5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar LED Bed Lights Install?

Murphy5156

Reaction score
Maybe a hour and i was taking my time drinking coffee : )

Nice! My last part arrives from BAM on Monday and I’m hoping I can install it all without too much trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frisby5

Reaction score
Nice! My last part arrives from BAM on Monday and I’m hoping I can install it all without too much trouble.

Its easy just take the spare out and set aside . Hardest part was undoing the connectors .

lapoolboy

Reaction score
I did it in less than 15 minutes. No need to even drop the spare - just reach up over it. No big deal.

Murphy5156

Reaction score
Update #3

The remaining parts from BAM arrived yesterday, and today I installed everything. THANK YOU to all of the great people on this thread for making this job a lot easier. I disconnected the negative battery cable and the battery sensor prior to install. I also dropped the spare tire. I didn't fully remove it, just lowered it until it was on the ground. As per the advice of 22Ram1500InAR I did the driver's side first. Actually, first I removed the dummy plates from both bed light holes and snapped the new lights in. Then I crawled under the truck and disconnected the original driver's side harness and connected the new one from BAM. Then connected the driver's side bed light harness to that harness. Driver's side done. I love that all the new harnesses have the christmas tree style clips already installed and in the correct spots, it makes it so easy to keep the harnesses neat and looking factory.

I then went over and did the same on the passenger side. The only thing that took me some time on this side was there's a christmas tree clip on top of one of the truck's structural members and it took me a few minutes to be able to get it out since you can't see what you're doing and going by feel for the most part.

Once everything was connected I raised the spare tire back up, and reconnected the battery. I had heard people having issues with a lot of things not working after reconnecting the battery but everything seems fine with mine. If you are missing things upon reconnect just wait a few hours and everything should come back on it's own.

I know the new lights "work" because if I push the switch on the driver's side bed light it turns on the cargo lights on either side of the 3rd brake light, but the bed lights themselves don't work until I get the dealer to re-program the computer to recognize them. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to pay them to do the programming for me.

All in all this was a MUCH easier job than I expected. I'm very happy a couple of you here talked me out of paying the dealer over $800 to install these lights. Thanks again everyone!

Murphy5156

Reaction score
Final Update:

I dropped by my dealer this AM to have them flash the BCM to enable the new bed lights. The first two service reps I spoke to didn't seem to have any idea what I was asking to have done, so I actually had to tell one of them what to put on the service request paperwork ("add Sales Code to BCM to activate new bed lights). I didn't have an appointment so it took a couple of hours for them to get it done. They raked me over the coals on the cost....charging me an hour's labor for something that I'm guessing couldn't have taken more than 20 minutes if that?

Regardless, I'm happy to say the lights function great now and all is well. The only "issue" they found at the dealership was the BCM throwing a code that stated something along the lines of, "current BCM codes for open circuit on left and right tail lamps". I'm not sure if that was before they activated the new bed light or after, but everything works fine and there's no check engine lights or anything. Maybe this code gets thrown when you swap out the harnesses? Not sure if anyone else had this same issue but I don't recall anyone here mentioning it before. I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks again to all the great folks on this thread!

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Final Update:

I dropped by my dealer this AM to have them flash the BCM to enable the new bed lights. The first two service reps I spoke to didn't seem to have any idea what I was asking to have done, so I actually had to tell one of them what to put on the service request paperwork ("add Sales Code to BCM to activate new bed lights). I didn't have an appointment so it took a couple of hours for them to get it done. They raked me over the coals on the cost....charging me an hour's labor for something that I'm guessing couldn't have taken more than 20 minutes if that?

Regardless, I'm happy to say the lights function great now and all is well. The only "issue" they found at the dealership was the BCM throwing a code that stated something along the lines of, "current BCM codes for open circuit on left and right tail lamps". I'm not sure if that was before they activated the new bed light or after, but everything works fine and there's no check engine lights or anything. Maybe this code gets thrown when you swap out the harnesses? Not sure if anyone else had this same issue but I don't recall anyone here mentioning it before. I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks again to all the great folks on this thread!
Man, why didn't you just get set up with AlfaOBD and the hardware? Probably would have been still been cheaper and there's SO much other stuff you could do with it.

Murphy5156

Reaction score
Man, why didn't you just get set up with AlfaOBD and the hardware? Probably would have been still been cheaper and there's SO much other stuff you could do with it.

Believe me, I thought about going that route. I’m an Apple guy so I’d have had to buy an Android tablet, the AlfaOBD license, a security gateway bypass, and the Bluetooth OBD module. All of that would definitely have cost more than what the dealer charged, and I wasn’t sure how much other use I’d have gotten from it. Someday I might break down and get that equipment but for this I decided to go through the dealership.

