5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My lowering plan

Svt40

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Lonestar RWD.

The Belltech 1060SP lowering kit is on the way (springs are on backorder till January unfortunately). This will give me a 2/4 drop.

I will also be getting the AirLift Wireless One EZ with Durango airbags p/n 60824 (thanks ferraiolo1) on the rear end since I still plan on towing my 1942 jeep to events.

Lastly (for now) will be a set of FR70 wheels in bronze. 22x10 +25 offset, coupled with 305/45R22 tires.

Does anyone see any issues with this setup for daily driving or towing?

Svt40

Reaction score
Yup front drop spindles and my truck came with factory 20's so it will work.

Svt40

Reaction score
Nice. That’s what I wanted to do, but won’t work with my truck with factory 22’s.

They do have a kit with front adjustable struts rather than drop spindles.
P/n 1061SP

My biggest concern is tire rubbing and towing.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They do have a kit with front adjustable struts rather than drop spindles.
P/n 1061SP

My biggest concern is tire rubbing and towing.
I’m using MaxTrac’s front lowering struts and I have rubbing issues on large road humps with my factory 22’s.

Sgt7544

Reaction score
What size is the tire on the factory 22's? I'm running a 3" drop up front with factory 20's and no rubbing. I gotta think the overall diameter should be pretty much the same.

Svt40

Reaction score
Well bad news.

We started the install today and lowering spindles do not fit the OEM 20 inch wheels. The ball joint had to be cut which is not out of the ordinary but the actual spindle rubs on the inside of the wheel.

I'm talking with Belltech about it right now. We may just end up grinding off the trailing edge corner of the spindle for clearance. We'll find out.

It could also be something specific to the night edition wheels as well.

My baby prior to the start and the crazy snow that we were not supposed to get here in Texas.
20221222_090405.jpg

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well bad news.

We started the install today and lowering spindles do not fit the OEM 20 inch wheels. The ball joint had to be cut which is not out of the ordinary but the actual spindle rubs on the inside of the wheel.

I'm talking with Belltech about it right now. We may just end up grinding off the trailing edge corner of the spindle for clearance. We'll find out.

It could also be something specific to the night edition wheels as well.

My baby prior to the start and the crazy snow that we were not supposed to get here in Texas.
View attachment 146706

That’s crazy that they won’t work. I had to return mine because they would not fit the hubs on my truck that came with factory 22’s. They didn’t know that. Belltech said they WILL work on the trucks with factory 20’s. Now they won’t. Man, they really need to do more R&D before releasing a product. I mean, Jeez, they have only been “working” on suspension parts for the 5th gens for 2 years or so. I guess that’s not enough time to figure out what works and what doesn’t. BTW, you in G-Town? That area looks mighty familiar.

Svt40

Reaction score
G-Town?

Not from this part of Texas. I grew up in central Texas and then lived in Florida for 20 years before moving back 12 years ago.

The guy at Belltech called me back many times today as we went through this. I ended up just putting the OEM spindle back on for now. They did offer to comp me a set of the lowering struts till they got the spindles sorted out but I declined. They are also replacing the shorter nuts that were missing from the spindle box. Looks like a badger got a hold of the box!!

We are going to grind down the offending corners and re-install the spindles once the new nuts arrive. It was probably a .010 clearance issue but far too close for my taste.

Will post pictures before and after the grind work.

Last edited:

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
G-Town?

Not from this part of Texas. I grew up in central Texas and then lived in Florida for 20 years before moving back 12 years ago.

The guy at Belltech called me back many times today as we went through this. I ended up just putting the OEM spindle back on for now. They did offer to comp me a set of the lowering struts till they got the spindles sorted out but I declined. They are also replacing the shorter nuts that were missing from the spindle box. Looks like a badger got a hold of the box!!

We are going to grind down the offending corners and re-install the spindles once the new nuts arrive. It was probably a .010 clearance issue but far too close for my taste.

I was contemplating taking my Belltech drop spindles to a machine shop and having them bored out where the hub fits. It is very close to fitting. Hardly anything would have to be taken off to make it work. But, I wasn’t willing to take the gamble on something else not working or voiding any warranty they would have come with. So, I sent them back.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
G-Town?

I live east of Dallas and there is a city nearby that has an auto repair place and oil change place laid out just like that and it looked like it.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Machine shop is your friend shop. Should be rather inexpensive to have them slightly machined to fit then maybe Belltech will reimburse you. I would go this route before I start going to town with a grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ANYHEMI

Reaction score
Any particular reason why you guys are choosing the drop spindles over the struts or coilovers?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Will they still warranty the spindles after you modify them? If so, I’d get that in writing.

Svt40

Reaction score
Then yup that is the place you are probably thinking of. I repair welders out of the same building.

I did contact the person I was dealing with about the warranty and will probably hear back from him next week since they have a four day weekend.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Then yup that is the place you are probably thinking of. I repair welders out of the same building.

I did contact the person I was dealing with about the warranty and will probably hear back from him next week since they have a four day weekend.

Any updates?

Users who are viewing this thread