5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar Mud Flaps - Think Again

shodeadman

Reaction score
I want to add mudflaps and fender flares to my vehicle. My truck didnt come with OEM Fender and I want a clean looking install for both. Links to products you've used and Pics would be greatly appreciated.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to give props to the Weathertech Mud Flaps, they come with the Clear protective film to prevent scratches if you ever decide to remove them. The fit is perfect and there is no cavity to fill up with anything.

jorgegg

Reaction score
I should've listen to this RJS/this thread. I went with Mopar splash guards and after 3 weeks I had to take them off.

I wonder if the engineer who designed these ever used them on non paved or off roads. It doesn't take much to start filling the pockets and the drain strip will only work for so long. I should've used that money towards a better product. Luckly, they came off easy and left no marks on the paint.

A lesson to anyone considering Mopar splash guards.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck came with the mopar flaps and today I was looking at them and they were filled with mud and water. Also they’re installed with no protection film so I order the husky ones and will toss these out once they get delivered on Monday.

Cortesio

Reaction score
0887902D-7404-407F-8997-F3745A26CB94.jpeg
I’m glad I didn’t go with the Mopar flaps after reading about them here. I got the WeatherTech flaps and they have been great.

Doc33

Reaction score
Bought some 1/8" HDPE (high density plastic) 12 x 12 sheets, and will trim to fit, and mount to the inside of the fender liner and mud flap. Should cure most if not all of the problem.
Any pics of your handy work regarding these splash guards.? I was thinking of doing same

speedracernc

Reaction score
anyone who is going to throw the Mopar one's away I am happy to pay for shipping to send them to me.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
anyone who is going to throw the Mopar one's away I am happy to pay for shipping to send them to me.
Should've posted this when i did mine. I would've gladly shipped them before tossing them in the trash.

Wtray

Reaction score
Just attempted install of Husky Mudflaps as I am removing my Mopar ones; however, I am surprised at the gap between the flare and the edge of the mudflap. Of course it is too late to talk to anyone at Husky tonight, so I will have to call them on monday as I am not happy with the gap. I ordered the part number 58136 which has 58131 and 59131 front and rear mudflaps for the 2019 RAM 1500 new body style w/ flares. Can someone tell me if I did in fact order the wrong ones. Is there a difference in rebel fender flare thickness as opposed to the Limited ones? Both Mopar and Husky mud flaps are not fitting correctly.

Attachments

• 5F390202-525C-4AF2-BC47-6BA5DE3D02AC_1_201_a.jpeg
    5F390202-525C-4AF2-BC47-6BA5DE3D02AC_1_201_a.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 234
  • 3B6E4812-5ADE-468E-9F68-4BD07FA5BF02_1_201_a.jpeg
    3B6E4812-5ADE-468E-9F68-4BD07FA5BF02_1_201_a.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 232

Wtray

Reaction score
Just attempted install of Husky Mudflaps as I am removing my Mopar ones; however, I am surprised at the gap between the flare and the edge of the mudflap. Of course it is too late to talk to anyone at Husky tonight, so I will have to call them on monday as I am not happy with the gap. I ordered the part number 58136 which has 58131 and 59131 front and rear mudflaps for the 2019 RAM 1500 new body style w/ flares. Can someone tell me if I did in fact order the wrong ones. Is there a difference in rebel fender flare thickness as opposed to the Limited ones? Both Mopar and Husky mud flaps are not fitting correctly.
Update to my post. Just went to my local dealer to measure the thickness of the fender flares on one of their limited trucks on the lot. Found one that was same color as mine. My fender flares are about 3/8ths of an inch thick while the one on the lot was 5/8ths of an inch. The 1/4 inch difference is what I have with the gap issue in both the Mopar and Husky mudflap. I have to go back and talk to the parts manager and their warranty people on Monday to see if I can get a proper set of flares on the truck.

