5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Longhorn is Built but ...

n8zcc

Reaction score
On November 30th, I put in an order for a 2022 Longhorn, 45 days later I'm notified it is built and I have a window sticker. I'm excited because in a week or two I'll be driving my new truck, I'm local to SHAP. I'm also thrilled my order to build was so short compared to many of the posts I've read.

Well, that excitement was short-lived. In reviewing the WS I noticed one option was missing, the RAM Box option. When I ordered, the dealer had allocation and every option I ordered was available. The order went it and the next day I had a VIN. I have not talked to the dealer yet to find out what happened but likely the dealer simply dropped the ball. I also noticed the time between ordering and assembly, the Longhorn's base price increased $885.00, a sad sign of the times I guess.

I'm kind of hung on what to do. Should I reorder and wait for what I want knowing I will keep the truck for 8 or more years or should I take what was built and live without the RAM Boxes? I've never had that option so I won't know what I'm missing but I think, in my use case, they would be beneficial. I was looking for additional lockable storage for the trips my wife and I have planned this coming spring.

I would like to get a feel of what you would do if presented with the same situation. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From my perspective, it depends on how urgently you need the truck. My order (in 2018) took over 100 days to deliver due to options such as RamBoxes requiring extra time in the early days. I would have rejected the order if it were delivered without the correct options. But I was in no rush.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would reorder if It didn’t come with the options you wanted especially if the Rambox option is something that’s important to you. Only you can decide that.. personally I love them and wouldn’t go back to a standard bed setup unless I was forced too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It all depends on your tolerance for waiting, as well as potential price increases. Maybe you buy this one while the dealer reorders it correctly (with an agreement up front on the trade-in).
But keep this in mind. A dealer on the TRX forum said that as of January 1st, Ram is scrutinizing/auditing multiple orders from the same person. They even cancelled one guy’s order because they think he’s a flipper (his first one was actually stolen).

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
On November 30th, I put in an order for a 2022 Longhorn, 45 days later I'm notified it is built and I have a window sticker. I'm excited because in a week or two I'll be driving my new truck, I'm local to SHAP. I'm also thrilled my order to build was so short compared to many of the posts I've read.

Well, that excitement was short-lived. In reviewing the WS I noticed one option was missing, the RAM Box option. When I ordered, the dealer had allocation and every option I ordered was available. The order went it and the next day I had a VIN. I have not talked to the dealer yet to find out what happened but likely the dealer simply dropped the ball. I also noticed the time between ordering and assembly, the Longhorn's base price increased $885.00, a sad sign of the times I guess.

I'm kind of hung on what to do. Should I reorder and wait for what I want knowing I will keep the truck for 8 or more years or should I take what was built and live without the RAM Boxes? I've never had that option so I won't know what I'm missing but I think, in my use case, they would be beneficial. I was looking for additional lockable storage for the trips my wife and I have planned this coming spring.

I would like to get a feel of what you would do if presented with the same situation. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
you did not notice this when the build sheet was released?

n8zcc

Reaction score
you did not notice this when the build sheet was released?
Your point is? The WS was two days after the BS, way too late to cause a change. Besides, this has nothing to do with my question, simply seeing what others would do.

Last edited:

Mathis35

Reaction score
Your point is? The WS was two days after the BS, way too late to cause a change. Besides, this has nothing to do with my question, simply seeing what others would do.
Did you get a poc from the dealer that had rambox on there? That would have been your chance to review your order while changes could be made.

Any chance ramboxes were included in a package and just not specifically listed on the ws? If this is a possibility they would be listed on the bs and not on the ws.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that shared their opinion, appreciated.

Just an FYI, the 2022 is a want, not a need. In the spring my wife and I have two trips planned (from the Detroit area), one to South Dakota and another to southern California, we are not ready for air travel. We were going to make a "see America" trip out of it and I was going to be happier in a new vehicle over my 2013. Also the reason for the additional lockable storage of the RAM Boxes.

I could take the 2015 3500 but, when not loaded down with 3K on pin weight, it is a rough ride. Too much for a trip like this at our age.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Did you get a poc from the dealer that had rambox on there? That would have been your chance to review your order while changes could be made.

Any chance ramboxes were included in a package and just not specifically listed on the ws? If this is a possibility they would be listed on the bs and not on the ws.
Unfortunately not. The dealer's communication has been, well, hasn't. This purchase process is new to me but seems to be the way car sales are going. I went through Costco auto for the pricing. Got a call from an affiliate dealer, we went down the options list and I told him what I wanted. He emailed me a purchase proposal that only showed totals. Called him the next day, revisited all the options and I OKed the order. I offered a deposit but they said it wasn't needed.

He told me when the truck comes in they will email me the online docu-sign and after that they will deliver the vehicle. I don't even have to leave my house.

I searched the BS for various keywords relating to a RAM Box but came up with nothing.

Mathis35

Reaction score
Unfortunately not. The dealer's communication has been, well, hasn't. This purchase process is new to me but seems to be the way car sales are going. I went through Costco auto for the pricing. Got a call from an affiliate dealer, we went down the options list and I told him what I wanted. He emailed me a purchase proposal that only showed totals. Called him the next day, revisited all the options and I OKed the order. I offered a deposit but they said it wasn't needed.

He told me when the truck comes in they will email me the online docu-sign and after that they will deliver the vehicle. I don't even have to leave my house.

I searched the BS for various keywords relating to a RAM Box but came up with nothing.
Ah yeah that's odd. It shows up on the build sheet as RamBox Cargo Management System

cleandirt

Reaction score
If you are only traveling with two people you will have a pretty huge amount of lockable space in the rear portion of the crew cab. Putting some low value things in a couple of rubber made type containers strapped in the bed would free up even more space. I wouldn’t see the lack of Ram boxes as a deal breaker. I understand this option is a priority to many. When I ordered my truck, after some consideration, I decided I didn’t want them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HRCfan1

Reaction score
If I didn’t need it quick and i planned on keeping it a long time I’d cancel that one and order another one with the options I wanted. Life is too short to not get exactly what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone that shared their opinion, appreciated.

Just an FYI, the 2022 is a want, not a need. In the spring my wife and I have two trips planned (from the Detroit area), one to South Dakota and another to southern California, we are not ready for air travel. We were going to make a "see America" trip out of it and I was going to be happier in a new vehicle over my 2013. Also the reason for the additional lockable storage of the RAM Boxes.

I could take the 2015 3500 but, when not loaded down with 3K on pin weight, it is a rough ride. Too much for a trip like this at our age.
Kindred spirits, we're planning to do something similar once my truck is delivered. We usually head west for the mountains and will again this time around. But we will also hit the upper Midwest including Sault Ste. Marie (always wanted to get up that way). Enjoy your new truck and the road trip.

Quint

Reaction score
I bought my Bighorn off of the lot and it has tinted windows. With that rear window tint, if I leave anything on the floor in the back of the truck nobody can see it. If you have a tonneau cover or a cap, nobody is going to break into that either unless you're hauling gold bars across the country. It is very hard to find real world examples of anyone that personally had a tonneau cut or ripped open by a thief.

It sucks that they left off the Ram boxes, but IMO it's no great loss. Not getting 4x4 or something of that level would be a deal-breaker for me. I would still press the dealer to make the situation right. That was a $1k option. Ask them to spray line the bed or something else on their nickel.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are just looking for lockable storage for road trips a hard tonneau cover like a retrax would do quite well.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would reorder and wait. You obviously wanted that option on your truck and plan on keeping her awhile..

I wanted the Ram boxes as well, but they're not available on the longbed. I needed the longer bed, so the choice was made for me.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Ram boxes seem nice. I don't have them to comment on thier viability for weatherproof storage on a trip. I would think a hard tonneau cover would be the best bet. Like others have said, most items will fit in the back seat.

But, if it is important to you, reorder. If it is for the trip, will it be in time?

Users who are viewing this thread