5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi Function Tailgate and Tonneau Cover

gslewis

Reaction score
ACCESS Original Roll-Up cover is specifically modified to work with the corner brackets, they emailed me instructions which I attached. Have not found a hard roll cover that works or looks easy to modify.

Attachments

• 2000283 ram multi-funtion tailgate.pdf
    377.6 KB · Views: 195

Ramrebel27

Reaction score
Reached out to BAK today. They told me the corner brackets are just additional tie downs and can just be removed to install covers and won’t affect anything.

can anyone confirm?
I called dodge and they said do not remove they are for strength.

Ninjabadger

Reaction score
I called dodge and they said do not remove they are for strength.
I also reached out to BAK and they said not to remove them!

Which of course you need to do if you want the BAK to fit :) , so i removed them and its been fine for a few months. Oh and the right on brackets don't work with BAK either :(. I am seriously regretting having the MFT right now.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Which of course you need to do if you want the BAK to fit :) , so i removed them and its been fine for a few months. Oh and the right on brackets don't work with BAK either :(. I am seriously regretting having the MFT right now.
There is absolutely no way that Ram would have put those corner brackets in conventional beds with MFT if it wasn't necessary. And whoever it was at BAK told one poster that those corner brackets are tiedowns and can be removed, ought to be fired. That's total crap, guaranteed. And anyone who has removed their corner brackets and thinks it won't harm anything is taking a risk - there is some failure mode with MFT and conventional beds without those corner brackets, or Ram engineers would NOT have added them. Simple as that.

I personally wouldn't trade my Ram Boxes and MFT for anything - that's some of the best money I ever spent in my life.

hydrant328

Reaction score
I spoke with the rep at Access. They make a soft roll up compatible with the MFT. I mentioned taking the bracket off to assist with install, and then putting it back on after cover installed. He said they did that when they were in development for their MFT cover and they had issues getting the bracket and holes squared back up. Would not advise on removing them.

Adrianp89

Reaction score

I have the RightOn Brackets with my BakFlip G2.

Tidewater Ram

Reaction score
Anyone know if the Access Original or Limited cover works w/ the bed divider?

stevebmw100

Reaction score
I have been reading through threads about putting a tonneau cover on a MF tailgate bed and haven't really found the answer I am looking for. With the corner brace it seems that the only cover that works is the gator hybrid. I have also heard some people have modified the bracket or the cover. I really want to get a rolling X4 or similar or a rolling soft cover (for a less expensive option) so the questions are:

1. Is the bracing really necessary?
2. Why does the MF need it?
3. Long term affects of just removing and installing any cover? (Friend of mine just removed to install MX4. No issues yet but it has only been a month.)
4. What have people done (with pictures) to modify bracing or cover to work while keeping bracing in place?

hydrant328

Reaction score
Yes, they said the braces are needed for the torque of the swinging doors. I got the access soft roll up. They modify the rails before shipping to you.

Amis

Reaction score
What I see out of all discussions, NO ONE MANUFACTURER MAKES HARD TRI-FOLD TONNEAU BED COVER TO FIT RAM 1500 (2019 - 2021) NEW BODY STYLE / 6'4'' BED / WITH MULTIFUNCTIONAL TAILGAGE/ WITOUT RAMBOX.
And I don't want to change any parts (brackets) factory installed as it eventually void the warranty (confirmed with the dealer).
My preference is BACKFLIP MX 4, but still not see a solid evidence if it could be customizable.
??? ANY SUGGESTIONS ???

Beatle9999

Reaction score
I had the backflip on my ram for like 2 years with no brackets. No issues at all.

Users who are viewing this thread