5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motor oil

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Oil requirements, and oils have changed tremendously since the gas engine was invented. Until the 60s, straight 30 weight was the only oil recommended, except in extreme conditions. Cars had solid lifters in most cases. Oil was just oil. Since then, engines are manufactured differently, with different materials. Oils have been chemically altered, and now pretty much all use synthetic. If you look at the oil requirements on an engine from 10 years ago, the oil requirements were for a much lower spec of oil. I don't even know what the current spec is, but last time I payed attention to the bottle it was something like SG. Ten years ago, it was like SC. With better engineered synthetic oils, they can specify thinner oils, to get better mileage. I know two people who run the specified weight, and one has 270,000 miles, and the other 340,000 miles on their cars. They are both Ford vehicles, but that doesn't matter. The important thing is getting oil changes.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A high quality Partially Hydrogenated Oil and you should be fine

Users who are viewing this thread