5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jlanc20

Reaction score
Ive been tinkering around with designing this funnel for oil changes on the 5.7 hemis. As we all know the oil changes on these can be a nightmare for containing messes with the sway bar underneath the drain plug. I have come up with a few prototypes and I think I may have nailed it. The only issue I am having is I just did an oil change so I cannot try it out. I do not see why it will not work tho. I am going to attach some images of it and wanted to hear what you guys think! I was contemplating selling these in the near future.

Attachments

• 20240722_173354.jpg
    20240722_173354.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240722_173341.jpg
    20240722_173341.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240722_172940.jpg
    20240722_172940.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240722_172931.jpg
    20240722_172931.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240722_172839.jpg
    20240722_172839.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20240722_172834.jpg
    20240722_172834.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

boogielander

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
that's gonna work just fine!

but a bit fancy lol for me a folded piece of cardboard does the trick when I can't find the aluminum equivalent of what you made that we have at the shop when i do oil change for customers.

For my personal truck I use a Fumoto valve

jlanc20

Reaction score
I just didnt like the idea of having a valve holding the oil back lol i got sick of using the foil and still made a mess on the floor...just a dumb design on Rams part.

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been tinkering around with designing this funnel for oil changes on the 5.7 hemis. As we all know the oil changes on these can be a nightmare for containing messes with the sway bar underneath the drain plug. I have come up with a few prototypes and I think I may have nailed it. The only issue I am having is I just did an oil change so I cannot try it out. I do not see why it will not work tho. I am going to attach some images of it and wanted to hear what you guys think! I was contemplating selling these in the near future.
I use this, works pretty good after cutting off several inches of the tip.
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

boogielander

Reaction score
I just didnt like the idea of having a valve holding the oil back lol i got sick of using the foil and still made a mess on the floor...just a dumb design on Rams part.
yeah it's dumb design. i still have no idea why they did what they did.

that little bit of remaining oil is not gonna make a difference especially if you change your oil and filter every 5k or so.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good.

jlanc20

Reaction score
I know the filter still makes a mess, Ive tried freezer bags and grocery bags but still manage to get oil everywhere lol. I used to try n make a dam with foil but thought theres gotta be an easier way lol just thought id share what i came up with.

jlanc20

Reaction score
yeah it's dumb design. i still have no idea why they did what they did.

that little bit of remaining oil is not gonna make a difference especially if you change your oil and filter every 5k or so.
I didnt mean the remaining oil I just meant id rather have a drain plug keeping oil in the pan rather than a valve. Id always be worrying about a rock or something hitting it and opening it while I am driving down the road.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didnt mean the remaining oil I just meant id rather have a drain plug keeping oil in the pan rather than a valve. Id always be worrying about a rock or something hitting it and opening it while I am driving down the road.

Exactly why I do not have a valve.

Waveslayer

Reaction score
I used the fumoto on my old truck, no issues. I ran that thing hard! Mainly baja runs, never came close

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Don't use a funnel, simply keep the oil cap on tight for the initial start of the drain. Even with hot oil, it barely splashes beyond the circumference of my Walmart 4.5 gallon deep catch pan. A simple wipe of a couple of paper towels on the sway bar later, it's nice and clean. No worry from a dripping funnel you need to clean or wipe down later.

As the oil starts dripping beyond the sway bar, then loosen the oil cap to allow better draining.

This technique along with using two 1/2 gallon zip lock bags on the oil filter (one bag for initial oil drain, slip on 2nd bag for final filter removal) results in nearly zero mess and an easy oil change. No need for funnels or relocation kits, this is an easy clean job.

Dewey

Reaction score
Fumoto has a plastic lock clip on it so it can’t easily open. Heck sometimes I even have a hard time removing that clip to open the valve.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
View attachment 186829
One hose from my Fumoto drain valve and another hose from my Oil Udder with both draining into a 5 gallon waste oil jug. Easy and no mess whatsoever.

Cool system. My only worry is something could happen to the valve, it seems to be really low on the installations I've seen, should it have a mechanical issue or damaged and oil leaks, there is no low oil light on these trucks. All you have is a low oil pressure warning that maybe too late by the time you see it.

I know a lot of people use them and been very happy with them, but I'm not 99.99% certain like I am with a drain bolt.

raygun9

Reaction score
View attachment 186829
One hose from my Fumoto drain valve and another hose from my Oil Udder with both draining into a 5 gallon waste oil jug. Easy and no mess whatsoever.
got a pic of the oil udder doing this? I've been debating getting one because like everyone else said, no matter what I try it makes a mess.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@jlanc20 I might be interested in one of these.

Dewey

Reaction score
Cool system. My only worry is something could happen to the valve, it seems to be really low on the installations I've seen, should it have a mechanical issue or damaged and oil leaks, there is no low oil light on these trucks. All you have is a low oil pressure warning that maybe too late by the time you see it.

I know a lot of people use them and been very happy with them, but I'm not 99.99% certain like I am with a drain bolt.
It’s tucked in above the front sway bar. You’d have to be doing some pretty extreme off roading and even then it would be a real stretch hitting it. I have zero worries.
IMG_0225.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread