5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Function Tailgate and Tonneau Cover

BostonBLS

Reaction score
I have been reading through threads about putting a tonneau cover on a MF tailgate bed and haven't really found the answer I am looking for. With the corner brace it seems that the only cover that works is the gator hybrid. I have also heard some people have modified the bracket or the cover. I really want to get a rolling X4 or similar or a rolling soft cover (for a less expensive option) so the questions are:

1. Is the bracing really necessary?
2. Why does the MF need it?
3. Long term affects of just removing and installing any cover? (Friend of mine just removed to install MX4. No issues yet but it has only been a month.)
4. What have people done (with pictures) to modify bracing or cover to work while keeping bracing in place?

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Reached out to BAK today. They told me the corner brackets are just additional tie downs and can just be removed to install covers and won’t affect anything.

can anyone confirm?

LouCap

Reaction score
Reached out to BAK today. They told me the corner brackets are just additional tie downs and can just be removed to install covers and won’t affect anything.

can anyone confirm?

No offense to BAK, but I don't think that's true. Here is a message one of the other forum members got from RAM when they asked about the brackets and if it was okay to remove them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190718-124500.jpg
    Screenshot_20190718-124500.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 423

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Back told me last night they are working on a design for them but no ETA

BostonBLS

Reaction score
No offense to BAK, but I don't think that's true. Here is a message one of the other forum members got from RAM when they asked about the brackets and if it was okay to remove them.
I felt the same way.

RamQueen

Reaction score
Have you testing it out with rain yet? I found my old bakflip g2 leaked a lot and now with the split tailgate I’m worried it would be worst. I’m also curious to see pics of the rail mods to fit the brackets.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
What did you do to mod the rails? Pics?
Have you testing it out with rain yet? I found my old bakflip g2 leaked a lot and now with the split tailgate I’m worried it would be worst. I’m also curious to see pics of the rail mods to fit the brackets.

My G2 hardly leaks.

I really think it is placement and getting it lined up just right to prevent leaks. The only time it would get water is ifthe truck was parked and it poured and then I left somewhere before it dried up on top.

Beatle9999

Reaction score
It’s not raining here is Los Angeles yet. I removed the brackets, didn’t see how they did anything. When you swing the barn doors open it seems like most of the weight is on the tailgate frame. The tailgate has weatherstrip where it splits. I’ll probably ad some generic tailgate weather strip that any tailgate would use. I guess I’ll see if my bed warps etc, I doubt it. The backflip mx4 fit just fine. I’ll check for leaks next time I wash it.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic since this thread revolves around tonneau cover and MFT (multi-function tailgate). But in doing Build & Price on a 2020 Laramie Longhorn, as soon as I added the MFT, it took away my two-tone paint (Patriot Blue above with Walnut Brown Metallic below). Does anyone who has already ordered an MFT know if that is a glitch on Build & Price, or does the factory actually not allow the combination of a two-tone Patriot Blue + Walnut Brown Metallic truck to have an MFT?

JoshFink

Reaction score

I’ve been following these MFT Tonneau threads. I just picked up my 2020 Limited with MFT and I don’t have the brackets that others seem to have. Am I missing the brackets or was there perhaps a redesign. Mine has a 09-19 build date.

155ff3b8d903fd4ef496393f28f616d0.jpg
65d89280486fc355e27975a02a19119f.jpg

flynfish

Reaction score
Ram box doesn’t have the brackets, only non ram box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NYBrad

Reaction score
I really like the low profile roll up tonneau covers. I am totally annoyed that no one has come up with a fix. I’m not a fabricator but I’ve looked at it and know it would be an easy fix. Remove the lower tab where the side rail clamps to the bed up where the factory corner bracket is. And create a triangle like gusset at the front of the bed rails to relocate the cover mount so it’s beyond the bracket.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
I really like the low profile roll up tonneau covers. I am totally annoyed that no one has come up with a fix. I’m not a fabricator but I’ve looked at it and know it would be an easy fix. Remove the lower tab where the side rail clamps to the bed up where the factory corner bracket is. And create a triangle like gusset at the front of the bed rails to relocate the cover mount so it’s beyond the bracket.

Fix has been discussed in multiple threads.

Users who are viewing this thread