5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar factory installed trifold soft tonneau cover

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to be silly, but how would you raise the cover if you can't drop the tailgate?!
I really don't know since I don't own a pickup with a bed cover. I have read several post about other aftermarket covers that require lifting the cover before closing the tailgate due to a seal interfering. Hence, the question.

grifodan67

Reaction score
Great info! I'm waiting on my truck. I'll be doing this first thing.

Question: Does the Factory Tri-Fold allow tailgate operation without raising the cover? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Thanks.

I think you are asking whether you need to raise the cover to close your tailgate and the answer is no. You can raise and lower the tailgate without having to lift the back of your cover.

Dan

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you are asking whether you need to raise the cover to close your tailgate and the answer is no. You can raise and lower the tailgate without having to lift the back of your cover.

Dan
Correct, sorry we got a bit silly there. It did seem self explanatory if you thought about it. It is a secure tonneau, as secure as any soft top that is.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct, sorry we got a bit silly there. It did seem self explanatory if you thought about it. It is a secure tonneau, as secure as any soft top that is.

Thanks guys. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

Wasn't sure how to word the question so it came across funny. Glad it was entertaining. :p

syddog 2000

Reaction score
FCA seems to have tried to save some money here. After doing some internet searching I found the previous version of this cover had metal clamp with an adjustable seat. which would allow for a more water tight seal. cost vs. profit

Muddshoot

Reaction score
note that you'll need to peel back the corner flap to remove a screw to take off the longer torx screw holding the corner together. It all starts to make sense as you go. Once you have both clamps moved to the rear section, don't tighten them, drop the cover and adjust the position of the clamps and then tighten.

If you need more help, let me know!

VanderRebel - new to the forum, and new to Ram trucks. Just purchased a 2019 Limited with the soft tri-fold cover, and am experiencing the same looseness of rear clamps - would like to move the rear clamps farther back closed to the tailgate. Can you elaborate a bit on peeling back the corner flap to remove a screw to take off the longer torx screw holding the corner together? Maybe a pic? Thanks in advance.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
20181003_171226.jpg
The piece in the corner that looks like a baseball diamond is the corner for the top cover and bottom weatherstrip. There are multiple fastneners in there. Sadly both corners need to be removed to move the clamps, after removing the forward midrail.
20181003_171045.jpg
Correct position after reassembly.
20181003_171056.jpg

Wolleworld

Reaction score
Does the 6'4" bed have the same issues? I ordered the 6'4" bed and was wondering if i will have to move the back clamp or if this is only for 5'7".

Last edited:

Wolleworld

Reaction score
VaderRebel gave some instructions and pictures in this thread to move the back clamp closer to tailgate for a tighter seal.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The other option is to tighten the clamps by adding a spacer on the rubber clamp heads so they squeeze a little harder. Thats what I did. I found some rubber material about 1/4" thick and cut some pieces that are the same size as the rubber contact surfaces on the clamps and attached them. My cover doesn't bounce or flop in the wind and the seal is now tight on the tailgate. The bed stays pretty dry in wet conditions.

Alternately, spacers could be glued to the underside of the rails where the clamps contact to do the same thing.

I bet VaderRebel's method is more effective but requires some disassembly to do.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The other option is to tighten the clamps by adding a spacer on the rubber clamp heads so they squeeze a little harder. Thats what I did. I found some rubber material about 1/4" thick and cut some pieces that are the same size as the rubber contact surfaces on the clamps and attached them. My cover doesn't bounce or flop in the wind and the seal is now tight on the tailgate. The bed stays pretty dry in wet conditions.

Alternately, spacers could be glued to the underside of the rails where the clamps contact to do the same thing.

I bet VaderRebel's method is more effective but requires some disassembly to do.
I remember you posting about this when you first did it. My only concern is that the clamps don't exactly inspire confidence in terms of their robustness. I presume you don't believe you'll overstress them over time with these small 'spacers'.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember you posting about this when you first did it. My only concern is that the clamps don't exactly inspire confidence in terms of their robustness. I presume you don't believe you'll overstress them over time with these small 'spacers'.
I thought about spacers too but worried about stressing the clamp like you mention. I envisioned added some material and it snapping when I clamped down on it.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only reason I tried spacers is because the clamps literally have slack and 1/4 inch doesn't make them hard to clamp. It just tightens them up some. Maybe that's just how mine where. If you can slide the cover around while clamped, they can be tightened a little.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only reason I tried spacers is because the clamps literally have slack and 1/4 inch doesn't make them hard to clamp. It just tightens them up some. Maybe that's just how mine where. If you can slide the cover around while clamped, they can be tightened a little.
Mine definitely slides around. I'll have to try the spacer thing because I cant seem to figure out how to move the clamp even with other posts explaining it. Not clicking in for some reason. Must be old age.

George Bednar

Reaction score
Crap, or crappy install? Some things, as we're all discovering, are not perfectly installed from factory, but that's what warranty protection is for.

I gave the soft trifold a 5 out of 10 because I initially thought it was a cheap, loose fitting cover. I was intrigued by the folding and quick release functionality of it.

Looking at it closely this morning and learning the mechanics of it, I've decided it was poor installation and not product quality that turned me off at delivery. My personal opinion is the factory is installing the lockdown handles too far away from the tailgate, causing water to penetrate and the rear of the cover to flap at highway speed.

So, out come the tools and you basically have to disassemble the rear 3rd section to move the tiedown handles to the other side of the support rail, closer to the tailgate. And viola, a nice, straight and snug fitting tonneau cover for ya! Equal to the Truxedo roll up, now that it fits tight.

Anyone wants a tool list or complete instructions and pics of finished fit, let me know.
Did it require any drilled holes?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You know, mine can slide around if I force it, but my clamps do not have slack. I was just thinking about this due to the new posts in this thread. So far, I've left it alone and really haven't noticed any issues. Then again, I'm not doing 90 in this beast. And after car washes, I've only noticed a bit of water near the tailgate...it seems to seal reasonably well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online