5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG ?

GUNDOSUN

Reaction score
Hi all I purchased a 2020 RAM REBEL Turbo Ecodiesel 1500 4x4 black on black edition. Love the quieter diesel sound ,drives like a luxury car has lots of storage places.Just wish the MPG was better .I live in So Calif sea level and round trip to Flagstaff AZ I’m getting 22-23 mpg ,any thoughts on the peddle commander

LS954

Reaction score
thats a bit concerning. I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the ecodiesel. I live in San Diego are and have driven the jeep to and from Fallon, NV, about 540 miles. On the way there(up hill) I averaged around 29 MPG and on the way back(down hill) I averaged just over 20 MPG. I waiting to take delivery of my 1500 ED. My main reason for the purchase was the ecodiesel and the MPG but from the sounds of it doesn't seem like the MPG isn't that great.

myles

Reaction score
Hi all I purchased a 2020 RAM REBEL Turbo Ecodiesel 1500 4x4 black on black edition. Love the quieter diesel sound ,drives like a luxury car has lots of storage places.Just wish the MPG was better .I live in So Calif sea level and round trip to Flagstaff AZ I’m getting 22-23 mpg ,any thoughts on the peddle commander
how fast are you going? I also live in socal and have 10k miles on mine. the only way i can get 30mpg is if im going 65-68mph. Anything above that and the mileage drops, at 80mph i get around 21mpg

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Pedal Commander ( PC 78 ).

It works great. If you want better mileage, keep your foot out of it. That said after the pedal commander it is hard, its a different truck and pulls hard right away.

I average about 25 mpg combined. I can easily break 45-50 mpg with cruise on at 55 mph.

What final drive do you have 3.21 or 3.95? That makes a difference on the highway, the 3.21 drops 400 rpm at 75 mph. the 3.95 gives you a better powerband for towing.

You bought a truck, not a prius. be happy you can see 40+mpg at times with a 5500lb truck. The hemi's see single digits at highway speeds sometimes.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I made a trip up north to our hunting camp, total distance was just short of 2000 miles (3200km) and a good amount of that was in 4wd through snow and harsh winter weather. I averaged 9.3L/100km (approx 25mpg).

With the factory lift, larger tires and 3.92 gear ratio your mileage will suffer compared to other rams with the ecodiesel. It’s still much better than the hemi tho.

Mileage will vary a lot depending on conditions and speed aswell. On a short 30 minute highway drive at 55mph and a stiff tailwind I managed to get 38mpg.

Attachments

• 63CB4735-0DC8-4766-8FC8-397C85C8681A.jpeg
    63CB4735-0DC8-4766-8FC8-397C85C8681A.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Lone Star 4X4 with the Ecodiesel, and I just finished about a 400-mile round trip between west Texas and east New Mexico. About half of that was highway at 75 mph, and most of the rest was 2-lane blacktop at 60-65 mph, with a little 4WD action on ranch roads thrown into the mix. Had a headwind in both directions on the highway (different days). Got 29 mpg average, and the truck is not even broken in yet, with less than 1000 miles on it. Needless to say, I'm very pleased. Love this truck so far, keeping my fingers crossed that it will be reliable.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome. Aside from pedal commander, did you ever file for the Bonus Drive $250 rebate?

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I'm averaging 25 mpg 50/50 hwy city. ...I am pretty happy with these numbers.

GUNDOSUN

Reaction score

It works great. If you want better mileage, keep your foot out of it. That said after the pedal commander it is hard, its a different truck and pulls hard right away.

I average about 25 mpg combined. I can easily break 45-50 mpg with cruise on at 55 mph.

What final drive do you have 3.21 or 3.95? That makes a difference on the highway, the 3.21 drops 400 rpm at 75 mph. the 3.95 gives you a better powerband for towing.

You bought a truck, not a prius. be happy you can see 40+mpg at times with a 5500lb truck. The hemi's see single digits at highway speeds sometimes.
Thanks Oh believe me I so happy with this Ram Rebel at any mpg .Have had 2500 Silverado ,Ford 350 and 2500 Avalanche never had a RAM and will never go back .Going up hills this is the right engine and do have 3.95 but haven towed yet cant wait

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No I didn’t what is this about
thanks
It‘s a rebate that Allstate sponsors someway. Usually I’m pretty suspicious of these marketing things however after I bought my 19’, I was seeing Patsy1099 telling nearly every new owner about it, and dozens of guys reported back that they had gotten their $250 rebate check. So I followed her link and yep, I qualified, so I applied. About 7 weeks later a check comes in the mail.

I’ve never been spammed or solicited by Allstate so I have no real clue why anyone is gathering our dmv registration information, but that’s already “rentable” so who really cares. Got the $250. You just have to have a non-fca registered vehicle in the family and prove you do.

I hope that you qualify.

GUNDOSUN

Reaction score
It‘s a rebate that Allstate sponsors someway. Usually I’m pretty suspicious of these marketing things however after I bought my 19’, I was seeing Patsy1099 telling nearly every new owner about it, and dozens of guys reported back that they had gotten their $250 rebate check. So I followed her link and yep, I qualified, so I applied. About 7 weeks later a check comes in the mail.

I’ve never been spammed or solicited by Allstate so I have no real clue why anyone is gathering our dmv registration information, but that’s already “rentable” so who really cares. Got the $250. You just have to have a non-fca registered vehicle in the family and prove you do.

I hope that you qualify.
Thanks so much I’ll be checking it out

Roaminglost

Reaction score

did the pedal commander help with the turbo lag at all?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't even have a Rebel and I'm getting 22 mixed city/highway. It's a bit less than I expected.

As far as Pedal Commander goes, all it does is amplify the electronic throttle signal so that you press the pedal less distance to get the same throttle input that you got before with that amount of distance. It does nothing to correct the lazy transmission programming (which is where most of the lag comes from) or the turbo lag or the butterfly valve in the tail pipe that chokes off exhaust flow to build backpressure. The entire powertrain calibration on these is sloppy and simply amping up the throttle input is a band-aid.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
6 weeks and 5500 miles. I have been getting 24mpg at each fill up. we are still on winter blend fuel. 100 miles of my 130 miles per day is highway at 73mph with no stop lights etc and the rest is city with extremely light traffic. Limited/Off Road with 3.92 gear

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
did the pedal commander help with the turbo lag at all?

It's not a tune, It adjusts the "dead play" out of the accelerator. So you don't need to floor it and then still have the computer decide you only need 75% throttle. If you floor it, it gives you 100% ( technically a diesel is always at WOT, but I digress )

I have settled on sport -2. plain sport, the truck just seems too jumpy to scream away like a banshee. You can gently pull out feathering the gas, but as soon as you ut your foot to it some, it comes in hard and fast. I'm talking wheel chirp and traction control anytime you mash the pedal.

-2 makes you need to give it just a bit more and feels less twitchy. say 1" more pedal travel to have the same feeling as above.

Sport+ should be renamed maniac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/