5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MSRP of eTorque engine up to $2645

Boatjockey

Reaction score
Just reviewed a window sticker from an incoming 2019 Limited and it shows the price of the eTorque as $2645. It is listed on Autonation dealer in Houston. VIN # ends in KN627783. If this is correct it is another reason for me to walk away. They have already jacked up the level 1 package by $200.

Agitated

Reaction score
Takes a whole lot of gas at a mere 1 mpg improvement to make up that kind of coin. I can't understand this system at all. Anything that will try to spin the engine by the crank with a 10 rib pulley won't be able to put too much usable torque out before belt slippage occurs. So it can't be doing a whole lot.

rvsixer

Reaction score
The E-Torque is $2645, or $1,450 more than the standard Hemi which is listed as a $1,195 option.
Exactly. E-torque hemi is a $1450 option over non-etorque hemi, not $2645.

@Agitated - It's already known what the e-torque does. Instant 130lbft of torque available from zero rpm, on to where the hemi is started and blends in. Simply fills in where it does things better than the hemi can due to it being an ICE. Real world reports seem to be coming in its about 2mpg better overall, which would save a WHOLE lot in overall US fuel usage if even only a few percent are sold with the system (simply due to the huge market share pickups have).

Boatjockey

Reaction score
The E-Torque is $2645, or $1,450 more than the standard Hemi which is listed as a $1,195 option.
It is now. When I ordered it, it was a $1995 option (hemi was listed as $1195 for an $800 difference) and the trucks on dealer lots with eTorque show $1995 MSRP on the Monroney sticker. The truck with the $2645 eTorque is in transit. Therefore, they jacked up the price by another $650.

Soup

Reaction score
My truck is in transit, etorque was $1,995 when ordered, window sticker states cost as $2,645.

Boatjockey

Reaction score
My truck is in transit, etorque was $1,995 when ordered, window sticker states cost as $2,645.
EXACTLY, making us wait for months and then rubbing it in by jacking up the price. That really takes a set of you know whats.

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
It is now. When I ordered it, it was a $1995 option (hemi was listed as $1195 for an $800 difference) and the trucks on dealer lots with eTorque show $1995 MSRP on the Monroney sticker. The truck with the $2645 eTorque is in transit. Therefore, they jacked up the price by another $650.
Both In transit and on lot Trucks show $1995 with e-torque, at least here in Charlotte.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score

You should still pay the price that is on your order sheet, regardless of what is on the sticker

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Takes a whole lot of gas at a mere 1 mpg improvement to make up that kind of coin. I can't understand this system at all. Anything that will try to spin the engine by the crank with a 10 rib pulley won't be able to put too much usable torque out before belt slippage occurs. So it can't be doing a whole lot.
I agree 100%

Boatjockey

Reaction score
Copy of Monroney sticker

Attachments

• Scan0096.pdf
    556.3 KB · Views: 12

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I looked at 6 eTorque trucks in transit to the Northern Virginia area just now--4 said $1995, 2 said $2645.

John813

Reaction score
You should still pay the price that is on your order sheet, regardless of what is on the sticker

I agree.

Didn't think it would change once the order goes through, but definitely could be wrong.

Boatjockey

Reaction score
I agree.

Didn't think it would change once the order goes through, but definitely could be wrong.
I don't know how it works. One possibility is that the order serves as sort of a contract between the customer and producer of a product and the price is guaranteed. Another is that the price is adjustable until the truck hits KZ status and the dealer gets the invoice.
If there is anyone with knowledge on this please let us know.

Agitated

Reaction score
Exactly. E-torque hemi is a $1450 option over non-etorque hemi, not $2645.

@Agitated - It's already known what the e-torque does. Instant 130lbft of torque available from zero rpm, on to where the hemi is started and blends in. Simply fills in where it does things better than the hemi can due to it being an ICE. Real world reports seem to be coming in its about 2mpg better overall, which would save a WHOLE lot in overall US fuel usage if even only a few percent are sold with the system (simply due to the huge market share pickups have).

Sort of. I don't think that's exactly the way to measure it. There is a point of diminishing returns. I get the etorque's output is 130 ft/lb. But if measured at the crank on a 5.7 with and without etorque, will there really be 130 ft/lb difference? I don't know, but I'd bet not.
I'll put it like this, if I go and put a torque wrench on the alternator pulley nut of my truck and turn it, belt slippage is going to occur well before 130 ft/lb. I'm sure it does something and it obviously helps get the engine turning from stop or idle, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around ROI if it doesn't make the engine feel more powerful.

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
I chose to do the regular V8 because I am not a fan of start/stops. I have it on a Mercedes and it literally infuriates me. After seeing this video I can see the benefit but not sure if the price line up on city mpg improvement. I'm averaging 11 city/highway as is.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would I have opted to order the option at the new price? I probably would have passed on it. The start/stop feature is actually pretty seamless. The most noticeable thing is the exhaust "bark" when it re-fires. I suspect I'll become accustomed to it and not give it a second thought in a few weeks. It apparently helps with the MDS system as I had no idea when it was or wasn't operating on my 1208 mile jaunt Sunday.

rvsixer

Reaction score
Sort of. I don't think that's exactly the way to measure it. There is a point of diminishing returns. I get the etorque's output is 130 ft/lb. But if measured at the crank on a 5.7 with and without etorque, will there really be 130 ft/lb difference? I don't know, but I'd bet not.
I'll put it like this, if I go and put a torque wrench on the alternator pulley nut of my truck and turn it, belt slippage is going to occur well before 130 ft/lb. I'm sure it does something and it obviously helps get the engine turning from stop or idle, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around ROI if it doesn't make the engine feel more powerful.
The two drive sources are more complimentary than additive. Best explanation of etorque I found is to search youtube for "alex on autos etorque explained", in particular the etorque/hemi torque graph should help clarify things.

glennf14

Reaction score
Would I have opted to order the option at the new price? I probably would have passed on it. The start/stop feature is actually pretty seamless. The most noticeable thing is the exhaust "bark" when it re-fires. I suspect I'll become accustomed to it and not give it a second thought in a few weeks. It apparently helps with the MDS system as I had no idea when it was or wasn't operating on my 1208 mile jaunt Sunday.
Nice! Yea if the new price point sticks around, I'll probably pass on it. Seems like it would really shine if you were caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic on a regular basis and wanted to conserve fuel. $800 over the regular hemi made it interesting (a "test drive" type of decision), but $1450 over the hemi makes me quickly lose that interest :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread