5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar factory installed trifold soft tonneau cover

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Crap, or crappy install? Some things, as we're all discovering, are not perfectly installed from factory, but that's what warranty protection is for.

I gave the soft trifold a 5 out of 10 because I initially thought it was a cheap, loose fitting cover. I was intrigued by the folding and quick release functionality of it.

Looking at it closely this morning and learning the mechanics of it, I've decided it was poor installation and not product quality that turned me off at delivery. My personal opinion is the factory is installing the lockdown handles too far away from the tailgate, causing water to penetrate and the rear of the cover to flap at highway speed.

So, out come the tools and you basically have to disassemble the rear 3rd section to move the tiedown handles to the other side of the support rail, closer to the tailgate. And viola, a nice, straight and snug fitting tonneau cover for ya! Equal to the Truxedo roll up, now that it fits tight.

Anyone wants a tool list or complete instructions and pics of finished fit, let me know.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Crap, or crappy install? Some things, as we're all discovering, are not perfectly installed from factory, but that's what warranty protection is for.

I gave the soft trifold a 5 out of 10 because I initially thought it was a cheap, loose fitting cover. I was intrigued by the folding and quick release functionality of it.

Looking at it closely this morning and learning the mechanics of it, I've decided it was poor installation and not product quality that turned me off at delivery. My personal opinion is the factory is installing the lockdown handles too far away from the tailgate, causing water to penetrate and the rear of the cover to flap at highway speed.

So, out come the tools and you basically have to disassemble the rear 3rd section to move the tiedown handles to the other side of the support rail, closer to the tailgate. And viola, a nice, straight and snug fitting tonneau cover for ya! Equal to the Truxedo roll up, now that it fits tight.

Anyone wants a tool list or complete instructions and pics of finished fit, let me know.
It'll be another month before I see my truck, but I know I'll want to do this!

Tlsuzi

Reaction score
Do we know who makes it, what OEM for the cover? any pictures?

Shabak

Reaction score
Vader Rebel although you’ve installed it. I tried the Bakflip MX4. Even with the shorter bed that I have. The installation was a snap 30 min max. Fit flush to bed for a smooth look. The best part it does not leak. Place the order from RealTruck.com (Zach) Still use Bakflip for customer service, they are awesome

ponypride

Reaction score
Vader Rebel although you’ve installed it. I tried the Bakflip MX4. Even with the shorter bed that I have. The installation was a snap 30 min max. Fit flush to bed for a smooth look. The best part it does not leak. Place the order from RealTruck.com (Zach) Still use Bakflip for customer service, they are awesome

ponypride

Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, how much did the MX4 cost you? Did it come with a tailgate seal?

ponypride

Reaction score
Whatt is the cheapest price you have received on an baKflip MX4 cover for a 5'7" bed?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

We had a good soaking of rain last night, luckily shortly after I moved the clamps over. There wasn't a drop until I opened the tailgate, and that bit of puddled morning moisture fell in.
I'm not a huge fan of rigid covers and the mopar soft trifold has a really nice arched support structure that gives you a little extra height in the middle... with a tonneau cover I'll take added storage any day, rigid, you lose space/height.

grifodan67

Reaction score

VadelRebel,
I would like the list. I have a question, was there any difference to opening and closing the tailgate with the clamps moved further back?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
VadelRebel,
I would like the list. I have a question, was there any difference to opening and closing the tailgate with the clamps moved further back?
No problem! Someone has to be the trailblazer! No, there is no difference in the function of tailgate at all. Just got back from the car wash... minimal drips, I assume from opening the tailgate again... no standing puddles at all.

So you could either use a ratchet or impact drill with a 10, 9 and8mm sockets and a couple of small torx bits ( * head) .

You'll start by removing the hinge assembly's closest to the tailgate and the rear corner guides, note that you'll need to peel back the corner flap to remove a screw to take off the longer torx screw holding the corner together. It all starts to make sense as you go. Once you have both clamps moved to the rear section, don't tighten them, drop the cover and adjust the position of the clamps and then tighten.

If you need more help, let me know!

grifodan67

Reaction score
No problem! Someone has to be the trailblazer! No, there is no difference in the function of tailgate at all. Just got back from the car wash... minimal drips, I assume from opening the tailgate again... no standing puddles at all.

So you could either use a ratchet or impact drill with a 10, 9 and8mm sockets and a couple of small torx bits ( * head) .

You'll start by removing the hinge assembly's closest to the tailgate and the rear corner guides, note that you'll need to peel back the corner flap to remove a screw to take off the longer torx screw holding the corner together. It all starts to make sense as you go. Once you have both clamps moved to the rear section, don't tighten them, drop the cover and adjust the position of the clamps and then tighten.

If you need more help, let me know!
Thanks for the info. I will give it a try as soon as the rain stops and everything dries up a little bit.

Dan

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just keep in mind, for every spot with a nut and bolt, there will likely be a screw somewhere in redundancy as per OEM stuff usually has. I think in total there will be 4 nuts and 3 screws per side, plus weather strip to manuver.

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
I’m probably gonna give this a shot tomorrow or Monday. The loose seal has bothered me since I left the dealership. I can literally see a gap on mine with everything closed. I attempted to move the latches once. But with no idea what I was getting myself into I stopped and tightened everything back up. Now that I see it’s possible I’ll have to give it another go.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You definitely have to take your time... moving all four will take more than a hour, if you're being careful.

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
I got it done yesterday, had some free time while my son napped. My front 2 were easy as they were already ahead of the cross bar. The rear ones were a little more time consuming. But definitely wasn’t too hard, just a little tedious.

Cover still seems to have a tiny gap at the rear, but it’s a million times better. So definitely appreciate the overview of how to do it.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think due to the fact that the clamps aren't metal, there will always be flex and minor gaps. Might be able to find some taller weather strip that'll fit for the rear at the tailgate... that's the only place that's slightly less tight on mine.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great info! I'm waiting on my truck. I'll be doing this first thing.

Question: Does the Factory Tri-Fold allow tailgate operation without raising the cover? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Thanks.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great info! I'm waiting on my truck. I'll be doing this first thing.

Question: Does the Factory Tri-Fold allow tailgate operation without raising the cover? I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Thanks.
Not to be silly, but how would you raise the cover if you can't drop the tailgate?!

Users who are viewing this thread