5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction Tailgate SWLR (Safe Working Load Rating)

Ramuser509

Reaction score
Looking for Safe Working Load Rating of the multifunction tailgate.
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 5'7'' Box w/o Rambox w/ Multifunction Tailgate

Now because of the multifunction set up im sure the load rating is much less then a solid one piece tailgate.

I would like to know what kind of weight would it take before it starts to strecth out the swinging multifunction door latches ?
Can you load a long track sled and have a good amount of weight sitting on the tailgate, its a short bed?
Could you strap a bunch of lumber nose down and tail hanging out against the multifunction tailgate in the closed position and strapped down against it? plus riding down gravel roads.

Remeber the multifunction swinging doors are held in by one latch each.
How much force could that latching joint take before it pops open either in the open position or closed position?

Americantruck04

Reaction score
Looking for Safe Working Load Rating of the multifunction tailgate.
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 5'7'' Box w/o Rambox w/ Multifunction Tailgate

Now because of the multifunction set up im sure the load rating is much less then a solid one piece tailgate.

I would like to know what kind of weight would it take before it starts to strecth out the swinging multifunction door latches ?
Can you load a long track sled and have a good amount of weight sitting on the tailgate, its a short bed?
Could you strap a bunch of lumber nose down and tail hanging out against the multifunction tailgate in the closed position and strapped down against it? plus riding down gravel roads.

Remeber the multifunction swinging doors are held in by one latch each.
How much force could that latching joint take before it pops open either in the open position or closed position?
2k is the limit according to ram

redneck

Reaction score
2k is the limit according to ram
haha i would love to see that the payload is less than that..im 168# i was bouncing up & down on it while it was open & my wife said she could see it flex in the middle. i went with the regular talegate as i work off it everyday. mine gets opened & closed about 40x pr week

Americantruck04

Reaction score
haha i would love to see that the payload is less than that..im 168# i was bouncing up & down on it while it was open & my wife said she could see it flex in the middle. i went with the regular talegate as i work off it everyday. mine gets opened & closed about 40x pr week
Hey I didn’t say I would trust it, that’s just what ram claims

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has been a concern of mine. I’m about to order a RAM with a multi-function. Think it can take a 700 pound motorcycle loading onto it via a ramp?

Eric326

Reaction score
This has been a concern of mine. I’m about to order a RAM with a multi-function. Think it can take a 700 pound motorcycle loading onto it via a ramp?
I haven't tested mine with anything quite that heavy, but loaded a motorcycle with ramps over my MFT. It was not 700 lbs. over the center of the tailgate, but still probably 600-800 lbs. of total weight on the tailgate as we loaded it. Additionally, have loaded a Husqvarna riding mower with a listed weight of around 500-600 lbs., uneventful in regards to the MFT.

Obviously time will tell whether the tailgate holds up, and doesn't have issues hopefully. But so far, I have yet to have any issues from the MFT, and am happy with the benefits that come with having it.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't tested mine with anything quite that heavy, but loaded a motorcycle with ramps over my MFT. It was not 700 lbs. over the center of the tailgate, but still probably 600-800 lbs. of total weight on the tailgate as we loaded it. Additionally, have loaded a Husqvarna riding mower with a listed weight of around 500-600 lbs., uneventful in regards to the MFT.

Obviously time will tell whether the tailgate holds up, and doesn't have issues hopefully. But so far, I have yet to have any issues from the MFT, and am happy with the benefits that come with having it.

Good point. I think my bike fully fueled is 650 pounds and not all of that weight would be on the tailgate while loading it. I was thinking actually, since I’m getting a 6’4” bed, why not just barn door the tail gate and put the ramp right up to the bed instead?

L2R512

Reaction score

That’s good to hear!

bigalf

Reaction score
I have loaded a 550cc quad without issue. I think that hinge pin is robust enough to carry the load of anything you going to be loading. I think the chance of breaking in the middle is not worth not getting the MFT, as i would call it a game changer.

Cert2.0

Reaction score
i would assume you swing it open to load your bike in it as it shortens the distance from road to the bed of the truck .. no need to ramp it to the tailgate if there's no tail gate there to ramp it to.

Big3MG

Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM Rebel with the multi function tailgate and love it. The tailgate is surrounded from the inside by a heavy square steel frame. I was 280 lbs when I bough the truck (I’m down to 187 lbs now) and tested the tailgate by bouncing on both halves when opened. It was very strong, no flex.

Users who are viewing this thread