5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar LED Bed Lights Install?

JRD

Reaction score
Got this done on my 2020 Bighorn 1500. Thanks to everyone that shared their knowledge. It really made this easy. The jumper wires suggested worked perfect. Programed with Alfa all is good.
I wish I could use jumper wires for mine 😢

Driver

Reaction score
No programing is needed.
No harnesses needed.
No switch is needed.

You can use any 12v led light, not just mopar.

All you need to do is identify the wire that supplies power to the cargo light.
It is accessed through a removable panel in the left rear floor. It's in a large bundle of wires running front to back.

Don't recall the color. Some say its white with tan tracer. You can pull your cargo light to verify.

The other beauty of this approach is NO switch needed, as they'll automatically turn on and off with the tailgate!

Easy peasy

ZLamb98

Reaction score
Recently, I‘ve looked into this more than I care to admit. Deciding between OEM bed lights, aftermarket, or some combo. I’ve read many comments here that the OEM lights are not very bright and others that aftermarket led strips are too bright. All subjective I guess.

To answer your question, there is a connector in the rear that should have the upstream wiring for the bed lights. With the kit you might be able to pin the connecting connector here instead of running up front; assuming terminals are the same size. You‘d have a lot of excess wire to deal with. Or if you don‘t care about wire taps / keeping totally OEM / it being reversible, you could tap the upstream wires.

Here is a description of connector and pin locations.

As an alternative to the Mopar kit, you can buy the bed Lights and required harnesses separately for roughly the same $ as the kit. This would be truly PLUG and play; no pinning/tapping required. Would still need to program. Harnesses required depends on model year and options. Attached are the part numbers needed for 2021 without Rambox, in case that’s your situation.

I ended up doing OEM lights. Bought the left light and left harness. I found the one light alone to be bright enough and went ahead and bought the right one. Made my own right harness with some spare wire and tapped into the left light wiring. They function same as OEM (light switch included) and if I ever want/need to remove, I can take out lights and put old harness back and it’s factory again.

There are tons of threads here that describe options if you don’t care about altering factory wiring or OEM functionality.
I know this is an old thread, but the 2019 ram has a different part # for the jumper harness which is backordered. But I'm pretty sure the trucks have the same part # on the tail lights and the bed lights. Is there a way to verify if i could use the 2021 harness or not?

_Vito_

Reaction score
I purchased the two lights and two jumper harnesses and it was a very quick and easy install.

I used the following for programming, and it worked flawlessly:

Foseal WiFi OBD2 dongle
VXSCAN FCA 12+8 Cable Adapter from Amazon (red and black)
AlphaOBD for PC

One note: I accidentally clicked one light in before I put my bed rug in and it was very difficult to get the light back out. I ended up bending the snap that holds it in, backwards and cracked the clear lense a little around the edges. Also, the lights dont really click into place with the bed rug due to the added thickness but there is enough friction in my opinion holding them in place. I am very happy with the install and everything works as if it were factory installed.

Thanks to all who posted part numbers and installation information!
So those two harnesses and the lights and it all worked? Do you have all 4 part numbers i would need. I have a 24 Laramie and I’m seeing all different part numbers on here and don’t wanna order the wrong ones

Users who are viewing this thread