performed pretty damn well.

Tommy R

Reaction score
I was very curious about this, as well. As we all (likely) know, a solid axle car with an open diff (and no traction control) will burn the right rear tire and rarely spin both rear tires in a straight line. I turned the traction control off on my Rebel and simply punched it from a stop sign on dry asphalt. It left two very noticeable black streaks in the rearview mirror while slightly wagging its tail. It made me wonder... First of all, are we sure it's an Eaton brand locker? I believe Auburn once (maybe still?) made a clutch-type LSD that when electrically activated would apply loads of pressure to the clutch disc assembly and it would act similarly to a locker. However, in the rock crawling world these were dismissed because the "locked" diff could be overcome when in a bind, but I digress. I began to wonder what the details are about our E-lockers and how "open" it is when not engaged. Is the rear axle in our trucks an AAM unit? Dana? Something else? I'm not referring to the "max payload" optional axle with the Dana 60 center section.

Thanks!
Tommy

Chris

Reaction score
I was very curious about this, as well. As we all (likely) know, a solid axle car with an open diff (and no traction control) will burn the right rear tire and rarely spin both rear tires in a straight line. I turned the traction control off on my Rebel and simply punched it from a stop sign on dry asphalt. It left two very noticeable black streaks in the rearview mirror while slightly wagging its tail. It made me wonder... First of all, are we sure it's an Eaton brand locker? I believe Auburn once (maybe still?) made a clutch-type LSD that when electrically activated would apply loads of pressure to the clutch disc assembly and it would act similarly to a locker. However, in the rock crawling world these were dismissed because the "locked" diff could be overcome when in a bind, but I digress. I began to wonder what the details are about our E-lockers and how "open" it is when not engaged. Is the rear axle in our trucks an AAM unit? Dana? Something else? I'm not referring to the "max payload" optional axle with the Dana 60 center section.

Thanks!
Tommy
How did you disable the Traction Control? I believe it has multiple modes, and it is designed to reduce but not remove the traction control most of the time.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I must look further into this "traction control off' thing. Was on snow and ice and wanted to do doughnuts, truck said "no..."

GATORB8

Reaction score
Look what I found in the manual:

A feature of the TCS, Brake Limited Differential
(BLD), functions similar to a limited slip differential and
controls the wheel spin across a driven axle. If one wheel
on a driven axle is spinning faster than the other, the
system will apply the brake of the spinning wheel. This
will allow more engine torque to be applied to the wheel
that is not spinning. BLD may remain enabled even if TCS
and ESC are in a reduced mode.

Ramlax

Reaction score
How did you disable the Traction Control? I believe it has multiple modes, and it is designed to reduce but not remove the traction control most of the time.

I second this, I couldn’t figure out how to turn it off

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
If the locker had LSD then you wouldn't be able to choose both in the configurator.

blankenbuhler

Reaction score
Very easy to prove it's an open diff: Put the rear axle on jack stands and turn one tire with your hands. The other tire will spin the opposite direction.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's an open diff.... I don't understand the continued discussion. Open diffs will sometimes posi-out at take off... but this e-locker is an open diff.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The answer is in the manual. As was mentioned earlier by @GATORB8, on open differential equipped Ram's the BLD (Brake Limited Differential) feature grabs the spinning wheel with the brake and transfers torque to the other wheel with traction when eLocker is off. Jeep uses this method with excellent results.

eLocker diffs are open when not locked but act similar to Anti-Spin due to BLD.

Users who are viewing this thread