5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JFern

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I figured I would post some of what I did to my 2020 Ram here. I found a lot of useful information on this site and wanted to give a bit back. Hope it helps. Just a bit of background, I owned a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn that I purchased new. It had the standard list of Bughorn options on it but I did pay for the Katskin leather upgrade and I would highly recommend it. Very well made, custom options to choose from and overall a great product. I also used a rear drop spring kit to lower the rear by about two inches or so (going for a sport truck look) and I added air lift 1000 air springs so that when I towed or had a full bed of stuff it wouldn’t sag. They worked great. I was able to drill a hole in the hitch receiver assembly for the air schrader valve, it worked great. I have pictures here, but it hauled our razor and trailer just fine. I also added Pirelli Scorpion Verde 175/50/R22 on it with custom wheels that had a positive offset of about 15. I wanted a little bit more sidewall. Loved those tires and they held up fine for all I did with them and ran really quiet. I also added the flow master flowFX muffler and loved the sound. Deep and throaty when on the throttle with zero drone at highway speeds and low cabin noise. Highly recommend it. More on that below.

I just traded it in and got a 2020 1500 Laramie 4x4 with factory air ride and a bunch of other stuff I wished my Bighorn had :) Here is a list of what I did to this one:
1. Trimmed 2 inches off the front lower airdam beneath the bumper, 2. Added Toyo AT3 33/12.50/R22 all terrain E rate tires running 42psi (set by discount tire not adjusted by me), 3. Added Flowmaster FlowFX muffler, 4. Revel performance rear lowering links.

I downloaded a decibel reading app on my phone and did the following comparisons:

Db readings in aero mode with Stock exhaust no air running inside the car etc:
Idle:37 same before and after mods
35-40mph: 56 stock then 58 with new tires, then 59 with exhaust and level and tires
75mph: 68 stock then 68 with new tires then 69 with exhaust and level and tires
New tires:
Measurements on new tires to the fender well in aero mode without the drop links
Rear: 7 1/8”
Front: 5”
After the lowering links
It’s about a one inch difference From back to front in normal ride height and the off-road settings. It’s a half inch back to front in aero mode.
I DO get an error if trying to drop to entry exit mode. I haven’t tried to change it to see at what point I don’t get the error and what amount of drop it permits without, but that said I never use E/E mode, I have amp research electronic side running boards and they sit only a few inches off the ground in E/E mode anyway so I never used it.

the exhaust is super simple to do, I clearly loved it once so I added the same to this truck too :) I will note that this new exhaust seems more quiet at idle. It may get louder over time but for certain quieter at idle. But when on the throttle I love the sound. On highway it’s perfect. The only annoying thing is how it sounds when it drops to 4cyl eco mode. The. It sound a bit putt putt putt but I just tap the gas or run it in tow haul mode (which I find enjoyable for the downshifting sounds anyway and it never goes into eco mode). I did wrap my muffler both times with a titanium fiberglass header wrap and then covered with a fiberglass heat shield to keep cabin noise to a minimum. I cannot say if it reduces sound or not but it cost me 75 bucks and I figured it was worth it. Ram did such a good nob on interior and ride and sound quality I wanted to keep as much as possible.
The links are straightforward and simple to do. Takes 5 minutes or less to swap out. The time is used up in the setting them to the right size, measuring them, then driving it to get it to self adjust then measure again and then reset as needed. Still was done in about a half hour.
THE TIRES:
I love these tires. I am using the stock ram 22” wheels and I got these tires for 295.00/ea at discount tire. Found them on Walmart at that price and they matched. They are way cheaper than highly loved grapplers (and I have heard and read here about how much people love the grapplers) but I couldn’t convince myself to spend the 400+ a tire ( I would have gone 285/55/r22’s which were pricing at around 450/tire for me) it just sounded like so much for a tire and I highway drive with a half dozen to a dozen camping trips a year. Having now added the Toyo’s I am very happy with my choice (time will tell, I know) and I think they are awesome.
I hope this helps and thanks for all the other helpful threads here. Reach out with any questions.

Attachments

• EE84C242-8725-4870-A5E0-B6C513A23F53.jpeg
    EE84C242-8725-4870-A5E0-B6C513A23F53.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 74
  • EDA6C42F-0F26-4759-95B5-B5DE8D638BCF.jpeg
    EDA6C42F-0F26-4759-95B5-B5DE8D638BCF.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 58EAB7B9-9A0A-4674-8E82-08EDB94BE04D.jpeg
    58EAB7B9-9A0A-4674-8E82-08EDB94BE04D.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 4D20B9F1-B496-4008-B99A-ABC9C10B327B.jpeg
    4D20B9F1-B496-4008-B99A-ABC9C10B327B.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 73
  • D7ABECF6-EE60-4F21-B0B7-E62D9201F2D2.jpeg
    D7ABECF6-EE60-4F21-B0B7-E62D9201F2D2.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 21192D41-98E7-4119-BD65-7A202CE29B0B.jpeg
    21192D41-98E7-4119-BD65-7A202CE29B0B.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 4CD16797-EBE3-4670-B7F4-4AFB2498F022.jpeg
    4CD16797-EBE3-4670-B7F4-4AFB2498F022.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 023BE709-F971-4D22-B442-ADEAA31BFE91.jpeg
    023BE709-F971-4D22-B442-ADEAA31BFE91.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DEB713E1-3432-4E3D-BFFF-3DACA3777D81.jpeg
    DEB713E1-3432-4E3D-BFFF-3DACA3777D81.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 64
  • EA4A6F74-197E-4121-B32F-DAC407F7EF1E.jpeg
    EA4A6F74-197E-4121-B32F-DAC407F7EF1E.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 70

