5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My First Oil Change - Some Notes for those interested in trying it themselves

Jim64

Reaction score
I did my first oil change today and everything went well I was at 6100. My experience was pretty much the same as yours. No problem with the filter it came right off. My truck is a 2020 bought in March. I agree with you on getting your engine up to temp before changing that’s the way I have always done my oil changes. I used a couple of oil pads from work to stuff up under the filter before taking it off no mess at all.

ssick92

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing my first oil change myself when the time comes (a long way from now), but I'm curious how a "self oil-change" can affect the warranty? Is there any risk of the FCA denying a warranty claim because either a) they don't have a record of an oil change being performed within the first year or b) if I tell them I did it myself that they claim that I did not perform the oil change correctly?

Wondering what y'alls experiences are.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing my first oil change myself when the time comes (a long way from now), but I'm curious how a "self oil-change" can affect the warranty? Is there any risk of the FCA denying a warranty claim because either a) they don't have a record of an oil change being performed within the first year or b) if I tell them I did it myself that they claim that I did not perform the oil change correctly?

I spoke with my advisor, he said just keep your receipts along with a log of miles and date and you will be fine.

To deny a warranty would have be oil related, such as you didn't tighten the oil filter correctly and it leaks and you drive without oil and grenade your motor. Or they find your oil is super dirty because you never changed it and it caused a problem with the valvetrain in the motor. Those kinds of things. I've never had an oil change at the dealer and they have never questioned a warranty issue I had because of it.

I honestly don't trust them to do my oil change correctly. Oil techs aren't paid well and they don't care about your car. Things I worry about... not draining the oil all the way, not using the oil I paid for, not changing the filter, stripping the drain bolt, turning on the engine without any oil because they forgot to put it in (happens more often than you think), checking my air filter & forgetting to put it back in, overfilling the crankcase, dinging my door on the lift posts, getting grease stains on my seat and all kinds of other stuff I can't think of right now.

When you change your own oil, you know it's getting done right, the way you want, you know that synthetic you paid for is being used, that you replaced the filter and that the oil level is right.

Stevenc150

Reaction score

They've always taken my word even tho I'm a nerd and track mine on a spreadsheet and offered it. As an added "layer of protection", I also started logging them in on the Mopar owner app/website so they can easily check it themselves...but they never do even when I offered at my latest trade-in

Scram1500

Reaction score
I spoke with my advisor, he said just keep your receipts along with a log of miles and date and you will be fine.

To deny a warranty would have be oil related, such as you didn't tighten the oil filter correctly and it leaks and you drive without oil and grenade your motor. Or they find your oil is super dirty because you never changed it and it caused a problem with the valvetrain in the motor. Those kinds of things. I've never had an oil change at the dealer and they have never questioned a warranty issue I had because of it.

I honestly don't trust them to do my oil change correctly. Oil techs aren't paid well and they don't care about your car. Things I worry about... not draining the oil all the way, not using the oil I paid for, not changing the filter, stripping the drain bolt, turning on the engine without any oil because they forgot to put it in (happens more often than you think), checking my air filter & forgetting to put it back in, overfilling the crankcase, dinging my door on the lift posts, getting grease stains on my seat and all kinds of other stuff I can't think of right now.

When you change your own oil, you know it's getting done right, the way you want, you know that synthetic you paid for is being used, that you replaced the filter and that the oil level is right.
In my experience overfilling happens 100% of time at the dealer. My free change (nothing is free) came with an extra 1.5 quarts. They probably let it drain for less than a minute, add 7 quarts, slam the hood and on to the next

SD Rebel

Reaction score
In my experience overfilling happens 100% of time at the dealer. My free change (nothing is free) came with an extra 1.5 quarts. They probably let it drain for less than a minute, add 7 quarts, slam the hood and on to the next

Yep, one of the reasons why I started doing my own oil changes years ago, on even my new vehicles. Why pay someone to get it wrong and have to fix it yourself later?

Years ago, I had an E46 BMW that I brought in to have the rear differential fluid changed. Not only did I supply the fluid, but the two crush washers and even put labels for the bolt torque settings right on the bottle for the tech. Come to find out a couple of weeks later that my drain bolt was slowly leaking fluid. Turns out the tech forget to install the crush washer on the drain bolt, you know the most important one! He got the one on the fill bolt though. I had to drain the fluid to get a crush washer on the bolt, essentially have to do the job again myself. I wasted $40 in labor and $30 in fluids because some lazy tech screwed up. I said never again.

