5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2 year experiment is over. RAM is dead to me. Going to FORD

djm11778

Reaction score
That is cute. Ihad a Ford 2.7 eco boost. 5k the engine blow up. They put a new one in and it developed piston slap really bad. They rebuilt the engine and it would burn a quart of oil every 2000 miles. They said it was normal. At 40k it started running like crap no power. The intake valve were full of carbon because the engine is direct injection and the gas doesn't clean the valves. At 58k I bought a new Dodge Happy birthday to me. Pick your poison every brand can have a lemon. Don't get me started on a coworkers chevy and his second transmission and other problems.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

U

User_3336

That is cute. Ihad a Ford 2.7 eco boost. 5k the engine blow up. They put a new one in and it developed piston slap really bad. They rebuilt the engine and it would burn a quart of oil every 2000 miles. They said it was normal. At 40k it started running like crap no power. The intake valve were full of carbon because the engine is direct injection and the gas doesn't clean the valves. At 58k I bought a new Dodge Happy birthday to me. Pick your poison every brand can have a lemon. Don't get me started on a coworkers chevy and his second transmission and other problems.

Direct injection engines are in A LOT of trucks these days (not just FORD)....Your choices might be limited in the future.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Direct injection engines are in A LOT of trucks these days (not just FORD)....Your choices might be limited in the future.
Every make has problems.
My 2015 F150 2.7 was fine for the year I had it, admittedly not a very long time (14,000 ish miles). Never had a warranty issue, it was sold in order to buy a house. I’d have bought another Ford in 2019 save their ridiculous pricing, which was 10K over a comparably equipped RAM.

Yes Ford has had some motor issues, the early 2011-2012 3.5 ecos did have some issues. After that, the 3.5 was pretty well regarded. The 2.7 has surprisingly been their best motor of the group. The 2017-18 5.0’s had a definite oil burning issue, its all over their forums and the internet at large.
GMs “chevy shake” and AL45 or AL90 8 speed transmission woes make their engineering and design suspect.

So what to do? Since all 3 big truck makers produce some lemons, you can’t say any one maker is better than the other. Choose the platform, ride, drivetrain and options that you prefer and just go for it. Buy a long factory extended warranty if you are unsure and just enjoy your ride.

We bought a 2019 RAM Limited due to its ride and interior/tech. We rode in a new Chevy LTZ and were not impressed at all. I actually never test drove a 2019 F150, knowing that they only changed to the 10 speed and upped the hp/tq a bit. Their ride and interiors hadn’t progressed any since my 2015.

Our RAM has been excellent overall and with 10.5K miles on it I’m still very impressed. I figure that if the truck had significant problems, they’d have showed up by now. If I had a problem truck I’d be moving into the service center until it was fixed under the 3/36 warranty. This forum has had several owners follow lemon laws, send attorney letters, file for arbitration and use various other pressure tactics sucessfully.

The best thing is that my wife enjoys the truck every time she’s in it as a driver or passenger and that’s a super big plus for me.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Yep, Chev owners have their own teeny-weeny little issue. This thread on the GM truck forum has a mere 12,730 replies...

Shake or Vibration Issues 1 2 3 4 849

By Silver space ship, August 4, 2013
  • 12,730 replies

Zig10

Reaction score
2018 3.5 Ecoboost on my wife's truck has the cam phaser rattle at 16,000 miles. Other than that I love the truck. 2015 GMC Yukon XL was bought back By GM and swapped for a new 2016 model, and the second one was fantastic. My 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk sat in the service department for 6 days to figure out why it was clunking when it shifted. Turned out to be a subframe connector that couldn't even be seen from the bottom or top of the engine bay. Once that was fixed it was perfect until the day I traded it in.

If any one was better than the other I'd probably be more brand loyal, but I am at the point where I just buy what I like and roll the dice...

Users who are viewing this thread