JFern

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I figured I would post some of what I did to my 2020 Ram here. I found a lot of useful information on this site and wanted to give a bit back. Hope it helps. Just a bit of background, I owned a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn that I purchased new. It had the standard list of Bughorn options on it but I did pay for the Katskin leather upgrade and I would highly recommend it. Very well made, custom options to choose from and overall a great product. I also used a rear drop spring kit to lower the rear by about two inches or so (going for a sport truck look) and I added air lift 1000 air springs so that when I towed or had a full bed of stuff it wouldn’t sag. They worked great. I was able to drill a hole in the hitch receiver assembly for the air schrader valve, it worked great. I have pictures here, but it hauled our razor and trailer just fine. I also added Pirelli Scorpion Verde 175/50/R22 on it with custom wheels that had a positive offset of about 15. I wanted a little bit more sidewall. Loved those tires and they held up fine for all I did with them and ran really quiet. I also added the flow master flowFX muffler and loved the sound. Deep and throaty when on the throttle with zero drone at highway speeds and low cabin noise. Highly recommend it. More on that below.

I just traded it in and got a 2020 1500 Laramie 4x4 with factory air ride and a bunch of other stuff I wished my Bighorn had :) Here is a list of what I did to this one:
1. Trimmed 2 inches off the front lower airdam beneath the bumper, 2. Added Toyo AT3 33/12.50/R22 all terrain E rate tires running 42psi (set by discount tire not adjusted by me), 3. Added Flowmaster FlowFX muffler, 4. Revel performance rear lowering links.

I downloaded a decibel reading app on my phone and did the following comparisons:

35-40mph: 56 stock then 58 with new tires, then 59 with exhaust and level and tires
New tires:
Measurements on new tires to the fender well in aero mode without the drop links
After the lowering links
It’s about a one inch difference From back to front in normal ride height and the off-road settings. It’s a half inch back to front in aero mode.
I DO get an error if trying to drop to entry exit mode. I haven’t tried to change it to see at what point I don’t get the error and what amount of drop it permits without, but that said I never use E/E mode, I have amp research electronic side running boards and they sit only a few inches off the ground in E/E mode anyway so I never used it.

the exhaust is super simple to do, I clearly loved it once so I added the same to this truck too :) I will note that this new exhaust seems more quiet at idle. It may get louder over time but for certain quieter at idle. But when on the throttle I love the sound. On highway it’s perfect. The only annoying thing is how it sounds when it drops to 4cyl eco mode. The. It sound a bit putt putt putt but I just tap the gas or run it in tow haul mode (which I find enjoyable for the downshifting sounds anyway and it never goes into eco mode). I did wrap my muffler both times with a titanium fiberglass header wrap and then covered with a fiberglass heat shield to keep cabin noise to a minimum. I cannot say if it reduces sound or not but it cost me 75 bucks and I figured it was worth it. Ram did such a good nob on interior and ride and sound quality I wanted to keep as much as possible.
The links are straightforward and simple to do. Takes 5 minutes or less to swap out. The time is used up in the setting them to the right size, measuring them, then driving it to get it to self adjust then measure again and then reset as needed. Still was done in about a half hour.
THE TIRES:
I love these tires. I am using the stock ram 22” wheels and I got these tires for 295.00/ea at discount tire. Found them on Walmart at that price and they matched. They are way cheaper than highly loved grapplers (and I have heard and read here about how much people love the grapplers) but I couldn’t convince myself to spend the 400+ a tire ( I would have gone 285/55/r22’s which were pricing at around 450/tire for me) it just sounded like so much for a tire and I highway drive with a half dozen to a dozen camping trips a year. Having now added the Toyo’s I am very happy with my choice (time will tell, I know) and I think they are awesome.
I hope this helps and thanks for all the other helpful threads here. Reach out with any questions.
6BA48770-F8F9-4365-B4F7-2C01329A26F3.jpeg

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
Surprising the comparison for dB on the exhausts next to the magnaflow 19429 setup I did.

I believe the increase in pipe diameter for tailpipes and outlet reduce the putt putt effect.

My readings are in the performance section of the forum.

JFern

Reaction score
Surprising the comparison for dB on the exhausts next to the magnaflow 19429 setup I did.

I believe the increase in pipe diameter for tailpipes and outlet reduce the putt putt effect.

My readings are in the performance section of the forum.

JFern

Reaction score
Yes and I think the putt putt sound is also the result of the the stock resonators being left on as well. Just a thought.

Apettit13

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New tires:
After the lowering links

THE TIRES:
How did you go about trimming the air damn? I have considered removing mine entirely, but I really like the look of yours trimmed.

JFern

Reaction score
How did you go about trimming the air damn? I have considered removing mine entirely, but I really like the look of yours trimmed.
I meant to explain that but forgot. I just have a porter cable hand grinder and put a cutting disc/ wheel on it. I took two inch green frog tape and taped along the bottom edge. As it got to the corner I just dropped about an inch on that and taped the cut line the way I liked it. I would recommend starting your cut in the bottom center in case you screw up anything and then just follow the tape line along as you go it will melt the air dam a little bit but then I just took some sandpaper and sand at the bottom edge when I was done and it turned out beautifully the bigger chunks that melted and kind of stuck you can usually scrape off with the flat edge of a screwdriver or something like that but it was pretty clean after it was sanded

Users who are viewing this thread