5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multifunction Tailgate and the BAK Revolver X4

MLB12

Reaction score
I'm taking delivery of my 2021 Longhorn 10th Anniversary Edition(non-RamBox) tomorrow, and as everyone knows it comes with the MFT as a standard offering.

I currently have a BAK Revolver X4 on my 2019 Longhorn, and I am very impressed with the tonneau cover design. I've had one on the last three Longhorns, so I want to put one on the 2021. The question is, what issues has anyone had with the Revolver on the MFT box, ie, the corner gussets?

I'd like as much input as anyone is prepared to offer, positive and negative.

alvinm

Reaction score
To be honest, I did not have luck with those brackets for the Bakflip MX4. They were just to thick, even after trimming plenty of aluminum off the rails, the alignment was just too off in that area for my liking. Also, the brackets width did not allow for the rubber seal to sit as flush with the top of the bed. I went ahead and installed the cover without the brackets for now until It can be remedied with a possible revision to the current bracket design, which is what I was told when I spoke to someone at Righton Brackets.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
To be honest, I did not have luck with those brackets for the Bakflip MX4. They were just to thick, even after trimming plenty of aluminum off the rails, the alignment was just too off in that area for my liking. Also, the brackets width did not allow for the rubber seal to sit as flush with the top of the bed. I went ahead and installed the cover without the brackets for now until It can be remedied with a possible revision to the current bracket design, which is what I was told when I spoke to someone at Righton Brackets.
The brackets will be still be just as thick. The design is identical except for a minor adjustment in hole placement so don't count on the new bracket helping if thickness was the issue.

alvinm

Reaction score
Yeah, it didn't sound like it was going to be a complete overhaul of the bracket design. I'd say a slightly thinner bracket with countersunk screws would help. To add stiffness, maybe welding a brace going across the lower part of the bracket to each side that won't obstruct anything. My biggest question is why aren't more companies manufacturing covers to work around this problem? There's plenty of sales to be made considering how many trucks with the MFT.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah, it didn't sound like it was going to be a complete overhaul of the bracket design. I'd say a slightly thinner bracket with countersunk screws would help. To add stiffness, maybe welding a brace going across the lower part of the bracket to each side that won't obstruct anything. My biggest question is why aren't more companies manufacturing covers to work around this problem? There's plenty of sales to be made considering how many trucks with the MFT.
They can't weld a brace since that would interfere with other Tonneau designs.

alvinm

Reaction score
I'm sure if they got enough feedback on the different covers, they could make a couple of different versions, assuming it's even feasible though?

davidn0021

Reaction score
I'm sure if they got enough feedback on the different covers, they could make a couple of different versions, assuming it's even feasible though?

Yeah I would also suggest a 45 degree brace. Should give enough clearance for most covers and should help stiffen up the entire frame of the bed similar to the stock brackets, just not as big/bulky.

Kooch80

Reaction score
i put on the revolver X4 using the Right On brackets made by Pete. you have to trim the rails where the brackets go to make it fit properly.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah I would also suggest a 45 degree brace. Should give enough clearance for most covers and should help stiffen up the entire frame of the bed similar to the stock brackets, just not as big/bulky.
A 45 degree brace is not necessary based on the construction of the RO Bracket.

BigBucks21

Reaction score
Any chance you could take some pics of the interference problem with the 90 degree bracket? I really like the MX4 and want to find a way to make it work on my truck with the MFT. I don't have the MX4 yet so I don't fully understand the specifics of where the issue is. My neighbor is professional welder so I'm thinking I can get a different bracket custom made that will allow proper support and allow the MX4 to fit correctly. (There's always a way...)

alvinm

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't take pics because I knew it would take a lot of cutting. I would recommend buying the cover and install it the way it should go and then mock up braces using cardboard or something. I'm pretty sure that the righton brackets will work but with major modifications of the cover rails, which I wasn't brave enough to do. Since I already have the brackets, I might end up getting someone to cut them to fit with the cover in place.

Kooch80

Reaction score
Can you possibly post a photo of where you trimmed, and by how much?
Trimmed just enough to clear the bracket. Ironically the tailgate end of the rail cubes from the factory trimmed in a similarly. I don't have pictures anymore but I did a post of the install with pictures in the lengthy thread about tonneau covers that with with the MFT

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the MX4 installed with the right on brackets. I did cut/ modify the rails and added a standard 3x3 bracket (cut to fit) to front for added support. I will take pictures and post later today

BigBucks21

Reaction score
I have the MX4 installed with the right on brackets. I did cut/ modify the rails and added a standard 3x3 bracket (cut to fit) to front for added support. I will take pictures and post later today
That would be great! I receive my MX4 today and am looking forward to better understanding what I need to mod in order for it to fit correctly without sacrificing the bracket support.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Big buck
i trimmed 11 inches on the rail so it sits flush on the bed . I then went to Lowe’s and purchased a L shaped bracket to support the front of the rail where cover bolts to it using bolt on bracket to support. I did have to drill / cut to make it align with rail opening. Put top on and viola it looks fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread