5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My CB Install

tobyw

Reaction score
Our group makes use of good old fashioned CB's for communications, and I finally got around to installing one in the pickup since it sees regular towing duty as well as occasional trail use. I like to keep my stuff tidy and not visually obtrusive, so I spent some time investigating what the center console area was really made of, and found the perfect spot for me:

IMG_5932.JPG

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5921.JPG

IMG_6309.JPG

IMG_6314.JPG

tobyw

Reaction score
I probably have about 5 hours into this between pulling the console, sipping cold beverages while contemplating ideas, mockup, finishing it out with final materials, wiring and reassembly. The console is not difficult to pull/replace at all, but it is awkward to handle by yourself. There are a total of (6) fasteners that hold it in place, all of which use a 10mm socket.

rnoggle

Reaction score
Do you happen to know whats behind the cordless charging pad/phone holder?
I don't have cordless charging and my phone doesn't fit in those little flaps for the holder.
Was thinking about removing that and putting my CB there.

tobyw

Reaction score
Do you happen to know whats behind the cordless charging pad/phone holder?
I don't have cordless charging and my phone doesn't fit in those little flaps for the holder.
Was thinking about removing that and putting my CB there.

You can see that area in this picture. It's the section below the CD player that has the gridlines molded into it.

IMG_5942.JPG

tobyw

Reaction score
@tobyw Can you show where you mounted the antenna? I would really like to avoid drilling holes anywhere.

I mounted the antenna on my toolbox using a cheap angle bracket that I had laying around. I ran a ground wire from one of the mounting bolts down to a ground lug on the underside of the cab directly below the rear seats. The coax itself runs from the console and through the firewall using an existing rubber grommet right beside brake pedal, and then runs down along the driver side frame rail and up between the back of the cab and the bed, to the bracket on the toolbox. There wasn't an inch to spare!!

IMG_6329.JPG

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Old technology replaced by older technology haha, love it! (I'm a Ham myself, so I can see doing the same thing perhaps).

Where'd you mount your antenna?

*EDIT* man! posted near the same time

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is a really slick installation; I like it. The only thing that was keeping me from installing a CB was where to put it. I never use the CD player anyway.

EdsGG

Reaction score
No signs of an external speaker, did you make use of one?
IF not how does it sound and is it loud enough to hear over road noise?
Love the installation. Only problem with mine is a Galaxy DX 959 SSB.

Pino F

Reaction score
I wonder if I could install the CD player on my 2020 with 12 inch screen

Pino

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobyw

Reaction score
No signs of an external speaker, did you make use of one?
IF not how does it sound and is it loud enough to hear over road noise?
Love the installation. Only problem with mine is a Galaxy DX 959 SSB.

No external speaker. I was a little concerned about it being buried in the console, but honestly it's very clear and has plenty of volume.

DocDiRyder

Reaction score
Our group makes use of good old fashioned CB's for communications, and I finally got around to installing one in the pickup since it sees regular towing duty as well as occasional trail use. I like to keep my stuff tidy and not visually obtrusive, so I spent some time investigating what the center console area was really made of, and found the perfect spot for me:

View attachment 45088

View attachment 45089

View attachment 45090

View attachment 45091

View attachment 45092
Any chance of posting a "how to" about getting that console out? I need to do something similar but a bit shy about digging into it...

EdsGG

Reaction score
Monday will be calling Larson Electronics to order one of there no drill antenna mounts.
https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p...ing-bracket-4-1-2-holes-3rd-brake-light-mount
Still debating on which radio I will be using, but leaning more towards a SSB radio which will make it to big for putting it where my CD player is.
Have a configuration figured out using Ram Mount components. Seems to be the best way I can come up with for installing a CB/SSB without drilling any holes.
As far as the no drill antenna mount goes had one on my last 2010 2500 Diesel and it worked out great even with two lights on either side on the antenna.
Sorry looked and have no photos of that rig.

SleepyWeasel

Reaction score
Great install, almost looks factory stock. I'm looking to install a front mounted speaker CB due to my hearing. My 2020 does not have the CD player anyways. What do you think the max width and height of a radio would fit without extensive cutting? The radio I'm looking at is 6.69" wide by 2.05" high.

tobyw

Reaction score
What do you think the max width and height of a radio would fit without extensive cutting? The radio I'm looking at is 6.69" wide by 2.05" high.

I'm going to say that will be probably pretty tight, definitely outside the perimeter of the factory CD player (or the storage bin on the non-CD setups). For reference, the little Uniden that I installed is about 4-1/2" wide by 1-3/8" high. That was one of my criteria for choosing a CB - I didn't want to cut the console in case I ever want to return things to stock. Grab a piece of construction paper and make a template, lay it over the storage bin area, and see how it lays out? There is ample room behind the console so unless it's a mile deep you should be fine there...

Users who are viewing this thread