5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muffler options

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn’t have plans to do any exhaust mods on my truck, but I want to do the carven 5” tips and now it’s got me wanting a muffler kit. Seems the carven is a bit louder than the Borla muffler right? I’m just looking for a little deeper tone/growl. I don’t need anything waking up my entire apartment complex.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Didn’t have plans to do any exhaust mods on my truck, but I want to do the carven 5” tips and now it’s got me wanting a muffler kit. Seems the carven is a bit louder than the Borla muffler right? I’m just looking for a little deeper tone/growl. I don’t need anything waking up my entire apartment complex.

If you're looking for a bassy sound, but really tame exhaust note? Add the magnaflow system to the list.

I came from a Borla XR1 on my old Ram, while I LOVED it? 2am cold starts leaving the ex-girlfriend's place on a frozen street was the V8-symphony. Live, in concert.
Starring, the 5.7 Hemi.
Featuring, 400horsepower. :ROFLMAO:
It was a little much!
I actually felt bad.

Next time around I figured, "Go more tame."
The magnaflow full exhaust system has their big 22in muffler, but I believe a cutaway would show, it is a "straight through" design too performance wise. Flows very well. The exhaust note is VERY controlled at the top end of the noise range, coming from the XR1 I was actually disappointed at first! :LOL:

Then I got on the highway and there wasn't any drone.
Over time the exhaust has sweetened, sound wise- I would not say it's loud. It's not punchy.
I don't wince on cold starts.
It's got a bassy tone and stays that way, like a "far away thundercloud."

SurfRebel20

Reaction score
how do you like it so far...it'd in the cart waiting for me to hit the buy button. Torn between this and Carven

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
i like it, nice deep rumble. it's quieter than i thought it would be from the outside, but under normal acceleration the in cab sound is louder than i thought it would be if that makes sense. was unaware carven had a muffler like this one. I just looked it up though, looks like it would be louder seeing how small the resonator is but haven't heard any clips from the carven.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you're looking for a bassy sound, but really tame exhaust note? Add the magnaflow system to the list.

I came from a Borla XR1 on my old Ram, while I LOVED it? 2am cold starts leaving the ex-girlfriend's place on a frozen street was the V8-symphony. Live, in concert.
Starring, the 5.7 Hemi.
Featuring, 400horsepower. :ROFLMAO:
It was a little much!
I actually felt bad.

Next time around I figured, "Go more tame."
The magnaflow full exhaust system has their big 22in muffler, but I believe a cutaway would show, it is a "straight through" design too performance wise. Flows very well. The exhaust note is VERY controlled at the top end of the noise range, coming from the XR1 I was actually disappointed at first! :LOL:

Then I got on the highway and there wasn't any drone.
Over time the exhaust has sweetened, sound wise- I would not say it's loud. It's not punchy.
I don't wince on cold starts.
It's got a bassy tone and stays that way, like a "far away thundercloud."
I’ll look into the magnaflow! So far the Borla muffler replacement seems pretty nice, with carven cut and clamp kit having a tiny bit more noise to it.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll look into the magnaflow! So far the Borla muffler replacement seems pretty nice, with carven cut and clamp kit having a tiny bit more noise to it.

The borla sound profile is really nice, it sounds "truck-like" and proper.
The Borla touring system wasn't out yet when I got my magnaflow.
If I could do it over again, I might end up choosing the same one, but that is a biiig maybe.

If I had this truck again, and you told me I COULD NOT have the magnaflow full system?
I would get a borla touring. No doubt.
I sure as hell wouldn't leave it stock! :LOL:

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The borla sound profile is really nice, it sounds "truck-like" and proper.
The Borla touring system wasn't out yet when I got my magnaflow.
If I could do it over again, I might end up choosing the same one, but that is a biiig maybe.

If I had this truck again, and you told me I COULD NOT have the magnaflow full system?
I would get a borla touring. No doubt.
I sure as hell wouldn't leave it stock! :LOL:
I used to never be an exhaust guy, but I heard one recently that makes me want something on there that sounds different when I step on it but doesn’t **** everyone off around us. Think a cut and clamp or some kind of muffler system will do it!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to never be an exhaust guy, but I heard one recently that makes me want something on there that sounds different when I step on it but doesn’t **** everyone off around us. Think a cut and clamp or some kind of muffler system will do it!

I think the B2Fab setups are bolt in - and I believe they use magnaflow units too
Take a look, you might like!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I would contact your local muffler shop, one with good reviews and ask them what they think. They likely have recommendations for the sound quality you are looking for. Also, almost all the direct-fit single muffler systems can be bought with just the muffler and then welded in place.

My service advisor highly recommends the welded in place mufflers over clamp systems due to their better security. Most direct-fit systems even recommend doing a tack weld, why not just do it the right way the first time?

Plus the welded in muffler will be cheaper overall to buy and install from a muffler shop. It's not like you can re-bolt the OEM muffler anyways if you change your mind, since the direct-fit systems still require cutting of the stock exhaust to install. The only reason why I would go with direct-fit is if you don't have a muffler shop around or you just want to install it yourself, though you won't be saving any money doing it that way even as a DIY.

Betohemi661

Reaction score
I went with the carven cut and clamp but it wasn’t enough for me so i also did a resonator delete.

HarryW

Reaction score
Got the Flowmaster Super 50 853057 installed this morning at a local shop that stock 3" stainless pipe so the system still should last. Mellow tone not much louder than stock. The tone is great. Should get graphics this week and then rust proofing. I think I am going with Corrosion Free, they want the truck delivered the day before to wash and prep before treating.

Jeeper

Reaction score
just installed Solo Performance MR300 muffler delete pipe. Sounds awesome....nice deep tone...not too loud...no drone. So far so good...I'll put some miles on it before a better review.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

bigdaddy46

Reaction score
I have the B2FAB Oval and I like it. Part of me wishes there was a little more sound but it definitely gave the truck a nice rumble when accelerating. Whisper quiet on the highway though which is most important to me. I still have the factory resonators.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
I had the Borla touring system on my 2020 Rebel, sounded great outside. LOUD cold starts, LOUD while towing, and MDS drone was terrible. I wouldn't buy another Borla exhaust, plus fitment was S#!%. Tips don't clean up nice either. I am leaning towards the magnaflow catback this time.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I went with flowmaster flowfx. Sounds good when you get on it, but not loud while cruising.

Flow Fx 3.00 (Off/Cen) Exhaust Muffler https://a.co/d/3RljEJ1

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had the Borla touring system on my 2020 Rebel, sounded great outside. LOUD cold starts, LOUD while towing, and MDS drone was terrible. I wouldn't buy another Borla exhaust, plus fitment was S#!%. Tips don't clean up nice either. I am leaning towards the magnaflow catback this time.
Sounds like you got a knockoff or the incorrect part number for your truck.
Touring is the quietest one offered, but it's still an aftermarket exhaust, it's going to be flounder than oem.
There is no drone on any Borla exhausted and the fitment is perfect (it's all clamps).

The tips do get pitted if you don't clean them frequently and then don't cleanup I will admit.

I have had Borla ATAKs on my last 2 trucks.

Mtbgordon

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a knockoff or the incorrect part number for your truck.
Touring is the quietest one offered, but it's still an aftermarket exhaust, it's going to be flounder than oem.
There is no drone on any Borla exhausted and the fitment is perfect (it's all clamps).

The tips do get pitted if you don't clean them frequently and then don't cleanup I will admit.

I have had Borla ATAKs on my last 2 trucks.

It was for sure a Borla Touring system. It is by no means "quiet". I had 4 different exhausts on my 2020 Rebel, and the Borla was probably the loudest while towing. Cold starts were equal to the S-type.

SueHarada

Reaction score
Carven, perfect fit, easy install, nice mellow tone, no difference in performance or any other gains, absolutely lighter than the fat *** oem

Ready Go

Reaction score
As an owner of a 2023 and 2024 Laramie G/T, I'll toss this in..think about the OEM G/T exhaust! It absolutely BARKS on cold starts and has a perfect, loud, Hemi growl on moderate/hard acceleration, yet is 100% drone free and can be quiet if feathering the throttle and at cruising speeds!

Check out "Rebel GT Exhaust question" from 'speedbyu' on Jan 2, 2022 on this forum for the OEM part number AND some great video/sound clips!

Squatch79

Reaction score
Went with the weld in Carven TR on mine and kept the resonators. Slight drone when MDS kicks in but it's not terrible. No drone with cruising speeds, but when you give her the beans you know you got something other than the factory one under there. Overall I'm pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread