5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My CB Install

Vigocarpath

Reaction score
Our group makes use of good old fashioned CB's for communications, and I finally got around to installing one in the pickup since it sees regular towing duty as well as occasional trail use. I like to keep my stuff tidy and not visually obtrusive, so I spent some time investigating what the center console area was really made of, and found the perfect spot for me:

View attachment 45088

View attachment 45089

View attachment 45090

View attachment 45091

View attachment 45092

This is basically what I want to do with my FT-891. I want to mount the head unit where the CD player is. Thanks for this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHFT

Reaction score
Our group makes use of good old fashioned CB's for communications, and I finally got around to installing one in the pickup since it sees regular towing duty as well as occasional trail use. I like to keep my stuff tidy and not visually obtrusive, so I spent some time investigating what the center console area was really made of, and found the perfect spot for me:

View attachment 45088

View attachment 45089

View attachment 45090

View attachment 45091

View attachment 45092
Great install, very clean, I am going to do this myself thanks for the idea! What did you use to fill in the sides of the radio?

tobyw

Reaction score
Great install, very clean, I am going to do this myself thanks for the idea! What did you use to fill in the sides of the radio?

I used a piece of plastic splash guard/mud flap material. I bought a set of them off Amazon a couple years back and have found the generic flat pieces of textured plastic to be very handy for stuff just like this.

PHFT

Reaction score
I used a piece of plastic splash guard/mud flap material. I bought a set of them off Amazon a couple years back and have found the generic flat pieces of textured plastic to be very handy for stuff just like this.
Thanks, I found a small sheet of plastic on amazon that I am waiting on to finish it all up, the Midland was a tad taller than yours so I had to use a Dremel tool to open it up a bit more which I was hoping to avoid but I wouldn't have used that space for anything anyways, I also had to drill a hole in the back for the cable but that wasn't a big deal. Thanks again for this post made this install very easy and fast.

Attachments

• 64C1C3DD-77D6-48A2-B643-6B52C63F0C0C.JPG
    64C1C3DD-77D6-48A2-B643-6B52C63F0C0C.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_8301.jpg
    IMG_8301.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 0A015C6F-F39C-4653-BA7A-85CE0C7AAD6E.JPG
    0A015C6F-F39C-4653-BA7A-85CE0C7AAD6E.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_8303.jpg
    IMG_8303.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

ProZak512

Reaction score
Waking up an old thread to say I'm totally doing this next. Did y'all have to fabricate a bracket or support to hold the CB in place? Anybody have pics of that..?

While I'm at it, I need a better antenna than my stupid magnet mount cheapo. Any recommendations?

-Zak-

ShinyAndChrome

Reaction score
Waking up an old thread to say I'm totally doing this next. Did y'all have to fabricate a bracket or support to hold the CB in place? Anybody have pics of that..?

While I'm at it, I need a better antenna than my stupid magnet mount cheapo. Any recommendations?

-Zak-
Its been a while but I did a similar build to Toby on my truck using his as inspiration. The setup I used was taking a vertical mounting bracket and using bolts & steel spaces to mount it to the bottom of the front console faceplate. I've attached some photos of my setup which is very secure.

For my antenna mount, I have it mounted to a stud on the side of my headache rack from ProTech. For what its worth, when running the coaxial cable into the cab, there is a filler plate on the firewall for HD trucks where a clutch rod would go through that can be removed with only 2 bolts, drilled, and reinstalled for a clean pass thru.

Attachments

• CB Console 01.jpg
    CB Console 01.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 194
  • CB Console 02.jpg
    CB Console 02.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 197
  • CB Bracket 02.jpg
    CB Bracket 02.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 200
  • CB Bracket 01.jpg
    CB Bracket 01.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 195

saylor

Reaction score
prolly my next project is CB + power inverter in the center console thx for the post and instructions ill add to it when i get in there myself

tac63

Reaction score
I'm running a front fender mount from theantennafarm.com. They sell a no holes drilled antenna mount that uses a factory mount bolt for the antenna.

Karl1088

Reaction score
Its been a while but I did a similar build to Toby on my truck using his as inspiration. The setup I used was taking a vertical mounting bracket and using bolts & steel spaces to mount it to the bottom of the front console faceplate. I've attached some photos of my setup which is very secure.

For my antenna mount, I have it mounted to a stud on the side of my headache rack from ProTech. For what its worth, when running the coaxial cable into the cab, there is a filler plate on the firewall for HD trucks where a clutch rod would go through that can be removed with only 2 bolts, drilled, and reinstalled for a clean pass thru.
Where do you wired the CB? Have you Infos oder a pic? Thank you

Karl1088

Reaction score
Thank you, thats a swich panel for 8 aux functions

cmr287

Reaction score
Any chance of posting a "how to" about getting that console out? I need to do something similar but a bit shy about digging into it...

[mention]tobyw [/mention]

Id love to see how you did this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigjake77

Reaction score
Monday will be calling Larson Electronics to order one of there no drill antenna mounts.
https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p...ing-bracket-4-1-2-holes-3rd-brake-light-mount
Still debating on which radio I will be using, but leaning more towards a SSB radio which will make it to big for putting it where my CD player is.
Have a configuration figured out using Ram Mount components. Seems to be the best way I can come up with for installing a CB/SSB without drilling any holes.
As far as the no drill antenna mount goes had one on my last 2010 2500 Diesel and it worked out great even with two lights on either side on the antenna.
Sorry looked and have no photos of that rig.
I’m reluctant to permanently modify too many features or electrical components on my limited so I’m going to to try to use this mount to hold my CB and scanner rig or my work laptop alternately.

Appreciate the cable routing suggestions too.

Attachments

• DCEAC430-5E19-4434-94BF-83BD5C936238.jpeg
    DCEAC430-5E19-4434-94BF-83BD5C936238.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online