5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MPG skyrocketed or just a bad fill up.

boldram

Reaction score
Hello rammers,
So i go to a WAWA gas station in Augusta, NJ with pretty empty tank ( 15 miles range ), and a gas attendant fills up with regular and TOPS it off after a click so i leave gas station with 24,4 gallons in 23 gal tank.
Leaving gas station shows range 473 miles (usually full tank 413 ).
After driving 77 miles at highway speed gas range 472 miles, didn't change. What a mystery, also my avr. MPG was 20.3
Same route, same driving my average has been 18-18.5 MPG, how the hell i 20.3 MPG and why my range didn't change after driving for 77 miles.???

N0cturnal

Reaction score
What engine? I have Hemi and have gotten 22 MPG hand calculated on highway.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can't fit 24.4 gallons in a 23 gallon tank. Are you sure you don't have a 26 gallon tank? I owned a 2020 Laramie with a 23 gallon tank, and the most I could ever squeeze in was a little over 20 gallons. And that was with 5 miles DTE. You also don't want to top off your tank. Let the pump run until it shuts off and stop. Topping off can damage the vapor collection system by allowing liquid gas to get into the charcoal canister.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Clearly a 26 gallon. The most I've ever gotten in my 26 gallon was 23 gallons when I was at 10 miles to DTE. Of course I drive a Rebel, which means I've never seen anything above 17 mpg on the highway or 13 mpg on the street.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello rammers,
So i go to a WAWA gas station in Augusta, NJ with pretty empty tank ( 15 miles range ), and a gas attendant fills up with regular and TOPS it off after a click so i leave gas station with 24,4 gallons in 23 gal tank.
Leaving gas station shows range 473 miles (usually full tank 413 ).
After driving 77 miles at highway speed gas range 472 miles, didn't change. What a mystery, also my avr. MPG was 20.3
Same route, same driving my average has been 18-18.5 MPG, how the hell i 20.3 MPG and why my range didn't change after driving for 77 miles.???
For starters, I would have slapped the **** out of the attendant for "topping off" my tank. As others have said, you obviously do not have a 23 gallon tank, either that, or you got screwed by a gas pump that isn't accurate.

As for why your DTE hasn't dropped, if the attendant "topped off" the tank, they over filled it. Your DTE mileage won't go down until the fuel level sensor sensor starts to drop, which will take longer since the tank was over filled.

Jako

Reaction score
You can't fit 24.4 gallons in a 23 gallon tank. Are you sure you don't have a 26 gallon tank? I owned a 2020 Laramie with a 23 gallon tank, and the most I could ever squeeze in was a little over 20 gallons. And that was with 5 miles DTE. You also don't want to top off your tank. Let the pump run until it shuts off and stop. Topping off can damage the vapor collection system by allowing liquid gas to get into the charcoal canister.
23.42 gallons and 26 miles to zero

Jako

Reaction score
Clearly a 26 gallon. The most I've ever gotten in my 26 gallon was 23 gallons when I was at 10 miles to DTE. Of course I drive a Rebel, which means I've never seen anything above 17 mpg on the highway or 13 mpg on the street.
23.42 gallons and 26 miles to DTE. Went 349.9 miles, Ram MPG 16. hand calculated 14.94 mpg.
Based on those numbers, going to zero DTE, should have been able to add another 1.6 gallons or so for a total of 25 gallons.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
He is in NJ, they have no choice but to let them fill their tanks.

Even in Oregon, the only other state that has gas attendants, is now allowing the choice to pump your own gas. NJ is still strict on that point.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha, I was told that NJ was strict on pumping gas, are these NJ stations or are you filling up in New York?
Depends on the station. There's a local Speedway gas station that programmed their pumps to first swipe an employee card.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
23.42 gallons and 26 miles to DTE. Went 349.9 miles, Ram MPG 16. hand calculated 14.94 mpg.
Based on those numbers, going to zero DTE, should have been able to add another 1.6 gallons or so for a total of 25 gallons.
Not sure what you are trying to get at. I've ran my tank for 15 miles after DTE read zero and still only got 24 gallon in the tank.

Jako

Reaction score
Gotcha, I was told that NJ was strict on pumping gas, are these NJ stations or are you filling up in New York?
Most NJ no problem for me. costco in Bayonne and Edison no issue filling up on my own, Costco in Barnegat "no can do" last year but no problem last month.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd say 99% of the stations I've been to in NJ, you can pump you're own. It's 100% against the law, I know I can get a ticket, and I know the station can be fined.. but I've never seen nor heard of it ever actually being enforced. I've been driving in NJ since the 90's. Every once in awhile you get a pump-jockey who will give ya some ****. If that's the case I politely decline and move on to the next station. Seen too many of them scratching cars or spilling fuel all over the paint..

Users who are viewing this thread