5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Music on USB flash drive

DragonFire

Reaction score
Hi There, new member here, and a recent buyer of a 2020 Ram Big Horn.
My truck did not come with a Satellite radio which isn't a biggie to me, since I usually listen to only 1 channel. But my old Dodge Charger allowed me to use a USB drive with music and playlists on it. Is that still possible with the new Ram's? It's been awhile, but I think I just had mp3 files on it. Will that still work?

Any better alternatives or advice? oh, and before you tell me about Pandora or Spotify, I do have them on my phone, but aren't thrilled with paying for all the data charges

RJS

Reaction score
My truck did not come with a Satellite radio which isn't a biggie to me, since I usually listen to only 1 channel. But my old Dodge Charger allowed me to use a USB drive with music and playlists on it. Is that still possible with the new Ram's? It's been awhile, but I think I just had mp3 files on it. Will that still work?

Any better alternatives or advice? oh, and before you tell me about Pandora or Spotify, I do have them on my phone, but aren't thrilled with paying for all the data charges
Some thought from a previous post. Might be radio dependent but should get you started. Initially, just try what you have.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yep, it works great. I have a 128 GB Samsung Fit loaded up with MP3s and it works great. I formatted mine FAT32; but some people say you don't have to. I don't like paying for services either and I have a pretty big music library to begin with; so USB works great for me. It works nice with the UConnect voice commands as well...I just say a song, album or an artist I want to hear and it plays it.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, it works great. I have a 128 GB Samsung Fit loaded up with MP3s and it works great. I formatted mine FAT32; but some people say you don't have to. I don't like paying for services either and I have a pretty big music library to begin with; so USB works great for me. It works nice with the UConnect voice commands as well...I just say a song, album or an artist I want to hear and it plays it.
I can confirm that it works great with the 12" UCo also. I also formatted to FAT32, I leave mine plugged into USB3 (rear seat driver side) Mine is a 1TB

DragonFire

Reaction score
I can confirm that it works great with the 12" UCo also. I also formatted to FAT32, I leave mine plugged into USB3 (rear seat driver side) Mine is a 1TB
Do you have any delay with such a big drive? I found one post saying the owner thought it wasn't working, but it turned out to be a long delay in recognizing all the songs on it. It was an old post, like 2016.

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have any delay with such a big drive? I found one post saying the owner thought it wasn't working, but it turned out to be a long delay in recognizing all the songs on it. It was an old post, like 2016.
I really have not noticed any delay at all

Users who are viewing this thread