5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motofab 2" Level Kit with 1" Rear Coil Spacer

Cleave

Reaction score
Just wanted to share some comparison photos. I put the 2" level on the first week I had the truck a few months ago in February. I chose the 2" offering instead of the 2.5", because I wanted to maintain somewhat of a tiny rake. I forgot to take measurements beforehand. Afterwords, The truck measured almost perfectly "level" - I'd say within 1/8 to 1/4", measuring from corner to corner, pavement to center of fender flare. However, to my eye it looked droopy, or sagging in the rear. I ordered the 1" rear coil spacer from motofab, but got held up from installing for a few months with the Covid situation in NY. Finally got them installed this week. Although the difference is pretty subtle, and my wife can't even tell, I'm happy with stance now. It looks a little weak still on stock tires, but I'm hoping to fix that soon.

Bone Stock, 1 Day Old
IMG_5121.jpg

2" Level (Front Only)

IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5185.jpg

2" Level + 1" Rear Spacer

IMG_5767.jpg

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Looks great! I've been considering this, so thanks for posting up pics. Contemplating swapping my level kit w/ Bilstein 5100's up front and a spacer or higher springs in the rear. How does it drive now with spacers on both front and rear?

Cleave

Reaction score
Looks great! I've been considering this, so thanks for posting up pics. Contemplating swapping my level kit w/ Bilstein 5100's up front and a spacer or higher springs in the rear. How does it drive now with spacers on both front and rear?

Thanks! Honestly, I think you’d be hard pressed to tell much of a difference from stock. The rear, I can’t notice at all. I don’t have a ton of miles on it yet, but it’s very smooth around town and commuting to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
Thanks! Honestly, I think you’d be hard pressed to tell much of a difference from stock. The rear, I can’t notice at all. I don’t have a ton of miles on it yet, but it’s very smooth around town and commuting to work.

Cool, good to hear! Your truck looks like a truck should IMO. Upgraded tires will finish it off. Here’s mine with the leveling kit and 285/65/20 tires with stock wheels. No rear spacer obviously. 23719747-D68C-4111-8B8F-F4038620D311.jpeg

WA-G

Reaction score
I have same issue. Could you share the PN for the rear spacer you used? Did you install or have a shop install?

Cleave

Reaction score
I have same issue. Could you share the PN for the rear spacer you used? Did you install or have a shop install?

Sure the motofab kit is part # DR-1R. I ordered it directly from their site. Put the link below. A friend of mine is a mechanic and He did the install for me at his shop. I suppose it's possible on the ground with jacks, but much easier with a lift. It was a quick task for him, charged me like $40 to throw them in.

Motofab 1" Rear Spacers

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures and the thread. I had the 2" Motofab spacers added to my RAM the other day, and while it's within the same tolerance as yours, I also seem to think it looks odd. I stuck my 4ft level on the bed rail and there is definitely some rake in the level of the truck, but it still just seems odd sitting to me (might be all mental in my case). I called Motofab about it to see if perhaps they had a 1" kit instead of a 2", and they offered to send me the DR-1's for the rear for free. I tried to pay for them, as I was not faulting them by any means. The guy insisted. I think I'll toss them on it and see what it looks like... seems like it might be just perfect with them on there.

Cleave

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures and the thread. I had the 2" Motofab spacers added to my RAM the other day, and while it's within the same tolerance as yours, I also seem to think it looks odd. I stuck my 4ft level on the bed rail and there is definitely some rake in the level of the truck, but it still just seems odd sitting to me (might be all mental in my case). I called Motofab about it to see if perhaps they had a 1" kit instead of a 2", and they offered to send me the DR-1's for the rear for free. I tried to pay for them, as I was not faulting them by any means. The guy insisted. I think I'll toss them on it and see what it looks like... seems like it might be just perfect with them on there.

Wow, that’s pretty solid customer service from them to send those out free. Same here -I didn’t fault them at all. Just thought I’d prefer to bring the rear up slightly. Luckily it’s a fairly inexpensive part. Post some pics when you get it installed.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that’s pretty solid customer service from them to send those out free. Same here -I didn’t fault them at all. Just thought I’d prefer to bring the rear up slightly. Luckily it’s a fairly inexpensive part. Post some pics when you get it installed.
I know... I was on the phone with the guy trying to make sure he did not think I was calling to complain, but instead just to see if they had the 1" kit. I guess since they could not offer me what I wanted that he thought I was going to be upset. Anyway... really nice of them to do it, even though I would have happily paid for them. I almost feel guilty, but he refused to take payment no matter how much I insisted.

As soon as I get somewhere that I have level ground I'll take a pic. It looks much better to me now.

RamTex19

Reaction score
Sonnie, your stance looks spot on. Would you agree the MotoFab 2.5” level kit is too much?

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Looks good. Similar to my truck with the ORP. I put a half inch spacer in the front Monday (for now) so essentially I’m 1.5 inch front and 1 inch rear compared to a non-ORP regular ram. Just a little more rake not quite level but it’s OK if I tow I will be level. These trucks should have come a half inch higher from the factory. Way too much droop in the front. Now I’m suffering from small tires too... lol

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sonnie, your stance looks spot on. Would you agree the MotoFab 2.5” level kit is too much?
Hmmm... another .5" might be okay. At times when I look at mine now it almost seems as there is now too much rake again. lol ... (as my wife says... you men are never satisfied with what you have - then I remind her we've been married for 35 years). As a matter of fact... I even went so far as to contemplating taking both the front and back spacers off and going with Bilsteins on the front to get it toe 1.7" instead of 2". I'm just worried I will loose my floaty ride. I know a lot of guys don't like it, but I love it... makes it ride more smooth to me. I get mixed opinions on the Bilsteins... some say it doesn't change the ride, and some say it makes it stiffer.

Looks good. Similar to my truck with the ORP. I put a half inch spacer in the front Monday (for now) so essentially I’m 1.5 inch front and 1 inch rear compared to a non-ORP regular ram. Just a little more rake not quite level but it’s OK if I tow I will be level. These trucks should have come a half inch higher from the factory. Way too much droop in the front. Now I’m suffering from small tires too... lol
I increased my tire size from 275/55r20 to 275/60r20 gaining an inch of height. I wanted to fill in the wheel wells a little more, but then I went and added the spacers and lost that inch back in the rear and 2 inches in the front... which is another reason I'm considering the Bilsteins as mentioned abvove.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm looking at my truck on each side... from one side it looks pretty good, but the other side looks like it is borderline too much rake. So I measure, both from the level concrete floor up and from the center hub up to the fender well, and the right side is 3/4" higher than the left. The back is equal height. I noticed the front dropped a little after installing the 1" rear spacers.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Well it looks good in the above photo. If you tow that will bring that rear end down quite a bit. Having a little rake isn’t a bad thing unless you never tow and want it level. I had 5100’s on my last truck (15 1500 Ram) and I liked the ride much better. They are stiffer but they are also softer. In other words the truck will have less sway due to firmer compression rate. However when going over bumps it absorbs the impact better and reacts much better than the factory shocks giving it a softer feel. The float and sway is dangerous and makes trucks roll.

Back in March I was heading up interstate 84 through Idaho and was staring too long in my rearview mirror in the dark at night, got distracted with something behind shining in the mirror. When I put my eyes back in front of me a collision with a big *** buck was eminent. I was lined up perfect with his midsection and rear haunches. I had just finished driving a semi truck for a week which has much stiffer steering and jerked the wheel of my ram too far to the right to avoid hitting the deer. I heard the tires go beyond the rumble strip, I thought oh crap here we go hold on tight and pulled the wheel again to the left to get back on the road. I thought for sure I was going to roll. Instead the truck went right back into the lane of travel without any fuss just like a German sports car. I was astounded and grateful. I firmly believe having the 5100s kept me from rolling.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I may try out the Bilsteins and see what they are like. I've had them on an older 2013 Dodge Ram and didn't notice a difference, but that truck was already pretty stiff.

My biggest concern is what you mentioned, being soft over rough roads. I just don't want anything that's going to start getting jarring type bouncy. I remember hitting bumps on my Ford and I thought it was going to jar my teeth out. I really like the softer smoother ride, but I would mind being able to corner with less roll. I've been afraid of installing an upgrade swaybar due to fear of the ride getting too stiff.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
I may try out the Bilsteins and see what they are like. I've had them on an older 2013 Dodge Ram and didn't notice a difference, but that truck was already pretty stiff.

My biggest concern is what you mentioned, being soft over rough roads. I just don't want anything that's going to start getting jarring type bouncy. I remember hitting bumps on my Ford and I thought it was going to jar my teeth out. I really like the softer smoother ride, but I would mind being able to corner with less roll. I've been afraid of installing an upgrade swaybar due to fear of the ride getting too stiff.
Your concerns are valid. My last truck spent a lot of time off road and the ride was much improved with the 5100s. These rams with the coil springs front and rear ride and handle much better then leaf spring trucks.
Upgrading the rear sway bar will only decrease sway it will not add stiffness to the ride. It is a torsional spring. Off-road however it will decrease flex because you’re fighting the increased role stiffness which is why wranglers and power wagons have swaybar disconnects for increased articulation.
When I was a BMW technician setting up suspension systems was one of my favorite things to do.
This was my last truck with 5100s Icon rear springs 33” Falken AT3w tires

Attachments

• FD8334AB-E1D5-4E43-8CA7-211A2FF29636.jpeg
    FD8334AB-E1D5-4E43-8CA7-211A2FF29636.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 1BD0E1AD-C6F1-4F5C-997A-E0191A67AEFA.jpeg
    1BD0E1AD-C6F1-4F5C-997A-E0191A67AEFA.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread