5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motor oil

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oh boy, here we go (another potentially interesting oil thread).

But before it goes, I always wondered does it really matter about the outside weather? Your cars thermostat and cooling systems keeps your engine at around 200 - 230F, other than the intake charge temp being a bit higher, not sure how that would effect the mechanical operation of your motor and therefore your oil?

Whether its 70F outside or 115F, how would that negatively effect a closed system set for 200F and above? I've been idling off road for hours sometimes in both cold and hot weather, never noticed any stress to the cooling system (coolant & oil), so I would think the oil is operating the same either situation?

6of36

Reaction score
Oil viscosity is measured at 0 degrees, and 212 degrees. 0w-20 means the oil will flow like a straight 0 weight oil when it is at 0 degrees, but flow like a 20 weight oil, when it is at 212 degrees. In extremely hot weather, you would be okay to switch to a 5w-20, because it will never be too cold to be too thick, but the engine is designed to run the 20 weight when warm.

RedFred

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about the 0w-20 oil I live in south Texas gets a bit hot here… any alternative
My 2015 Laramie with hemi asks for 0w-20 also. I have been using 5w-30 for the last 100K miles. Currently it has 182k miles on it and still no problems. Lots of guys with the 4th Gen trucks switched to 5w-30 with no issues.

6of36

Reaction score
My 2015 Laramie with hemi asks for 0w-20 also. I have been using 5w-30 for the last 100K miles. Currently it has 182k miles on it and still no problems. Lots of guys with the 4th Gen trucks switched to 5w-30 with no issues.
It's not going to hurt anything other than mileage. I prefer 5w-20, because the 0W-20 is more prone to lifter clatter, due to leakdown of the thin oil when cold.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not going to hurt anything other than mileage. I prefer 5w-20, because the 0W-20 is more prone to lifter clatter, due to leakdown of the thin oil when cold.
That's funny because I have seen several posts from people who switched to the 0w-20 and said the lifter tick went away

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
People switched TO the 0W20 water oil and the valvetrain got quiet? No, that's got to be backward. It's the exact opposite. The thicker viscosity "sticks" to the cam lobes and valvetrain much better and heavily reduces wear. I for one will never go back.

There are countless threads explaining how the manufacturer's desires and the consumer's desires are two totally different things, no need to go into all that again. If you plan to keep your truck long term, do yourself a favor and never buy 0W20 or 5W20 engine oil.

The 6.4 trucks spec 5W40 I think. Some Ford V8s spec 5W50. I have been using 5W30 but if I was towing more often in summer I'd probably run 5W40.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
People switched TO the 0W20 water

The 6.4 trucks spec 5W40 I think. Some Ford V8s spec 5W50. I have been using 5W30 but if I was towing more often in summer I'd probably run 5W40.

There is an ex-RAM mechanic who has several videos that cover lifter failures, and he noted that in his experience, he was dealing with a higher number of 6.4L having lifter failures than the 5.7L. Considering the 6.4L has neither MDS and uses a thicker oil, that runs counter that thicker oil is better, at least in regards to lifters.

I watched a video on a Hemi engine builder that stated almost all the lifter failures he saw was was from owners using too thick of oil. Before I watched that video, I was seriously considering going up to a Chrysler approved 5W-30, if there is one.

Again, other than anecdotal opinion (on both sides), I have yet to find a single report that states we 3rd gen Hemi owners should go to 5W-30. I would do it in heartbeat if I had proof it actually helped my engines durability, instead of starving the lifters of oil for being too thick, which is the counter position others have.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about the 0w-20 oil I live in south Texas gets a bit hot here… any alternative
Wow. Are you serious right now? You just have to be trolling us right?

Ponyboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the honest reply, i guess some one thought I was trolling the site whatever Thank you...

silver billet

Reaction score
Thanks for the honest reply, i guess some one thought I was trolling the site whatever Thank you...

You're better off asking this question on the BITOG forum where there are actual oil experts and formulators with degrees, people who study this and do it for a living. You won't figure out the truth on this forum.

You can definitely run a high quality 5w-30 full synthetic in your truck all year around. Texas does not get cold enough to need 0w.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Laugh if you want. Don't really care. I won't be paying for your lifter/cam issues.

I find it amusing that the engine hasn't changed AT ALL since 2009, but the oil spec has been changed at least three times if not four in the owners manuals over the years, and guys will still believe that the 0W20 was specified because of "tolerances" in the engine or "to make the MDS system work properly" or some other B.S.

No, no it wasn't. It's 100% a ploy to reduce EPA fines. That's all. 0W20 is not what's best for the engine. It's simply what works in the engine to the end of warranty period (most of the time) while saving the automaker money in fines. News just last week said they paid something like $225M in EPA fines last year. Any of that they can get back they will. They don't care if your Hemi lasts 400,000 miles.

Jako

Reaction score
Welcome to the 5th Gen Forum. The "conversation" over oil has been going on for a long time and some have "heavy" opinions while others go with the "flow". Time will tell.
If you are a troll ask about octane.
OR
Gear ratios

Scram1500

Reaction score
0w20 and 5w20 are the same viscosity at operating temperature. Don't let the winter weight scare you off.

Those are "ballpark" numbers anyway. You need to see the actual specification sheet from the manufacturer for cold and hot viscosity. For example the pour point of Pennzoil Ultra 0w20 is -48 Celcius while the pour point of Ravenol 5w20 is -63 Celcius

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Laugh if you want. Don't really care. I won't be paying for your lifter/cam issues.

I find it amusing that the engine hasn't changed AT ALL since 2009, but the oil spec has been changed at least three times if not four in the owners manuals over the years, and guys will still believe that the 0W20 was specified because of "tolerances" in the engine or "to make the MDS system work properly" or some other B.S.

No, no it wasn't. It's 100% a ploy to reduce EPA fines. That's all. 0W20 is not what's best for the engine. It's simply what works in the engine to the end of warranty period (most of the time) while saving the automaker money in fines. News just last week said they paid something like $225M in EPA fines last year. Any of that they can get back they will. They don't care if your Hemi lasts 400,000 miles.
Considering 5w-20, and now 0-w20 have been speced since they started using MDS on the truck engines, and 5w-20 was always speced on the LX line with MDS. The only time 5w-30 was speced was before MDS. But I'm sure it's just for emissions

Users who are viewing this thread