5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mud Flaps for 1500 Limited

Canadian Ram

Reaction score
I am looking for a good quality (for the money) set of mud flaps that look good (i.e. not like they belong on a Freightliner), easy to securely install preferably without drilling holes, and dont break the bank. Lots of brands out there like Husky, etc. so wondering what experiences people have with theirs. Thanks

Rick J

Reaction score
I am looking for a good quality (for the money) set of mud flaps that look good (i.e. not like they belong on a Freightliner), easy to securely install preferably without drilling holes, and dont break the bank. Lots of brands out there like Husky, etc. so wondering what experiences people have with theirs. Thanks
I'm very happy with my WeatherTech. Easy to install (no drilling) and look good.

Attachments

• 20190428_101933 (Large).jpg
    20190428_101933 (Large).jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20190428_102015 (Large).jpg
    20190428_102015 (Large).jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 137

Hrspwr88

Reaction score
I was leaning towards the mopar ones but read that they have a pocket that holds mud and slush. So I went with the weathertech ones. They are great, highly recommend.

Heisrizn

Reaction score
Weathertech for sure. Buy from Dennis

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
1610801592714.jpeg

gatorback mud flaps I think are the highest quality mud flap for our trucks. There are multiple different words or images you can have on them.

I got a set of mud flaps with out hardware from a member here and would say they are the only ones to match the limited’s quality.

Maconi

Reaction score
I have the Husky flaps and I like them (no pictures but there have been threads posted on this forum in the past).

RickWaz

Reaction score
I was leaning towards the mopar ones but read that they have a pocket that holds mud and slush. So I went with the weathertech ones. They are great, highly recommend.
THANKS for the heads-up @Hrspwr88, as I had the Mopar ones installed when I got my Limited & I did not realize the "pocket" design. And yes, they are filled with sand, water & snow! 🤬 Hello Weathertech!!!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
100% WeatherTech! Not a better looking mud guard on the market and super easy to install and none of the issues that the Mopar has. Not a fan of the gator back look...reminds me of the mud guards we put on our trucks in the 80's and 90's and I don't need to advertise the word RAM, or anything else for that matter, two more times on my truck ;)

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am normally a weathertech guy bit went with the Huskys on this truck for larger coverage and better price. No drill easy install a d have been sturdy in a MN winter and carwashes etc. $68 for a full set on Amazon.

Attachments

• 20200811_200141.jpg
    20200811_200141.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 20200811_185906.jpg
    20200811_185906.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 20200811_185818.jpg
    20200811_185818.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 20200811_185828.jpg
    20200811_185828.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 117

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I am normally a weathertech guy bit went with the Huskys on this truck for larger coverage and better price. No drill easy install a d have been sturdy in a MN winter and carwashes etc. $68 for a full set on Amazon.
I don't think the coverage of the Husky is any greater that the WT. Husky's are good to...I just prefer the material WT uses over Husky...to me it appears to be more "durable". Personal preference.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For the new guys there are 8 pages of posts on the below thread.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/weathertech-husky-vs- gatorback.27059/#post-383940

from post 147
"The Mopar are the smallest, they also have a design that retains dirt and docks and are much more likely to scratch up the fender flare or any painted part they attached to, even with the protective film.

Either get the WT or Huskys, both are designed better, longer (Husky longest by 1") and barely or don't make contact with painted surfaces. I have the Husky fronts myself and love them. I am giving away a brand new set of WT fronts, however only if you live in the San Diego area. I don't want to ship them."

I don't know if it is in that thread but one member trimmed down one of the brands. Looked pretty good from the posting.

Last edited:

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
For the new guys there are 8 pages of posts on the below thread.

from post 147
"The Mopar are the smallest, they also have a design that retains dirt and docks and are much more likely to scratch up the fender flare or any painted part they attached to, even with the protective film.

Either get the WT or Huskys, both are designed better, longer (Husky longest by 1") and barely or don't make contact with painted surfaces. I have the Husky fronts myself and love them. I am giving away a brand new set of WT fronts, however only if you live in the San Diego area. I don't want to ship them."

I don't know if it is in that thread but one member trimmed down one of the brands. Looked pretty good from the posting.
I used my roll of PPF to protect the areas of the paint where the front and read guards go before installation so never any issues. Added about 15 minutes to my install time.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
100% WeatherTech! Not a better looking mud guard on the market and super easy to install and none of the issues that the Mopar has. Not a fan of the gator back look...reminds me of the mud guards we put on our trucks in the 80's and 90's and I don't need to advertise the word RAM, or anything else for that matter, two more times on my truck ;)

Gatorback mud flaps have different available bottom metal trim pieces. It doesn’t have to say anything, can even take off the metal trim piece if someone wanted to. They’re expensive but it’s because they were licensed with Ram (I think they aren’t anymore due to too much in fees).

Do you think they look like guards you put on trucks on in the 80s and 90s because they’re not stiff and rigid?
I would prefer a rubber or heavy elastic material (gatorback) to absorb the impact from debris and disperse the energy without chipping, cracking or ricocheting the debris back. Also the non pocket design (like the WT and husky) is nice.

Maybe it’s because I had the rubber rally armor mats on my Golf R and Legacy GT wagon because I’m still a child when it comes to cars.

edit: I agree on not wanting to advertise the brand fifty thousand times, mine say RAM just because I got a deal on them, would prefer blank or another image. Reminds me of people with like a z24 cavalier and slap a Chevrolet sticker across the windshield

JeffPA

Reaction score
The title of this post is “Mud Flaps for 1500 Limited”, not “Mud Flaps for Kenworth”. You’re entitled to your opinion, but, to me, the Gatorbacks look like they came straight off an 18-wheeler and have no place on a Limited.

Personally, I installed the Mopar flaps on my Limited. It was between these and the Weathertechs, but I liked the subtle Ram wording etched into the rear flaps.

Understand that people say that there are little pockets in the Mopar flaps that can fill with debris, but mine came with high-density foam filling these pockets and I have had no problems with mine filling with debris...

Maconi

Reaction score
I used my roll of PPF to protect the areas of the paint where the front and read guards go before installation so never any issues. Added about 15 minutes to my install time.
The Husky mudflaps come with pieces of PPF to protect the paint (at least mine did). Dunno about WeatherTech.

The title of this post is “Mud Flaps for 1500 Limited”, not “Mud Flaps for Kenworth”. You’re entitled to your opinion, but, to me, the Gatorbacks look like they came straight off an 18-wheeler and have no place on a Limited.

Personally, I installed the Mopar flaps on my Limited. It was between these and the Weathertechs, but I liked the subtle Ram wording etched into the rear flaps.

Understand that people say that there are little pockets in the Mopar flaps that can fill with debris, but mine came with high-density foam filling these pockets and I have had no problems with mine filling with debris...
Ahh, they must have added the foam after all the complaints. It sounds like it might be similar to those foam gutter guards.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Went with huskys. Wouldn’t put the mopars on my truck.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score

1610840876570.png

I had to, sorry haha.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Husky mudflaps come with pieces of PPF to protect the paint (at least mine did). Dunno about WeatherTech.

Ahh, they must have added the foam after all the complaints. It sounds like it might be similar to those foam gutter guards.
Yes, the WT do as well. Since I transferred them over from my 2019, I needed to use my own PPF on the 2021.

Canadian Ram

Reaction score
Thanks. On another note, how are you liking the etorque?

Users who are viewing this thread