5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

must have upgrades / accessories

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, most people just put cardboard under their truck instead of installing a catch can.
A catch can, is not for oil leaks. A catch can, catches the oil in the PCV system, to prevent the oil from gumming up the intake system. Min has caught about 5 ounces in 7,000 miles.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A catch can, is not for oil leaks. A catch can, catches the oil in the PCV system, to prevent the oil from gumming up the intake system. Min has caught about 5 ounces in 7,000 miles.

I suspect he was being sarcastic. Even so, I once used an oil catch can to capture a leak I had on a motorcycle.

JRD

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your set up

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Read my response again slowly and think.
sorry i wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or what in that garage floor comment lol

i grew up overseas and english is not my first language sometimes it's hard for me to tell

6of36

Reaction score
Can you post a pic of your set up
The first pic is the view of catch can, from drivers side, so you see the can. The second pic, is from the front, so you see the top of the can, and the hoses running to the engine. The third pic, is again from the drivers side, and you can see where the remote oil filter is mounted sort of beneath the catch can. Where the truck is parked, I couldn't easilt get a picture of the remote filter from underneath, but it tucks up behind the bumper.

Attachments

• IMG_20240319_121725969_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240319_121725969_HDR.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20240319_121809986_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240319_121809986_HDR.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20240319_121742601_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240319_121742601_HDR.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 35

JRD

Reaction score
The first pic is the view of catch can, from drivers side, so you see the can. The second pic, is from the front, so you see the top of the can, and the hoses running to the engine. The third pic, is again from the drivers side, and you can see where the remote oil filter is mounted sort of beneath the catch can. Where the truck is parked, I couldn't easilt get a picture of the remote filter from underneath, but it tucks up behind the bumper.
Interesting, 5 ounces is more than I expected. I’m gonna have to look into this

6of36

Reaction score
Interesting, 5 ounces is more than I expected. I’m gonna have to look into this
I'm sure it will slow, after more miles. I'm estimating, because I emptied it 3 times. Once at first oil change, 3,000 miles. Once just before leaving for vacation, doing a pre trip check. At my next oil change, right after trip, at 8,000 miles. I didn't actually measure any of the times, but estimate an ounce and a half, or two each time. It's not a whole lot, but I prefer not burning it, or gumming up intake long term.

M3forged

Reaction score
My must have is the fuse bypass switch from Gotti's Garage. I've been F'N around in the snow since I was 16. Not being able to kick the back end out, to practice accident avoidance techniques ;) in a truck with this kind of power, is just sinful.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My must have is the fuse bypass switch from Gotti's Garage. I've been F'N around in the snow since I was 16. Not being able to kick the back end out, to practice accident avoidance techniques ;) in a truck with this kind of power, is just sinful.

If I hold down my traction control switch for 5 seconds it completely turns of both traction control and stability control and I can spin and kick out the rear end to my hearts content.

Most people are only aware of the "partial off" mode that occurs with a single push of the button.

21.jpg

M3forged

Reaction score
Most people are only aware of the "partial off" mode that occurs with a single push of the button.
I tried all the ways to turn it off, only pulling the fuse works on my 21 Rebel.

JRD

Reaction score
I'm sure it will slow, after more miles. I'm estimating, because I emptied it 3 times. Once at first oil change, 3,000 miles. Once just before leaving for vacation, doing a pre trip check. At my next oil change, right after trip, at 8,000 miles. I didn't actually measure any of the times, but estimate an ounce and a half, or two each time. It's not a whole lot, but I prefer not burning it, or gumming up intake long term.
I’m gonna look into getting one, I don’t drive my truck often so I’d like to get to keep it as long as possible

cpetku

Reaction score
If you have a hemi engine, the absolute #1 mod you must have is an oil catch can.
You got your vehicles wrong. The "Model A" with a simple oil slinger for the rear main (no seal) is what needs a catch can. Sorry, no hemi in that...

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m gonna look into getting one, I don’t drive my truck often so I’d like to get to keep it as long as possible

Oil blow by can cause carbon to build up on valves with direct injection. However the Hemi is port injected. Fuel is a very good solvent and will keep the valves clean of any tiny amount of oil that gets by.

There is no benefit to a catch can on the hemi even if it happens to catch a little oil. These forums are good at convincing some to spend their money on gadgets that have no real value.

BlueHemi1500

Reaction score
I have had my 2020 now for about 8 months:
Here is my list of mods that I consider must-have mods/options and as always your mileage may vary. :)
  • SprayIN Bed liner - mine came with the factory option (worth every penny)
  • Steps of some sort - mine came with the factory wheel-to-wheel flat steps
  • Bed cover - I choose a tri-fold removable cover - easy to take on and reinstall on the fly - vinyl (lots of varying ideas here.)
  • Security By-pass cable and :
    • AlfaOBD - Android (only software) - allows to make changes to various options to the truck (not an engine tuner)
    • Android device to run the above software
    • A Bluetooth device to read OBD codes (I bought OBDLink MX+) works like a champ
      • All in about $200.00, a single trip to a dealer to make changes will easily cost that or more.
        • I bought all these during "Black Friday" sales, so your costs will vary.
    • I have made several changes to my truck using info from YouTube and the several forums I am a member
      • Spend time to learn and understand before making any changes.
      • Learn to make backups every time you make a change
  • My truck came with the factory rubber floor mats, (I use my truck for truck stuff, and people hauler) the floor mats do well to capture mud, and snow drippings. The mats are easily cleaned and vacuumed out vs. carpet mats (very personal opinion worth every penny.)
  • My truck came with the factory bed lights (use my truck a lot after dark) very handy to have. (worth every penny)
  • My truck came with the factory sliding bed rails (worth every penny) as I stated earlier I use my truck for truck stuff.
    • Elastic cargo Net
    • Rachet Straps
    • A selection of Bungee cords
I have bought all of the above items over time except the factory options installed when I bought my Nused truck.
Hemi1500

6of36

Reaction score
Oil blow by can cause carbon to build up on valves with direct injection. However the Hemi is port injected. Fuel is a very good solvent and will keep the valves clean of any tiny amount of oil that gets by.

There is no benefit to a catch can on the hemi even if it happens to catch a little oil. These forums are good at convincing some to spend their money on gadgets that have no real value.
Yeah, two strokes mix oil and gas, and they don't carbon up.:ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread