5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Bed CRACKED!

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wheel my truck every weekend so I've got to know it pretty well. Recently, I started feeling my bed getting wobbly and started hearing noise from the rear end as well. I checked to make sure all the bolts were tight and I ended up finding cracks on the rear portion of the bed. The crack is following the welded support on the underside of the bed. Hopefully it's covered under warranty somehow... I'm not sure how they would go about fixing this.

Screenshot_20210329-192529_Gallery.jpg 20210329_173859.jpg 20210329_173930.jpg 20210329_191958.jpg

Last edited:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this is interesting. I was out waiting for the bus to come pick up my daughter and I snuck under my truck "just to see". On my truck it looks like I have a lot more surface area where the mount meets the bed... or is it just me?
bed mount1.jpg

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe... different angle too. Also I think the spot welds are different too... which probably isn't unusual. I was hoping to spot a difference that helped your cause. Just for kicks here's a side by side where I tried to make the cutout the same size.
1617121754828.png

Maybe a slight difference here...
1617121826251.png

Probably not enough to be meaningful.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Holy crap..., it's probably because the sheet metal is so damn thin on these beds. What's the long term going be like with this thing? I miss my 4th gen more and more everyday

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe... different angle too. Also I think the spot welds are different too... which probably isn't unusual. I was hoping to spot a difference that helped your cause. Just for kicks here's a side by side where I tried to make the cutout the same size.
View attachment 87547

View attachment 87548

The weld looks to have heated more of the sheet metal on mine. Usually when that happens it restructures the carbon making it weaker. My tailgate has also caused me problems. I've been dealing with bad bushings/fitment that cause a jiggle on the passenger side. It's a really annoying sound when I open the back window. I'll be making a video shortly.

bcwood64

Reaction score
Interested to see what the dealer says! If they give you a hard time, maybe go to a different dealer?

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Good luck bro. Don't tell them you're having fun in washboards and chit. Give it a good wash and when you get there tell them the truck is a mall crawler and that you don't understand why the bed has cracked like that.

CRam92

Reaction score
Just curious, was there anything in the bed when it happened?

doolin64

Reaction score
View attachment 87547

View attachment 87548

The cracked bed looks like the the support was sealed with some sort of caulking or adhesive where the the bed on the right does not. Was there a manufacturing issue that was corrected/half a$$ fixed from the factory? How many miles?

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that something doesn't look quite right... but I don't know if that's post crack, and the OP just ran their finger around it to assess the damage or something done on the mfg. line.

RamRebelSteel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just curious, was there anything in the bed when it happened?
I never carry anything in my bed

The cracked bed looks like the the support was sealed with some sort of caulking or adhesive where the the bed on the right does not. Was there a manufacturing issue that was corrected/half a$$ fixed from the factory? How many miles?
The truck has about 40k miles. It's very strange. I've asked a few people who wheel with their overland rack, tent, water jug etc and they haven't had this issue.
I agree that something doesn't look quite right... but I don't know if that's post crack, and the OP just ran their finger around it to assess the damage or something done on the mfg. line.
It's cracked right on the welds of both sides. It's not right at all lol. One day after work I go so tired of thr rattle sound I was hearing so i started shaking the bed, pushing up from under the truck and then I realized my tailgate had a lot of play so it was contributing to the rattle I was hearing. I took off the bed and the rattle reduced significantly, but it was still there. That's when I started looking at the bed very thoroughly and found those cracks. I got some footage of the wobble and sound with my gopro but I'm vacationing in Miami ATM... will post when I get back (y)

Users who are viewing this thread