5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muzzys AC hack.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
wth is the point of the this bypass?
It's not a bypass. Study the picture posted above by @HSKR R/T in Post #31 of this thread.
A ball valve is inserted in a heater hose so that hot engine coolant can be stopped from going into the heater core. This allows your A/C to blow much colder.
I have done this mod to my 2019 Ram and the difference is quite noticeable.

Steve

Gren71

Reaction score
It's not a bypass. Study the picture posted above by @HSKR R/T in Post #31 of this thread.
A ball valve is inserted in a heater hose so that hot engine coolant can be stopped from going into the heater core. This allows your A/C to blow much colder.
I have done this mod to my 2019 Ram and the difference is quite noticeable.

Steve
😲

man....I was planning on eventually going to the dealer to get it looked at for a possible warranty claim.

victor1829

Reaction score
These are the two hoses coming off the heater core on my 2022 3.6. The top arrow shows the hose going into water pump behind MGU. The bottom arrow shows the hose connecting to a double tee in the lower radiator hose.
View attachment 184987
Edit: There are more rubber hoses on this engine than I've seen on any other engine
So it goes in the top one and can I make it closer to the top to be more accesible?

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
😲

man....I was planning on eventually going to the dealer to get it looked at for a possible warranty claim.
This kit was developed because in the early years of the 5th Gen, the only cutoff for heat was via the blend doors, and those weren't effectively closing off the heater core when heat was not required.
It is not a factory installed part.

So it goes in the top one and can I make it closer to the top to be more accesible?
It goes on the hose labelled ENG OUT, as pointed out by @theblet in post #20 of this thread.
That hose on the 5.7L engine is the output of the water pump to the heater core, and that's where you want to put it.

Steve

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It really didn't matter which hose it goes in. You will get the same effect. And if you don't mind cutting your factory hose, it can go wherever you want along the rubber hose.

gomango392

Reaction score
Folks, take your cabin air filter out! That's the real issue. The filter is too restrictive. I took mine out and the AC works like it should! My 4th gen was ice cold but it also didn't have a cabin air filter. Took the filter out of my 5th gen and I was amazed at how much better the AC was! Btw, the filter only has 7k miles 😆 it was brand new looking

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Folks, take your cabin air filter out! That's the real issue. The filter is too restrictive. I took mine out and the AC works like it should! My 4th gen was ice cold but it also didn't have a cabin air filter. Took the filter out of my 5th gen and I was amazed at how much better the AC was! Btw, the filter only has 7k miles 😆 it was brand new looking
It definitely will make it blow harder, but not necessarily get cooler.

I replaced mine with a k&n. I just rinse it and don’t re oil. This way there is some filtration, but it still blows good

Tattoofever6971

Reaction score
Trace that small hose and see if it goes into the firewall. On the Hemi, OUT from the water pump is the top hose which is in for the heater core. That's the hose you want
So you only need to block the one not both?
Reason I ask is I need to do a heater core but wanna wait till end of summer
If I only block off the input will the anti freeze still make its way back into the core thru other hose or should I block off both?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So you only need to block the one not both?
Reason I ask is I need to do a heater core but wanna wait till end of summer
If I only block off the input will the anti freeze still make its way back into the core thru other hose or should I block off both?
I'd block off both if your heater core is leaking. You could suck air bubbles into the coolant or have coolant back flow into the heater core when the truck isn't running

Users who are viewing this thread