5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Function Tailgate + Bed Extender NOT!

20211500limited

Reaction score
In June, purchased the 2020 Ram 1500 Limited ecodiesel with Rambox and multifunction tailgate. Expected to get the bed divider/extended (68027145AE), but didn't. Expressed my disappointment to the dealership. They shared with a regional sales manager. Regional sales manager explained that bed divider/extended (68027145AE) will not come with 2020 models. Only if a Bed Utility Group (BUG) is purchased with truck, a new divider-only is included. They did offer to send me the previous one (68027145AE). It lacked the lock cylinder (68402268AC), 2ea pivot grommets (68054997AB), and 2ea swivel handles (68054996AA). Expressed that this part was incomplete to the dealership. They agreed to pay for these remaining parts. Local dealer keyed the cylinder to match truck key. Installed all yesterday and works perfectly.
did the dealer order the parts or did you order online?

Roaddog359

Reaction score
We've used the divider as both a divider and a bed extender several times on our Limited with the rambox/MFT combination. No issues at all. I added the pegs for the bed extender the same day we took delivery of the truck. Not sure why you aren't able to use it but I suspect you're doing something wrong. Are you refering to the support frame for the MFT? The opening for the is the same as for the normal tailgate. The MFT does not interfere with the bed extender pegs in any way.
I have a 2021 limited with the bed utility group. I have the divider but how do I make it into the extender? I am missing something to lock the divider onto the bed sides? Is the truck supposed to come with the parts to lock the divider onto the bed sides? Maybe its parts I have not located, I have a bag of stuff under the rear seat, could the parts be in there? Or is this something you have to order aftermarket? But that seems weird that it would not come with truck , especially since I ordered the bed utility group. Can someone point me in the right direction?

BNeal

Reaction score
I have a 2021 limited with the bed utility group. I have the divider but how do I make it into the extender? I am missing something to lock the divider onto the bed sides? Is the truck supposed to come with the parts to lock the divider onto the bed sides? Maybe its parts I have not located, I have a bag of stuff under the rear seat, could the parts be in there? Or is this something you have to order aftermarket? But that seems weird that it would not come with truck , especially since I ordered the bed utility group. Can someone point me in the right direction?
You have to order the lugs. they no longer are included:
I got them here, and these are the parts you need. Remember, you need 2 of each, total cost about $95.
FactoryChryslerParts.com

68054996AAHANDLE. Swivel Release.2
68054997ABGROMMET. PIVOT JOINT.2

Reactions: c3k

Roaddog359

Reaction score
Thanks! You get the bed utility group and they cant even give you 4 plastic parts co complete the kit. Just like getting the rambox and they cant give you the plastic dividers. Just Nickel and dime you to death.

BNeal

Reaction score
Thanks! You get the bed utility group and they cant even give you 4 plastic parts co complete the kit. Just like getting the rambox and they cant give you the plastic dividers. Just Nickel and dime you to death.
Actually, I think there was a liability issue in that when the extender is in place, it can block a tail light. So, they discontinued including the lugs, but at least they are still available so we can DIY it.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So your BUG came with the extender? My 2021, and all the 2021's I looked at with the BUG has no Bed Extender.

Roaddog359

Reaction score
If your asking about the bed divider/bed extender. Yes my 2021 loaded ram 1500 limited came with it. I think the only option i opted out of was the trailer steer.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We went thru this long ago in another post .. ask your local dealer .. mine were $31 total.

BNeal

Reaction score
So your BUG came with the extender? My 2021, and all the 2021's I looked at with the BUG has no Bed Extender.
If you have the divider, you have the extender. You just need to get the lugs to hold it in place.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't have the divider or the extender. My BUG package did not come with them. I believe that the extender/divider is an option separate from the BUG package on my truck based on other selected options.

BNeal

Reaction score
I don't have the divider or the extender. My BUG package did not come with them. I believe that the extender/divider is an option separate from the BUG package on my truck based on other selected options.
If you have Ram boxes and ordered the BUG, you should have the divider - it's part of the BUG package, but again, you have to have the Ram Boxes.

sailouterbanks

Reaction score
I guess I'm in the same situation as security guy. Plus I also have the factory tonneau cover so I think I'm correct that the other bed divider that is available from Mopar won't work either because the track interferes with the cover latches. Anyone know of another option?

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I really wanted RAM BOXES, but my analness about warped box covers would drive me crazy. Everyone I know that has them, the covers are warping so I passed.

Len p.

Reaction score
I've got the Rambox and Multi Function Tailgate, and my bed extender works just fine. Ordered the parts off ebay and installed very easily. Mine is a 2020 1500 Laramie 5'3 box
Can you send me link or description of ebay order?

Toolbox

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread