5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Ram 1500 driver door jamb label does not have maximum towing and payload info.

rtslab

Reaction score
It has the following info besides DATE OF MFR, TIRE Szie, PAINT, MDH(Month-Day-Hour) etc.
GVWR: 7200lb
GAWR Front: 3900lb
GAWR Rear: 4100lb
20X9.0

How can I know the maximum towing and payload capacity of my truck?

Thanks!

Last edited:

rtslab

Reaction score
It has the following info besides DATE OF MFR, TIRE Szie, PAINT, MDH(Month-Day-Hour) etc.
GVWR: 7200lb
GAWR Front: 3900lb
GAWR Rear: 4100lb
20X9.0

How can I know the maximum towing and payload capacity of my truck? Also how do I the curb weight of my truck? if I subtract curb weight from my GVWR, I should get my maximum payload, correct?

Thanks!

mdschadler

Reaction score
You payload will be shown on your tire inflation sticker, just above the box that has the tire size and pressures. It doesn’t stand out but it’s there. You won’t see a max tow but you can figure it out from the payload.

rtslab

Reaction score
You payload will be shown on your tire inflation sticker, just above the box that has the tire size and pressures. It doesn’t stand out.
Yeah, indeed. I was looking at the other label which has GVWR, GAWR etc.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So you didnt post much info about your truck.

We have plenty of threads here to describe were to find this info. I see you found it. In ordee to find your towing capacity you need one more number. GCWR. Gross Combined Weight Rating

You have to find this in the charts.

From the info you did provide I see you have an eco diesel 4x4. The 7200 GVWR gives that away.

So we need your rear gear ratio to find your. GCWR.

3.21 is 13900

3.92 is 15600

Now with your other info you can find base weight

GVWR minus payload is base weight.

Base weight equals 7200 minus 1300 is 5900.

So if you have 3.21 rear your max tow is 8000 and 3.92 is 9700.

But this number is deceptive though. It isn't the weight of trailer.. But rather the weight of everything added to thr truck. With a HeavyDuty it is easy to get the next answer. But a 1500 is payload limited...so sometimes the max trailer weight is much less

Every setup has a different max trailer weight

It depends on how much cargo and passengers you have in the truck.

But the SAE rule gives 370lbs. 300 for driver passenger and 70 for hitch. They also do the figure at 10% tongue weight. But id you are looking at a travel trailer, TW will like be 13%

So lets say you have 3.21

8000 minus 370 is 7630 for a max trailer weight.

At 10% that is 760lb tongue weight. 370 plus 760 is 1130. So you still have room for 270lbs.

But if it is a travel trailer 13% is 990lbs and you can see you are now right at payload.

So nothing else can go in the truck.

Now. Those are the numbers. You can see how they work

Plenty will be along to say you can tow more screw payload. This is your decision to make

rtslab

Reaction score
So you didnt post much info about your truck.

We have plenty of threads here to describe were to find this info. I see you found it. In ordee to find your towing capacity you need one more number. GCWR. Gross Combined Weight Rating

You have to find this in the charts.

From the info you did provide I see you have an eco diesel 4x4. The 7200 GVWR gives that away.

So we need your rear gear ratio to find your. GCWR.

3.21 is 13900

3.92 is 15600

Now with your other info you can find base weight

GVWR minus payload is base weight.

Base weight equals 7200 minus 1300 is 5900.

So if you have 3.21 rear your max tow is 8000 and 3.92 is 9700.

But this number is deceptive though. It isn't the weight of trailer.. But rather the weight of everything added to thr truck. With a HeavyDuty it is easy to get the next answer. But a 1500 is payload limited...so sometimes the max trailer weight is much less

Every setup has a different max trailer weight

It depends on how much cargo and passengers you have in the truck.

But the SAE rule gives 370lbs. 300 for driver passenger and 70 for hitch. They also do the figure at 10% tongue weight. But id you are looking at a travel trailer, TW will like be 13%

So lets say you have 3.21

8000 minus 370 is 7630 for a max trailer weight.

At 10% that is 760lb tongue weight. 370 plus 760 is 1130. So you still have room for 270lbs.

But if it is a travel trailer 13% is 990lbs and you can see you are now right at payload.

So nothing else can go in the truck.

Now. Those are the numbers. You can see how they work

Plenty will be along to say you can tow more screw payload. This is your decision to make
Thank you for your detailed reply! It makes everything clear. I have a 3.92 rear so max. tow is 9700lb(including passenger weight, cargo etc.).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread