5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mufflex DODNG18

Willb

Reaction score
I opted for the 14 since everything I've read so far people are talking about the resonators drowning out so much sound. Figured why not.

mk12booze

Reaction score
Not sure I'm a new ram guy for about 5 days now. I did however just order the mufflex 14 it will be here the 2nd. Hope it sounds good.
14 is the aggresive sound right? Yeah, let me know how it turns out when you install it.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I have not ordered one for my 19 yet, however I have bought and used there products on prior vehicles. Good people and quality products.

Willb

Reaction score
Yea the 14 is the aggressive one. I dont think it's going to be too bad. I dont care for obnoxious. I'm hoping the resonators help tame it. I want a nice deep growl. I know with the GM trucks them resonators make a huge difference when it comes to sound. Figure its gonna he the more so with 3 on the ram.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Probably similar to the 4th gen mufflex kits, which you could research and listen to sound clips before deciding. They use magnaflow mufflers, which are very good IMO.

Scale: 1 (quiet)-10 (loud)
Stock = quite (2)
Mufflex 24 = mellow (4)
Mufflex 18 = moderate (7)
Mufflex 14 = loud (9)

Another option a lot of 4th gen guys did was Carven, which has progressive (moderate) or competition (loud).

These are both good drop in replacement options to get rid of the giant, quiet stock muffler. Goring with or without larger 5" tips and leaving your resonators on or cutting those out as will can change sound too. Research if drone is a concern.

Full cat backs don't do much in my research. If youre not going all out with a completely new system front to back, then just muffler replacement is all thats needed, unless the 5th gens have some new restriction point that didn't exist on the 4th gens.

Joker4L

Reaction score
I had a mufflex on my 14" Ram sport and it was horrid. I went with the Mufflex 24 and the drone was so bad I couldn't carry a convo with someone in the cabin unless I was talking loudly. Driving on the hwy was unbearable. I ended up removing it after about two months and got me a Corsa and that **** was amazing. I will be waiting on Corsa to make one for us 19' folks

Willb

Reaction score
I had a mufflex on my 14" Ram sport and it was horrid. I went with the Mufflex 24 and the drone was so bad I couldn't carry a convo with someone in the cabin unless I was talking loudly. Driving on the hwy was unbearable. I ended up removing it after about two months and got me a Corsa and that **** was amazing. I will be waiting on Corsa to make one for us 19' folks

From what I've been reading you cant compare 14 to 19 as far as sounds because of the resonators they are using plus the truck is damn quiet inside as it is. Idk I will see

768mph

Reaction score
I’m waiting for the Corsa as well. I had that set up on two of my vehicles. Absolutely no drone. None, zero, nada. And a beautiful raw sound.

Willb

Reaction score
14 is the aggresive sound right? Yeah, let me know how it turns out when you install it.[/QUOTE

Installed it this morning after work. It can be heard in the cab some at idle. The truck was warm and I was going to bed when I finished. So I haven't driven it yet. But I did rev it to about 1800 and there is cabin drone. But with the windows up you could easily have a conversation without any issues. I would say if the radio was up to normal listening for me. Which is 20 to 25 volume with the alpine system you wouldn't even notice. I'll let you know about while driving and eco in the am after work today.

Willb

Reaction score
I just listened to the sound clip. I recorded it on my phone and listened to it on my phone. It sounds nothing like it does in person. Its louder and much deeper in person.

Willb

Reaction score
I guess all I can say is if some drone wont bother you this is the one to get. If you want minimal drone get the 18. Its throaty not high pitched loud. Since you can hardly hear it standing right behind it in the video you sure wont hear drone while driving. Sorry my note has a crap mic

Joker4L

Reaction score
Yeah, I would have to see another 24" running before I would ever give them another chance. I would also have to take a ride in the vehicle hwy and local. Glad you like yours. Let's see how you like it in the long term.

Willb

Reaction score
Well after driving it to work at 72 mph and most of it at 60. Even when running in eco there is almost no cabin noise. If stock is a 1 and open headers is a 10 it's a 2. The tires on the road make more noise than the exahust does in the cab. Not even a slight exaggeration. If I had the window down and the radio off I could hear wind noise. Pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Bdhays63

Reaction score
Well after driving it to work at 72 mph and most of it at 60. Even when running in eco there is almost no cabin noise. If stock is a 1 and open headers is a 10 it's a 2. The tires on the road make more noise than the exahust does in the cab. Not even a slight exaggeration. If I had the window down and the radio off I could hear wind noise. Pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Well it’s been a week.. you still like the 14”???. I’ve read that magnaflows get louder after break in. I thought I wanted the 18” but after reading your post I’m pretty torn on what to get. Thought about carven as well but afraid it might be too loud.

Willb

Reaction score
Yea after 2 weeks now I like it even more. It didnt get louder. It growls more. But still no cabin noise unless I'm on it. Still no drone or obnoxious eco noise. I couldn't have asked for a better sound. Most days i forget i have it on. If you go with the 14 you will be happy. She is a little loud on cold starts at idle. But once warmed up nothing. It is imo the perfect sound for the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread