5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Muffler delete check engine?

HKJShawabkah

Reaction score
I want to get a muffler delete just wondering if this will cause a check engine in my 5th gen 1500 5.7l , no system just a pipe to connect cut off muffler to resonators. Please anybody answer I can't find anyhting about it

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

STR

Reaction score
You will not get a trouble code from a muffler delete.

HKJShawabkah

Reaction score
Thankyou so much mate even if I remove the resonators I'm safe right?

STR

Reaction score
You’re good as long as you don’t mess with the cats or O2 sensors...

Skater

Reaction score
Update: muffler delete complete sounds amazing

If you have any sound bites of your exhaust after the muffler delete straight to resonators, I think there would be a few folks in here interested to hear them, or it could be just me.

HKJShawabkah

Reaction score
I got you it currently 8 and I don't want annoy everybody in the neighborhood but I'll send tomorrow, noise in the cabin is quite loud but in gears 6-8 it's silent

Skater

Reaction score
I got you it currently 8 and I don't want annoy everybody in the neighborhood but I'll send tomorrow, noise in the cabin is quite loud but in gears 6-8 it's silent

I assumed it would be loud, but with a straight pipe and only resonators I bet it sounds pretty good.

Jcagle

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing the muffler delete on my new ram. I just want to make sure it doesn't make that obnoxious "popping" sound you often hear on the squatted trucks.

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
I'm getting this done (hopefully) in a couple of weeks. My brother got his straight piped from catback and it's obnoxiously loud but definitely shows off that badass Hemi sound. I'm going to keep my resonators personally. No "popping sounds" from what I know but don't take my word for it, I can't talk from experience, but from what I've witnessed with my brother's it doesn't seem to be an issue.

HKJShawabkah

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing the muffler delete on my new ram. I just want to make sure it doesn't make that obnoxious "popping" sound you often hear on the squatted trucks.

Nah your good it’s pretty decent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HKJShawabkah

Reaction score
I'm getting this done (hopefully) in a couple of weeks. My brother got his straight piped from catback and it's obnoxiously loud but definitely shows off that badass Hemi sound. I'm going to keep my resonators personally. No "popping sounds" from what I know but don't take my word for it, I can't talk from experience, but from what I've witnessed with my brother's it doesn't seem to be an issue.

I’ve had mine straight piped for 2 months now and it’s all good , I still have the resonators and it’s really good

HKJShawabkah

Reaction score

I’ve had mine straight piped for 2 months now and it’s all good , I still have the resonators and it’s really good

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score

Did you go bigger pipes too? My brother went to 3" all the way back to 5" tail pipes so that's definitely why it's obnoxious but I'm not planning on an increase myself, just a muffler delete. How you been liking it so far? Not too loud?

HKJShawabkah

Reaction score
Did you go bigger pipes too? My brother went to 3" all the way back to 5" tail pipes so that's definitely why it's obnoxious but I'm not planning on an increase myself, just a muffler delete. How you been liking it so far? Not too loud?

No I got it welded normally didn’t change any diameters on the pipe, I have the dual exit pipes because I have the Rebel trim so maybe it would make a difference. It’s pretty loud on cold start , I live in an apartment with many cars in the garage and some morning I can set off a car alarm or two but overall I love having a loud truck so it’s personal preference at the end of the day. But speaking honestly if you don’t want your truck to be a cop magnet when under load i would straight pipe. Here are some things to keep in mind when the muffler is deleted. 1. The sound of the truck when it’s in 4cyl mode it’s absolutely annoying at low speed ( sounds like a open rear window ) but when off the throttle it is silent. 2. Sounds like a hellcat so that’s a plus. 3. At highway speeds it’s normal just a tad louder than stock when using cruise control or holding a speed. So in conclusion i would just go for it and if you don’t like it put back the muffler it’s not that big of a job ( probably 10 minutes max)

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
QUOTE="HKJShawabkah, post: 328397, member: 37028"]
No I got it welded normally didn’t change any diameters on the pipe, I have the dual exit pipes because I have the Rebel trim so maybe it would make a difference. It’s pretty loud on cold start , I live in an apartment with many cars in the garage and some morning I can set off a car alarm or two but overall I love having a loud truck so it’s personal preference at the end of the day. But speaking honestly if you don’t want your truck to be a cop magnet when under load i would straight pipe. Here are some things to keep in mind when the muffler is deleted. 1. The sound of the truck when it’s in 4cyl mode it’s absolutely annoying at low speed ( sounds like a open rear window ) but when off the throttle it is silent. 2. Sounds like a hellcat so that’s a plus. 3. At highway speeds it’s normal just a tad louder than stock when using cruise control or holding a speed. So in conclusion i would just go for it and if you don’t like it put back the muffler it’s not that big of a job ( probably 10 minutes max)

[/QUOTE]
Handy tips for anyone looking to do this as well. I'm with you, I like hearing my truck. Feels too quiet as is. I have the Sport model so dual pipes as well. Always a worry with the sound at cruising highway speeds but good to know your experience thus far has been a good one. I honestly don't know why more RAM owners just do this instead of replacing the muffler with something after market. I've looked at all the other options and I find the sound better with just a delete. Probably the worry about drone?

HKJShawabkah

Reaction score
QUOTE="HKJShawabkah, post: 328397, member: 37028"]

Handy tips for anyone looking to do this as well. I'm with you, I like hearing my truck. Feels too quiet as is. I have the Sport model so dual pipes as well. Always a worry with the sound at cruising highway speeds but good to know your experience thus far has been a good one. I honestly don't know why more RAM owners just do this instead of replacing the muffler with something after market. I've looked at all the other options and I find the sound better with just a delete. Probably the worry about drone?[/QUOTE]

I mean it drones but it’s not that bad , I mute my music when I want to here the truck going through tunnels or on smaller streets but cruising where droning would be an issue it easy remedied by playing music it’s not all that bad

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
Handy tips for anyone looking to do this as well. I'm with you, I like hearing my truck. Feels too quiet as is. I have the Sport model so dual pipes as well. Always a worry with the sound at cruising highway speeds but good to know your experience thus far has been a good one. I honestly don't know why more RAM owners just do this instead of replacing the muffler with something after market. I've looked at all the other options and I find the sound better with just a delete. Probably the worry about drone?

I mean it drones but it’s not that bad , I mute my music when I want to here the truck going through tunnels or on smaller streets but cruising where droning would be an issue it easy remedied by playing music it’s not all that bad

[/QUOTE]
Haha ok good to know. Aside from the occasional long road trip it's mostly chill driving for me so I'm not too worried about drone personally. I guess that's why people prefer aftermarket exhaust. I never really noticed it in my brother's truck tbh, so that's on me.

Users who are viewing this thread