ER.Nurse

Reaction score
I got my parts from BAM earlier this week. The left lamp is what I’m waiting on as it was out of stock. Should be here next week. I was confused with the giant red plug on the driver side but after crawling under the truck today it makes sense. When adding passive entry I had to a pin the other rear harness to add the rear receiver. But i see where it goes now. Looking forward to next week and adding the bed lights. Thanks for all the info and the programming info. Much easier and cleaner than the mopar kit.

mainjet

Reaction score
I got my parts from BAM earlier this week. The left lamp is what I’m waiting on as it was out of stock. Should be here next week. I was confused with the giant red plug on the driver side but after crawling under the truck today it makes sense. When adding passive entry I had to a pin the other rear harness to add the rear receiver. But i see where it goes now. Looking forward to next week and adding the bed lights. Thanks for all the info and the programming info. Much easier and cleaner than the mopar kit.
You may already know this but for that connector be sure to slide that red lock all the way out. It pulls out a lot and if you look at your new harness connection you will see how it releases. If the connector doesn’t come apart pretty easily then the red lock is probably not pulled out enough.

I can’t remember exactly. It I want to say that the lock slides out like an inch or more before it unlocks.

ER.Nurse

Reaction score
You may already know this but for that connector be sure to slide that red lock all the way out. It pulls out a lot and if you look at your new harness connection you will see how it releases. If the connector doesn’t come apart pretty easily then the red lock is probably not pulled out enough.

I can’t remember exactly. It I want to say that the lock slides out like an inch or more before it unlocks.

I had this issue with the red tab last week. I replaced my halogen tail lights with LED and the red tab came out about 1/2” and I pulled and pulled and pulled. Eventually I saw the red tab had to come out even further to unlock. Thanks

DusterJoe

Reaction score
I just ordered the parts from BAM to complete this upgrade. Hopefully I'll have the AlfaODB stuff prior to install. I'm looking for a cheap samsumg tablet or phone to use only for this as I'm an Apple guy...

DusterJoe

DusterJoe

Reaction score
Got my parts from BAM but was sent 2 right side lights and no left. Waiting for this to be corrected.

Also bought the alfaobd stuff but can’t find a cheap android device.

Attachments

• IMG_1247.jpeg
    IMG_1247.jpeg
    188.9 KB · Views: 88

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got my parts from BAM but was sent 2 right side lights and no left. Waiting for this to be corrected.

Any old cheap non Ipad tablet. I don't see any minimum requirements, so something like this may even work.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Had that happen with Mopar same side floor mats. Dealership made good.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
I have had a couple of guys DM me asking for pics of my "factory harness" installation and how they connect. Here are pics as best as I could capture. Let me know if there are questions.
I wanted to give a big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I just installed these this morning following everyone's directions carefully. In case anyone is hesitant, just do it. I'm no super mechanic by any means, but I did the whole thing in 20 minutes. I didn't bother to drop the spare, I just reached up over and felt my way along the the frame to put the holders in place.

DOMi

Reaction score
Long time lurker here... Been reading up on this thread for a while and finally bit the bullet on this project. And as such, I thought I would share my results for this install.

First, I talked to my local stealership and they quoted me $795 to "purchase" all the parts, including 2.5hrs of labor and to flash ECU.. Hard pass on that option. Went the BAM route, but through their Amazon store. Also picked up a bypass cable and ODBlink MX+ from Amazon as well. Had to buy AlfaODB for Android and decided to use an old Android tablet I got from a buddy. So total cost out of pocket came out to around $450... But considering it's potential for future projects, this was definitely the smartest path.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a lift, but I busted out the ramps, which worked great. I will say that trying to figure out the best route through the truck took a minute, and I thought I was going to loose a finger or two trying to get the plugs out and new wires placed. Why is there so much stamped/sharp metal behind the dash? I digress.

All in all, it took me about 3 hours, but I was really trying hard to make sure all the wires were tucked away safely and make the installation look as OEM as possible. I had to remove both wheel well liners and secondary mudflaps... Also decided to leave the wheels on. Totally a pain in the neck for me to get this done, but totally worth it.

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wish I stumbled on this thread sooner. I have the OEM Mopar bed light kit sitting in the garage, but I'd much rather swap the harnesses out like mentioned in this thread than run wires inside the cab and pin them in. The suggested method appears to be easier and creates a cleaner install. I'm looking do this upgrade soon, so I'll probably order everything needed to do it that way and then sell the kit that Mopar offers. If anyone is looking for the Mopar kit, I'll have one for sale soon.

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Wish I stumbled on this thread sooner. I have the OEM Mopar bed light kit sitting in the garage, but I'd much rather swap the harnesses out like mentioned in this thread than run wires inside the cab and pin them in. The suggested method appears to be easier and creates a cleaner install. I'm looking do this upgrade soon, so I'll probably order everything needed to do it that way and then sell the kit that Mopar offers. If anyone is looking for the Mopar kit, I'll have one for sale soon.
I totally agree. I didn’t use the kit. Replacing the harnesses was a snap, pun intended.

Users who are viewing this thread