I have a great indy mechanic to fix stuff I can't do myself on my out of warranty vehicles. But any minor services like oil, air filter, cabin air filter, etc. I'll do those myself.

Jako

Reaction score
Similar to my experiences, not only dealer but local shops also.

parnine

Reaction score
Which Fumoto fits the 2019 ?

I used the non swivel version, F106N, found here , a bit less expensive and no real need for the swivel, plus longer nippled so hose attaches and stays secure with out any additional adapter.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used the non swivel version, F106N, found here , a bit less expensive and no real need for the swivel, plus longer nippled so hose attaches and stays secure with out any additional adapter.
I don't know your truck details, but I chose the swivel version to avoid the front sway bar. I haven't had any issues with the hose attaching and staying secure. But yes—either variant of the 106 will work.

Ccm12

Reaction score
I don't know your truck details, but I chose the swivel version to avoid the front sway bar. I haven't had any issues with the hose attaching and staying secure. But yes—either variant of the 106 will work.
Many thanks!

ram0686

Reaction score

Our trucks take 7 quarts from the factory. From that point on, they only take 6.5 +/- or so quarts. I'll NEVER let anyone change my oil.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Our trucks take 7 quarts from the factory. From that point on, they only take 6.5 +/- or so quarts. I'll NEVER let anyone change my oil.

Absolutely, the dealership drains it on a lift and the truck level, will probably leave 1/2 quart in it. At least with what I observed with my oil change, if you drain on front ramps, the angle of the oil pan and drain bolt will allow for almost a complete 7 quart fill, assuming you allow a long drain on the oil pan. I put back exactly 7 quarts and the fill line is just touching the top fill mark.

parnine

Reaction score

2019 BigHorn 5.7 no etourqe 4x4

@SpeedyV - are you using the Fumoto hose adapter, or just attaching the hose directly to the 'rather short protruding' nipple?

@Ccm12 - FYI the nipple on the F106N is much longer, and Fumoto recommends a hose adapter for the swivel version as the nipple is so short. There is plenty of room for either version.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2019 BigHorn 5.7 no etourqe 4x4

@SpeedyV - are you using the Fumoto hose adapter, or just attaching the hose directly to the 'rather short protruding' nipple?

@Ccm12 - FYI the nipple on the F106N is much longer, and Fumoto recommends a hose adapter for the swivel version as the nipple is so short. There is plenty of room for either version.
Yes - I use the snap-on hose kit from Fumoto. Works like a champ! My thinking was to maintain plenty of clearance for unexpected movement/debris, as well as the ability to aim wherever I want for easy access. One side benefit of these valves is that they drain a lot more slowly than the factory plug...which directly pegs the sway bar with high velocity when you first open it up!

Jako

Reaction score
Yes - I use the snap-on hose kit from Fumoto. Works like a champ! My thinking was to maintain plenty of clearance for unexpected movement/debris, as well as the ability to aim wherever I want for easy access. One side benefit of these valves is that they drain a lot more slowly than the factory plug...which directly pegs the sway bar with high velocity when you first open it up!
I had a little of that "high velocity" with my last oil change and also installed the Valvo Max. Very happy now - no more "high velocity". Nice description of the way it first comes out.

WW2

Reaction score
I never have a dealer service visit without some error....Too much oil, too little oil, air filter left out..etc etc etc....Last week I thought I had broke the streak..I had just a tire rotation and a recall on the wiper arm...I told them to NOT change the oil that I was doing that....All was good til I saw they reset the oil life to 100 percent...it was not changed...small thing but something none the less..ALWAYS something...

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I never have a dealer service visit without some error....Too much oil, too little oil, air filter left out..etc etc etc....Last week I thought I had broke the streak..I had just a tire rotation and a recall on the wiper arm...I told them to NOT change the oil that I was doing that....All was good til I saw they reset the oil life to 100 percent...it was not changed...small thing but something none the less..ALWAYS something...

Yup, tired of paying people to screw up my vehicles.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
Got some PUP on the way deciding on what filter to pick up and i'm going to try and tackle it this weekend, hopefully it goes as smooth as yours.

Users who are viewing this thread