Rayzram

Reaction score
Mopar are junk. Mine are full or road debris. I will post pictures. At highway speeds the tire will "siphon" small rocks and debri and sounds like a fully auto bbgun at times with sand and tiny rocks hitting that are sucked up out of them.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mopar are junk. Mine are full or road debris. I will post pictures. At highway speeds the tire will "siphon" small rocks and debri and sounds like a fully auto bbgun at times with sand and tiny rocks hitting that are sucked up out of them.
Just curious, what style of tire and on what kind of roads are you driving. I have the Mopar flaps with about 11000 miles on them. I have checked them a few times to see if they are collecting stuff as others have noted. So far, nothing. However, I have the OEM Goodyear, non-aggressive tread tires and have not driven on any dirt or gravel roads. For my purposes, they are acceptable. The slots in the bottom are plenty large to allow hosing out. I agree with others, in that for me, I like the appearance better than the Weathertech or other brands, but I also agree that they are not for everyone. I am surprised that you are so angry about the ones you have, since they were probably an aftermarket purchase. Weren't you aware of the limitations when you bought them?

Rayzram

Reaction score
Just curious, what style of tire and on what kind of roads are you driving. I have the Mopar flaps with about 11000 miles on them. I have checked them a few times to see if they are collecting stuff as others have noted. So far, nothing. However, I have the OEM Goodyear, non-aggressive tread tires and have not driven on any dirt or gravel roads. For my purposes, they are acceptable. The slots in the bottom are plenty large to allow hosing out. I agree with others, in that for me, I like the appearance better than the Weathertech or other brands, but I also agree that they are not for everyone. I am surprised that you are so angry about the ones you have, since they were probably an aftermarket purchase. Weren't you aware of the limitations when you bought them?
They are factory right from the Dealer OEM Mopar. They do not have a drain at all in them. I drive only on highway. We use cinders on our highways in the winter in Missouri. These tiny rocks and dirt fill them to the top in no time. It literally is like cement in the open cavity. I have fought them since I bought the truck new. They are full right now again after only a few times driving with cinder treatment on our paved highways. Factory street tread Bridgestone tires. As far limitations, what limitations should a person expect when you go to the dealer, order factory stuff and drive ONLY on paved roads 100% of the time??? I bought my truck late 2018 and put them on when it was new. I had to wait 2 weeks to even get them because they were a new accessory item. I have ALWAYS installed OEM accessories because I want the best, but in this case they were not the best option. Find old post from 2018 talking about this....when I bought them none of these post even existed.

Last edited:

Rayzram

Reaction score
I purchased mine from dealership parts department in August 2018, right after buying my truck. Nice big slots in bottom for draining, obviously different from what you have. If you still have them, try cutting some slots. Will not work for all rocks but some maybe.
Mine came from Poage CDJR in Sept 2018 in Hannibal, Mo...., came in clear sealed bags with Mopar all over them. Took 2 weeks to get them, and took another 2 for the Factory color match full interior rubber all weather mats to arrive. I always will spend more to protect my vehicles and have always had awesome luck with OEM products. I am an auto tech, and have been for 29 years. I can assure you my truck will go 20 miles out of the way before it goes on 1 mile of gravel. This is nothing more then normal driving on paved highways in Missouri. They do not have any slots in the bottom of them either I assure you. I am tempted to drill some large holes in them. I even asked the dealership if they had any experience with how to combat this issue and was told its the nature of them in our area, just to do my best to keep them flushed out. I seen photos of folks here who have cut really large slots with same results, but I will add some drains and see how it works.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine came from Poage CDJR in Sept 2018 in Hannibal, Mo...., came in clear sealed bags with Mopar all over them. Took 2 weeks to get them, and took another 2 for the Factory color match full interior rubber all weather mats to arrive. I always will spend more to protect my vehicles and have always had awesome luck with OEM products. I am an auto tech, and have been for 29 years. I can assure you my truck will go 20 miles out of the way before it goes on 1 mile of gravel. This is nothing more then normal driving on paved highways in Missouri. They do not have any slots in the bottom of them either I assure you. I am tempted to drill some large holes in them. I even asked the dealership if they had any experience with how to combat this issue and was told its the nature of them in our area, just to do my best to keep them flushed out. I seen photos of folks here who have cut really large slots with same results, but I will add some drains and see how it works.
Easy there pardner, just trying to be helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread