5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Trifold hard Tonneau Cover (and Bakflip MX4?) not latching properly

Rich

Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing this issue?

I have the Mopar version of the BackFlip MX4, it's Mopar part number 82215225AC (previously 82215225AB) for the 5'7" bed with the Rambox.

It installed easily and looks great. The difference from the MX4 is that the Mopar version has a slightly glossy finish. but otherwise they appear the same in that you can open and close the tailgate without opening the cover first.

The problem is that there is side to side (left/right) movement in the cover so the latches don't hold properly.

It appears that the rails are not wide enough, or the latches on the cover is not wide enough to fully engage the rails to lock.

Click on this link to see this video as a demonstration of the issue:

Sometimes if you drive over some bumps while going around a corner, it will shift, but the main problem is that someone can simply shift it with their fingers from side to side and then open the cover easily, so there is no security at all. Not that it's supposed to be break-in proof, but it should be a better fitment than this.

The manufacturer says if the installation knobs were tighter it wouldn't shift when driving, but if you try to tighten them too much, it will crush the cover, and it can still be shifted by hand. So this is not the solution.

I'm still working with them to see if they can solve this issue, but I'd like to know if anyone else is having this problem? So those of you with the RAMBOX versions of this cover, the BakFlip MX4, or the Mopar version. Does yours do the same thing?

Thanks!

k1kelley

Reaction score
Check out my post

Once you move the latches out they will help keep the panels centered as well.
I also found that once everything is lined up square to make sure the front bolts are really snug, but make sure not to over tighten. I tightened mine to the point where the panel around the bolts started to dimple a little.

Hope this helps. I don't have RamBoxes but I think adjusting the latches might help fix your issue.

Rich

Reaction score
I don't see any adjustment in the latches.

I'm communicating with TruckHero (manufacturer) and they say to tighten the bolts, but I found if too tight it will squash the cover. Obviously that's too tight as it says to only tighten enough to flatten the lock washer and no more.

They didn't say anything about adjusting the latches. I'm waiting for another reply from them.

So I'm wondering if other covers with the Ramboxes do the same thing? Perhaps they have a tolerance issue.

Does your unit without the Rambox do that? can you push the cover to the side and unlatch it?

mike12193

Reaction score
Those latches do adjust with the Phillips head screws. I needed to adjust mine to make sure the cover would stay closed. I adjusted the last two sets and now they are nice and tight and secure. I have a 6.4 regular bed bud I believe the latches are the same for the Rambox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k1kelley

Reaction score
I don't see any adjustment in the latches.

I'm communicating with TruckHero (manufacturer) and they say to tighten the bolts, but I found if too tight it will squash the cover. Obviously that's too tight as it says to only tighten enough to flatten the lock washer and no more.

They didn't say anything about adjusting the latches. I'm waiting for another reply from them.

So I'm wondering if other covers with the Ramboxes do the same thing? Perhaps they have a tolerance issue.

Does your unit without the Rambox do that? can you push the cover to the side and unlatch it?

Since I adjusted the latches they engage the way they are supposed to and there is no side to side movement. I had to remove the two screws on each latch, slide the latch over a bit and then using my drill drive the screws back in making new holes. They are self tapping screws. I did it this way so I could get the amount of movement I needed as the original screw holes didn't allow it to slide enough.

Rich

Reaction score
I looked at it and do see how you could make that adjustment.

To me it appears to be a bad fitment. The panels are not wide enough as you can see the rubber gasket that should sit against the rail is about 1/4 inch short of the rail on both sides. This means there is about 1/2 inch of movement, which allows for the cover to be slid to one side, unlatched, and then slide the other direction to allow the second side to be opened.

On of the reasons for choosing this cover is that they advertise that it is locked when the tailgate is locked. I know that anything can be broken into or defeated, but this is nuts and offers no security at all. It easier to open it this way than to open the tailgate and pull on the latch release!

I sent pictures to Truckhero so their engineers could take a look.

I suppose you could adjust the latches as you did, but then your just compensating for the bad fitment and not solving the root problem. I may have to do this if they don't come up with an appropriate solution.

The reason for my post was to determine how many others were seeing this issue.

Rich

Reaction score
Here are the photos of the issue to show how much 'slack' is available that causes it to fit sloppy on the truck.

You can see here that the truck rails are about 50 9/16 apart. Truck Hero says this is the expected measurement (50.6 inches at the cab and tail):
20190419_143517.jpg

The cover is about 50 3/16 wide, Truck Hero says this is within specifications:
20190419_143545.jpg

There is about 5.75mm or more of space between each cover section and the rails on each space (total of 11.5mm, or just under 1/2 inch of space which allows the cover to slide back and forth):

Left side(5.75mm):
20190419_143210.jpg

Right side (5.75mm):
20190419_143251.jpg

There is about 8.5mm of space between the latch and the rail:
Left side (8.39mm):
20190419_143333.jpg

Right side (9.02mm):
20190419_143420.jpg

Truck Hero says if the cover is centered, then the latches will hold and that the truck and cover is within expected specifications.

Therefore their specifications will allow for this side to side movement. This ends up with the cover being fit so loosely, that it's easier to slide it to each side and lift the cover, than it is to drop the tailgate, reach in and pull on the unlock cable to open the cover!

I didn't demo it in the video in the first post, but you can easily stand on one side of the truck, push the cover to one side, lift that side, then pull on the cover to the other side and then be able to lift the cover and have full access to the bed. It hardly could be considered secure or locked by the tailgate!

My question is for those of you with the Backflip MX4: does yours also do this without any modications as k1kelley has done? Unfortunately Truck Hero says that any modification will void the warranty.

gr8ridn

Reaction score
As I recall my MX4 cover came with a pack of spacers to tighten up the clearance to the side rails. With my standard bed the spacers were not needed. These spacers should be able to tighten the width from the 6 clamp points to 5mm clearance with the cover rails, that is 2.5 - 3mm each side. You might contact Bakflip if they can provide the cloth spacers.

Rich

Reaction score
As I recall my MX4 cover came with a pack of spacers to tighten up the clearance to the side rails. With my standard bed the spacers were not needed. These spacers should be able to tighten the width from the 6 clamp points to 5mm clearance with the cover rails, that is 2.5 - 3mm each side. You might contact Bakflip if they can provide the cloth spacers.
I don't think they allow spacers on the Rambox version as there are no clamps, the rails slide into the track.

TVANVA

Reaction score
I have a RamBox with the MX4 cover (not the Mopar OEM) and there is zero play side to side.

Rich

Reaction score
I have a RamBox with the MX4 cover (not the Mopar OEM) and there is zero play side to side.

This is good to know! So you can't open it as shown in the video in the first post?

Rich

Reaction score
This is getting very frustrating.

Now Truck hero says my truck is built within FCA specs, and their cover is within the specs that FCA asked for, so they can't do anything about this fitment issue. It's not their fault that the cover doesn't properly fit on my Rambox truck.

They are giving vague answers about the Bakflip MX4, and haven't answered if it's built to the same dimensions as the Mopar version, only saying that they have different engineers that work on each project.

Is there anyone in the Southern NH or north east Massachusetts area with a Rambox and has a Bakflip MX4 installed? Perhaps we can get together so I can make some measurements to see if the MX4 will work on my truck?

Thanks!

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the TruckGear (LineX) version of the MX4 and it absolutely does not have this issue. I went out and checked and I cannot slide it over and unlatch it. I have to open my tailgate first.

Rich

Reaction score
I have the TruckGear (LineX) version of the MX4 and it absolutely does not have this issue. I went out and checked and I cannot slide it over and unlatch it. I have to open my tailgate first.

Thanks for this info!

I wish I could find someone local so I could make some measurements of the truck and cover!

Could you measure the width of the rear most panel, next to the tailgate, from just inside of the rubber 'gasket' that is attached to the panel? Basically the part of the panel that sits in the track that is added to the bed?

See my photo above, I get about 50 inches (or 50 1/8 if you include the width of the rubber gasket).

Also is the width of your rails at the tailgate where the cover sits 50 9/16 apart as in my photo above?

If I could find someone local that had the Rambox and cover, I could know for sure.

NoRamForUconnect

Reaction score
Is anyone else seeing this issue?

I have the Mopar version of the BackFlip MX4, it's Mopar part number 82215225AC (previously 82215225AB) for the 5'7" bed with the Rambox.

It installed easily and looks great. The difference from the MX4 is that the Mopar version has a slightly glossy finish. but otherwise they appear the same in that you can open and close the tailgate without opening the cover first.

The problem is that there is side to side (left/right) movement in the cover so the latches don't hold properly.

It appears that the rails are not wide enough, or the latches on the cover is not wide enough to fully engage the rails to lock.

Click on this link to see this video as a demonstration of the issue:

Sometimes if you drive over some bumps while going around a corner, it will shift, but the main problem is that someone can simply shift it with their fingers from side to side and then open the cover easily, so there is no security at all. Not that it's supposed to be break-in proof, but it should be a better fitment than this.

The manufacturer says if the installation knobs were tighter it wouldn't shift when driving, but if you try to tighten them too much, it will crush the cover, and it can still be shifted by hand. So this is not the solution.

I'm still working with them to see if they can solve this issue, but I'd like to know if anyone else is having this problem? So those of you with the RAMBOX versions of this cover, the BakFlip MX4, or the Mopar version. Does yours do the same thing?

Thanks!
I installed this part on my 19 limted, I had to remove the screws and spread the latches, the cover fits perfectly, I also adjusted the rails as low as I could to keep the last panel close to the tailgate, all in all nice cover, on a side note check the rods that are used to hold the cover in place when its folded up mine were to long, I had to trim them a little.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for this info!

I wish I could find someone local so I could make some measurements of the truck and cover!

Could you measure the width of the rear most panel, next to the tailgate, from just inside of the rubber 'gasket' that is attached to the panel? Basically the part of the panel that sits in the track that is added to the bed?

See my photo above, I get about 50 inches (or 50 1/8 if you include the width of the rubber gasket).

Also is the width of your rails at the tailgate where the cover sits 50 9/16 apart as in my photo above?

If I could find someone local that had the Rambox and cover, I could know for sure.

My measurements were very close to yours, I just checked. But mine has zero wiggle to the left and right, unlike your video. I would try the adjustments other posters have made. It seems like tightening down some bolts or adjusting latches is the key here.

pinkerton

Reaction score
This is getting very frustrating.

Now Truck hero says my truck is built within FCA specs, and their cover is within the specs that FCA asked for, so they can't do anything about this fitment issue. It's not their fault that the cover doesn't properly fit on my Rambox truck.

They are giving vague answers about the Bakflip MX4, and haven't answered if it's built to the same dimensions as the Mopar version, only saying that they have different engineers that work on each project.

Is there anyone in the Southern NH or north east Massachusetts area with a Rambox and has a Bakflip MX4 installed? Perhaps we can get together so I can make some measurements to see if the MX4 will work on my truck?

Thanks!
I have installed two backflip MX4's and both have this problem. I don't want to adjust the latches because mine won't latch as it is now. If I drop the cover, one side latches and the other won't - I have to pull the cable to get them both latched. I beleive it's the rail that the cover is sitting on torqueing inward when the latch hits it. When I watch the video installation of the old (classic) design, the rails have a much more solid mounting system. Why can't we use that?

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know you also have this problem.

I'm not getting anywhere. Truck Hero basically said that my cover was built to proper specifications, and my truck is within FCA specifications, therefore there is nothing more they will do about this.

They also said if I make any modifications, then it will void the warranty.

I adjusted the latches a bit, and it works now, but it's a bit of a hack fix.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After I installed mine, I noticed the white plastic latches were binding when closing. They get slightly twisted inside the black housings. I played with them for a bit and figured out that this twisting (torquing) was causing the square edges of the white parts to bind with the housing. I manually torqued them and pushed them in several times which scraped off a bit of the square edge. They then closed perfectly with no binding. I think normal use would eventually have the same effect.
Since then they close as you'd expect and you can just drop the sections from ~5" high and they latch.

pinkerton

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know you also have this problem.

I'm not getting anywhere. Truck Hero basically said that my cover was built to proper specifications, and my truck is within FCA specifications, therefore there is nothing more they will do about this.

They also said if I make any modifications, then it will void the warranty.

I adjusted the latches a bit, and it works now, but it's a bit of a hack fix.
Did you install your rails by pushing/sliding them onto your bed rails (almost like a press fit)? Or did yours mount like mine wherein you slide them on and then tighten several bolts that draw up tabs to secure the rail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online