5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar will 'give' me $5000 if I cancel my extended warranty

Reverse

Reaction score
We have an unlimited (mileage and time) extended warranty on our 2014 truck. Just received this promotion from Mopar.

Interesting offer, but:
- new trucks are still too expensive (after insane price increases over last 4 years)
- we like our 2014, and have just invested good money into replacing wear items (front suspension mainly)
- the potential value of the extended warranty over the remaining life of the truck is worth more than $5000, IMO
- the language in the offer: 'may be eligible' and 'up to $5000' - sounds like bait &switch

So, thanks but no thanks; interesting marketing ploy though.

Am I being too cynical?

Warr5000.png

RAL

Reaction score
Very interesting. They must be losing alot of money on the program as the vehicles age - not because the trucks are bad but because of the simple reality that aging trucks require more repairs - and someone in finance is looking to buyout that open ended liability. I would keep your truck until you are good and ready for an upgrade and it sounds like that is where you are.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have an unlimited (mileage and time) extended warranty on our 2014 truck. Just received this promotion from Mopar.

Interesting offer, but:
- new trucks are still too expensive (after insane price increases over last 4 years)
- we like our 2014, and have just invested good money into replacing wear items (front suspension mainly)
- the potential value of the extended warranty over the remaining life of the truck is worth more than $5000, IMO
- the language in the offer: 'may be eligible' and 'up to $5000' - sounds like bait &switch

So, thanks but no thanks; interesting marketing ploy though.

Am I being too cynical?

View attachment 166566
Just email them back and explain that you think you’ve got an $8000 warranty claim coming up, so you’ll pass unless the offer is around that amount

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to know a person that got the same letter/ offer back in 2021. Said he had called and was offer the full amount. But wasn't ready to buy new so he didn't pull the trigger.
Curious to see if that can be combine with the current incentives if so that would an exellent amount if you were to purchase thru mark dodge for example.
I think they were at like a 11-12% delaer discount. 5k from this offer and incentives.
That sounds sweet.
But like you said it might not be enought for your situation and they no longer offer life time warranties

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Up to $5,000. With 500 stipulations. It's just like every ad they put on TV for deals. Nobody actually qualifies for the advertised deal.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would never get rid of a truck with a lifetime powertrain warranty unless the power train was a worthless one.

n8zcc

Reaction score
I received the same back in the late fall of 2021. I had the lifetime zero deductible on my 2013 Larmine 1500 and I was thinking of getting into a new 2022 Longhorn ECODiesel. I handed the offer letter to my dealer, I was skeptical but I got the money and traded in the 2013. I used the Costco auto purchase process which gave me the truck for 2% under invoice plus the 2013 brought in a high trade value of $23,000. I did well during that time period of part shortages. The funny part about this is I got more money for canceling the Mopar MAXCare service contract than I paid for it.

Reverse

Reaction score
I received the same back in the late fall of 2021. I had the lifetime zero deductible on my 2013 Larmine 1500 and I was thinking of getting into a new 2022 Longhorn ECODiesel. I handed the offer letter to my dealer, I was skeptical but I got the money and traded in the 2013. I used the Costco auto purchase process which gave me the truck for 2% under invoice plus the 2013 brought in a high trade value of $23,000. I did well during that time period of part shortages. The funny part about this is I got more money for canceling the Mopar MAXCare service contract than I paid for it.
Would be same for me. I paid around $2200 for the warranty I believe.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Not sure if you have tried a warranty claim since April this year. They changed their claim process for ONLY lifetime warranties to make the process painful and VERY long. Unless its a 3rd car, the warranty is almost useless.

yellowboy

Reaction score
I would take this in a minute if it was offered to me on my 2019 Ram and could be used on anything BUT a Ram because that is my next purchase

6of36

Reaction score
I would take this in a minute if it was offered to me on my 2019 Ram and could be used on anything BUT a Ram because that is my next purchase
When I had a brand new Cadillac ElDorado, GM said it was NORMAL to burn 3 quarts between oil changes. That is high consumption for a Ram. Engine warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles, take it in.

spyder

Reaction score
When I had a brand new Cadillac ElDorado, GM said it was NORMAL to burn 3 quarts between oil changes. That is high consumption for a Ram. Engine warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles, take it in.
With the Northstar I assume? It was normal to burn one quart and GM was very vocal about that. I've never heard or see them say that three quarts was normal.

6of36

Reaction score
With the Northstar I assume? It was normal to burn one quart and GM was very vocal about that. I've never heard or see them say that three quarts was normal.
Yes it was a Northstar, and it was concidered normal for 3 quarts. They said that was the only reason they put an 8 quart pan on them. Low oil light would come on when 3 quarts low, and if it was burning more, just go to any GM dealer and they would fill for free. They knew it was garbage.

spyder

Reaction score
Eh, the N* was a fantastic engine design for the time when it was designed. Known and expected oil consumption is not an issue, just like using DEF in modern diesel engines isn't an issue and replacing worn brake and suspension components isn't an issue. Proper maintenance on a known and expected schedule is a normal and perfectly acceptable thing.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure if you have tried a warranty claim since April this year. They changed their claim process for ONLY lifetime warranties to make the process painful and VERY long. Unless its a 3rd car, the warranty is almost useless.
Curious if you can elaborate on this?

I also still have one vehicle left with the MaxCare Lifetime coverage but have not filed a claim recently

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Curious if you can elaborate on this?

I also still have one vehicle left with the MaxCare Lifetime coverage but have not filed a claim recently
They no longer allow the dealer to contact the claims department by phone. Its email only and they sit on the claim for 3-5 weeks before approval/denial. What used to take a day for approval now takes > 3 weeks before parts can even be ordered. Dealers are annoyed at the whole thing as well but their hands are tied. It's a 100% intentional act because they made a dumb business decision to offer LT warranties; I'm sure someone will bring this to class action.

6of36

Reaction score
They no longer allow the dealer to contact the claims department by phone. Its email only and they sit on the claim for 3-5 weeks before approval/denial. What used to take a day for approval now takes > 3 weeks before parts can even be ordered. Dealers are annoyed at the whole thing as well but their hands are tied. It's a 100% intentional act because they made a dumb business decision to offer LT warranties; I'm sure someone will bring this to class action.
Probably more do to the fact that nobody works in the offices any more. Everyone works remote. Slows down everything. My girlfriends father worked for GM. Since he recently died, she still gets what they call a "legacy" discount. It took a month for them to approve the paperwork.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Probably more do to the fact that nobody works in the offices any more. Everyone works remote. Slows down everything. My girlfriends father worked for GM. Since he recently died, she still gets what they call a "legacy" discount. It took a month for them to approve the paperwork.
Naw.
You can work remote and still accept phone calls even as though you were in the office with the same amount or more of oversight from management.
It would need to be a differnet reason.

Users who are viewing this thread