5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muffler options

puba08

Reaction score
Just installed the Carven w/ 5” tips. Definitely quieter than the sound clips on YouTube and quieter than the Flowmaster Outlaw I had on my 4th Gen. I guess I’ll grow to love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just installed the Carven w/ 5” tips. Definitely quieter than the sound clips on YouTube and quieter than the Flowmaster Outlaw I had on my 4th Gen. I guess I’ll grow to love it

I was 50/50 on the Carven vs Outlaw, went with the Outlaw and love it. But from what I've heard, the Carven will get a little louder as you own it.

You could also remove the upstream resonator to see if that gets you the sound you want, though it could increase drone.

puba08

Reaction score
I was 50/50 on the Carven vs Outlaw, went with the Outlaw and love it. But from what I've heard, the Carven will get a little louder as you own it.

You could also remove the upstream resonator to see if that gets you the sound you want, though it could increase drone.

It’s really quite in the cab compared to the outlaw. I guess it works out, gonna have a kid soon so the less noise I make in the morning.....

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know if the 20" magnaflow without Resonators would give too much drone?

I have the magnaflow system, which according to the measuring tape has the 22in muffler unit.
I don't believe I see resonators on the system?

I think the volume level of all of it is VERY livable. If anything at times you might wish it was a touch louder - drop the windows and that usually goes away.
I remember the stock unit's drone management of the MDS, and the stock unit on the Gen1 Rebel.
I would say this is very acceptable.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the magnaflow system, which according to the measuring tape has the 22in muffler unit.
I don't believe I see resonators on the system?

I think the volume level of all of it is VERY livable. If anything at times you might wish it was a touch louder - drop the windows and that usually goes away.
I remember the stock unit's drone management of the MDS, and the stock unit on the Gen1 Rebel.
I would say this is very acceptable.
Nice! I've heard the 20" muffler is supposed to be the perfect balance of volume to drone ratio. Did you end up swapping out the whole exhaust or just the muffler? I'm thinking of doing just the muffler.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice! I've heard the 20" muffler is supposed to be the perfect balance of volume to drone ratio. Did you end up swapping out the whole exhaust or just the muffler? I'm thinking of doing just the muffler.

I have the full system - I honestly wasn't sure which muffler size it was! Until, one day I hopped under the truck with a tape measure.

I have to say the magnaflow in this size range, volume wise? Enough to hear the truck, but not too much to draw attention.
If you have neighbors you like, or a wife that's not yet acclimated to the mating call of the Hemi V8, etc? I think it's a safe pick when those concerns matter.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the full system - I honestly wasn't sure which muffler size it was! Until, one day I hopped under the truck with a tape measure.

I have to say the magnaflow in this size range, volume wise? Enough to hear the truck, but not too much to draw attention.
If you have neighbors you like, or a wife that's not yet acclimated to the mating call of the Hemi V8, etc? I think it's a safe pick when those concerns matter.
Hehe right on! Thank you!

sppb32

Reaction score
Anyone got the Flowmaster Flow FX replacement muffler?
I'll be installing mine soon, i got a good deal on it, but the muffler looks small so it might be too loud for my taste, you can't really tell by the sound clips on Youtube.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll be installing mine soon, i got a good deal on it, but the muffler looks small so it might be too loud for my taste, you can't really tell by the sound clips on Youtube.
How big is it?

sppb32

Reaction score
How big is it?
14 x 9, installed it this afternoon i was expecting it to be much louder but nop, didn't drove it yet but at idle and revving it up is not much louder than stock just deeper tone, maybe with time tha will change.

Attachments

• flowmaster.jpg
    flowmaster.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 45

jabara572

Reaction score

I use what i call the "girlfriend factor".

A flow FX my gf didnt notice it wasnt stock (although it is louder). The outlaw is a solid "what is wrong with you why is your truck this loud?"

The FX is fairly quiet even with resonator deletes. I gained maybe 30% volume after deleting the resonators. I consider it the ultimate daily driving exhaust. Moderately loud when you get on it, pretty quiet all other times, you can hear it back there but its not what I would call loud. Plays "pretty" well with MDS

I switched to Outlaw and it definitely verges on too loud to do a lot of highway with (but sounds awesome), MDS is somewhat annoying but livable. 3.7x cooler sounding.

HarryW

Reaction score
2020 Ram 1500 Limited ...went with flowmaster super 50 #53057... sound great ... has a nice low growl when starting or accelerating ... you know its there ... but quickly quiets down when your cruising ... no drone at all at any speed ... ... l think its perfect but then again l also think l would have liked the 70 series to be a little quieter at start up ... l personnally was just looking for a little more deep tone sound then stock ...
Thinking of the same muffler, did you install it yourself? Did it require any additional pipe, and what did you or the shop do about hangars.

ny2az

Reaction score
Thinking of the same muffler, did you install it yourself? Did it require any additional pipe, and what did you or the shop do about hangars.

Flowmaster 50 series to use is the 53058 which is offset in / offset out ... install included hangers ... labor was $75 ... l bought the muffler ...

Attachments

• 20210204_131553.jpg
    20210204_131553.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 20210204_131556.jpg
    20210204_131556.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210204_131600.jpg
    20210204_131600.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 67

JSal83

Reaction score
Picked up the Flowmaster Outlaw Direct-fit. Nice aggressive sound but not over the top.

Attachments

• A2AC8C30-028F-4046-B921-03CF527A107C.png
    A2AC8C30-028F-4046-B921-03CF527A107C.png
    203.1 KB · Views: 28

HarryW

Reaction score
Flowmaster 50 series to use is the 53058 which is offset in / offset out ... install included hangers ... labor was $75 ... l bought the muffler ...
Thanks for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread