5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi-Function Tailgate: worth it?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, it seems like there is a subtle but definite lean towards getting an MFT. ;)

Thanks for the pointer on the retrax models. I'll look at ones compatible with ramboxes.

edited to add: crap, I just realized another reason why I dropped the rambox...they're not offered with 6'4" beds. That's a requirement. Grr.

But, you guys have pushed me to reconsider the MFT.

Last edited:

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have a bed cap with MFT?

I know only certain tonneau covers work.

PaulieWalnutz

Reaction score
I initially didn’t like the look of the line (seam) going through the the lift gate, so I left it off my build.. wish I hadn’t as it makes loading and unloading a lot easier.. don’t have to lean in as much and it’s easy access.. so I regret not getting it.. I have BUG and ram boxes and those I love.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay folks, so I sent an email to Retrax customer service about their product and the MFT. Here's the reply I received:

Unfortunately the L bracket inside the truck bed below the bulkhead interferes with our canister and because of this our cover will not work with the MTF tailgate. If you remove that bracket then yes it will work as there is not complication from the tailgate itself, just that L bracket.

If you have an MFT and know what L bracket he's talking about, could you post a pic? I'm going to order the BUG. Since I don't have a truck in my driveway (yet!), I am confused by his description. What is that L bracket, what does it do, how easy is to remove?

Thanks,
Ken

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bracket is in the front of the bed that reinforces the bed to support the MFT. It is up close to the top and attaches each side and the front.

If you get the RAM Boxes there is no bracket due to the design difference to accommodate the additional storage in the side panels.

Reactions: c3k

db252

Reaction score
The lower bracket is the stock bracket located at the forward top corners of the bed when the truck has the MFT. The upper bracket is an aftermarket bracket made by Right On Bracket intended to maintain support and allow aftermarket covers that would otherwise not fit. I linked the site below the pic.

3B9B6142-1330-4FAA-ACC5-304E10412954.png

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My truck doesnt have it, I did try to find my trim level with it because I wanted it but ultimately took a good deal on a 99% of what I wanted truck. Do I miss it, no. Would I get it if I could, hell yes, I believe it's that useful

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bracket is in the bottom left and right corners of the pic.

i happen to have a cargo rail on the front of the box that runs between the two corner braces, that’s not stock.

i use a diamondback se cover, works great.

ps - those replacement brackets may let u use another cover, but there’s no way they do what the OEM brackets were designed to. Might not see any diff if you only keep the truck a couple years, or use it lightly, but the OEMs are that way for a reason.

Attachments

• 44EC4021-545B-4F84-BD3B-761ABEDC78FB.jpeg
    44EC4021-545B-4F84-BD3B-761ABEDC78FB.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 49

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Love mine wouldn’t get one without it now. ARE covers are now compatible if your looking to put a hard fiberglass cover on it.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've never seen one in person, looked across NJ well over 2 months to find my truck and never came across it.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To those with input about the MFT...you've won me over. I thank you for doing so (and I hope I reinforce that thanks after I'm in possession of my truck!).

The advice about the bracket...awesome. I'm going to order a pair. After reading that thread, they perfect for what I'd like to do. Thanks!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love mine wouldn’t get one without it now. ARE covers are now compatible if your looking to put a hard fiberglass cover on it.
Are you talking about fiberglass tonneau covers or camper caps/topper? I have a CX series topper from ARE on my 2019 and want to move it to a new truck when my lease ends and would like the mft if they work together. Thanks

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
Are you talking about fiberglass tonneau covers or camper caps/topper? I have a CX series topper from ARE on my 2019 and want to move it to a new truck when my lease ends and would like the mft if they work together. Thanks
I was referring to the ARE tonneau cover. Trucks with the MFT have braces on the front corners that cannot be removed unless you purchase a aftermarket brace. So I would think a 2019 topper on a truck without the MFT would not work on one with the MFT.

njt07

Reaction score
Btw when you get your new truck with a mft, its not broken you just have to FIRMLY slam the main tailgate closed before you try to use the mft for a couple weeks before the rubber stops give enough to allow you to close it normally.

also the MFT is awesome, I rarely use the tailgate normally unless i need the extra length.

Users who are viewing this thread