5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music on USB flash drive

DragonFire

Reaction score
Hi There, new member here, and a recent buyer of a 2020 Ram Big Horn.
My truck did not come with a Satellite radio which isn't a biggie to me, since I usually listen to only 1 channel. But my old Dodge Charger allowed me to use a USB drive with music and playlists on it. Is that still possible with the new Ram's? It's been awhile, but I think I just had mp3 files on it. Will that still work?

Any better alternatives or advice? oh, and before you tell me about Pandora or Spotify, I do have them on my phone, but aren't thrilled with paying for all the data charges

RJS

Reaction score
My truck did not come with a Satellite radio which isn't a biggie to me, since I usually listen to only 1 channel. But my old Dodge Charger allowed me to use a USB drive with music and playlists on it. Is that still possible with the new Ram's? It's been awhile, but I think I just had mp3 files on it. Will that still work?

Any better alternatives or advice? oh, and before you tell me about Pandora or Spotify, I do have them on my phone, but aren't thrilled with paying for all the data charges
Some thought from a previous post. Might be radio dependent but should get you started. Initially, just try what you have.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yep, it works great. I have a 128 GB Samsung Fit loaded up with MP3s and it works great. I formatted mine FAT32; but some people say you don't have to. I don't like paying for services either and I have a pretty big music library to begin with; so USB works great for me. It works nice with the UConnect voice commands as well...I just say a song, album or an artist I want to hear and it plays it.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, it works great. I have a 128 GB Samsung Fit loaded up with MP3s and it works great. I formatted mine FAT32; but some people say you don't have to. I don't like paying for services either and I have a pretty big music library to begin with; so USB works great for me. It works nice with the UConnect voice commands as well...I just say a song, album or an artist I want to hear and it plays it.
I can confirm that it works great with the 12" UCo also. I also formatted to FAT32, I leave mine plugged into USB3 (rear seat driver side) Mine is a 1TB

DragonFire

Reaction score
I can confirm that it works great with the 12" UCo also. I also formatted to FAT32, I leave mine plugged into USB3 (rear seat driver side) Mine is a 1TB
Do you have any delay with such a big drive? I found one post saying the owner thought it wasn't working, but it turned out to be a long delay in recognizing all the songs on it. It was an old post, like 2016.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have any delay with such a big drive? I found one post saying the owner thought it wasn't working, but it turned out to be a long delay in recognizing all the songs on it. It was an old post, like 2016.
I really have not noticed any delay at all

Jopipe17

Reaction score
Awesome, I was looking at ordering a 64gb flash drive from DJ dirty bass. I habe a 2020 ram 1500 bighorn and wasn't sure if a 62gb flash drive would work or if it had to be downloaded a certain way since I've read few different threads saying how people couldn't get there flash drive to work and it only was showing like a 1/4 of there songs and they had to reformat it and do all kind of stuff lol. I don't have a way of doing that so was jus gonna order it and plug it in an hope for the best lol. But I wanted to make sure before I ordered it will definitely play a 64gb flash drive and how does the music have to be formated? Thanks dude

Jopipe17

Reaction score
Every once in a while, my usb drive starts at the beginning.
So I keep a list of the songs and when I shut off truck I make a mark in the paper.
What size flash drive you use in your ram? I was thinking about ordering a dj dirty bass flash drive for music and he offers a 64gb flash drive and I belive 32gb. I was gonna get the 64gb but I wanted to make sure it will work fine in my truck since I've never used a flash drive since I bought my truck. It's a 2020 ram 1500 bighorn. So does the music files have to be a certain format and certain size gb will work or any usb flash drive with music will work?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What size flash drive you use in your ram? I was thinking about ordering a dj dirty bass flash drive for music and he offers a 64gb flash drive and I belive 32gb. I was gonna get the 64gb but I wanted to make sure it will work fine in my truck since I've never used a flash drive since I bought my truck. It's a 2020 ram 1500 bighorn. So does the music files have to be a certain format and certain size gb will work or any usb flash drive with music will work?

I don't think size matters as much as how the drive is formatted. I use a 128gb drive formatted NTFS. I'm pretty sure both Uconnect 4 and 5 require drives formatted either FAT32 or NTSF will work. However, many new drives 64gb and large come formatted as exFat drives and that won't work. You would need to reformat them to NTFS. I believe most drives below 32gb and below will come formatted as FAT32 which will work.

Your safest file format will be .mp3. If you are downloading MP3 files you won't have a choice, but if you are ripping them from CDs make sure to set it to rip at the highest quality 320kbps.

A 32gb thumb drive should hold several thousand mp3 songs.

Garvanzo

Reaction score
I also run a flash drive and wonder, is it normal for the shuffle to turn off every time you restart the truck. I had a few Challengers with Uconnect 4 and they would stay in whatever setting it was left in last, but the Ram always goes back to playing songs in order. It's a 22 with 8.4" Uconnect 5. Also, it will start back at the beginning about twice a week. I have not found any kind of pattern to that.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also run a flash drive and wonder, is it normal for the shuffle to turn off every time you restart the truck.

No that's not normal. Mine will restart in the middle of the song that was last playing.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I also run a flash drive and wonder, is it normal for the shuffle to turn off every time you restart the truck. I had a few Challengers with Uconnect 4 and they would stay in whatever setting it was left in last, but the Ram always goes back to playing songs in order. It's a 22 with 8.4" Uconnect 5. Also, it will start back at the beginning about twice a week. I have not found any kind of pattern to that.
Change flash drives. Looks like it's causing a remount of the file system. Ram is same as Charger for this.

Jopipe17

Reaction score
I don't think size matters as much as how the drive is formatted. I use a 128gb drive formatted NTFS. I'm pretty sure both Uconnect 4 and 5 require drives formatted either FAT32 or NTSF will work. However, many new drives 64gb and large come formatted as exFat drives and that won't work. You would need to reformat them to NTFS. I believe most drives below 32gb and below will come formatted as FAT32 which will work.

Your safest file format will be .mp3. If you are downloading MP3 files you won't have a choice, but if you are ripping them from CDs make sure to set it to rip at the highest quality 320kbps.

A 32gb thumb drive should hold several thousand mp3 songs.
Alright 10/4 well the flash drives I'm looking at getting are from DJ dirty bass he sells flash drives with rebassed music he makes for bug demo vehicles and jus everyday street beaters. I belive he told me they are mp3 files and he has a 32gb drive with all his music on it which I was hopping I could jus place it in my usb in my ram and it would work. I never used a flash drive so I didn't wanna purchase it and it not work lol. Appreciate the help

Users who are viewing this thread