5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bug shield

Dan Houle

Reaction score
I bought this bug deflector (I believe it's Mopar), but I had my reservations with the little black plugs that attach to the hood. Not surprisingly, less than a few months later these plugs have started coming off. Anyone else have this happen? If so, what did you do? Aggravating, but my gut told me these wouldn't stay on......

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220801-191215_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801-191215_Gallery.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot_20220801-191211_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801-191211_Gallery.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 148

Amazing93

Reaction score
I used 3m molding/trim tape to secure the one that fell off my truck.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, pretty terrible design, especially for factory. 4 of mines popped off and left behind black, sticky residue which, on a white finish, is quite irritating, and all within the first year of owning it. Used Goo Gone to clean it, then used HD 3m double sided tape to remount them.
Have been contemplating replacing it with a different brand/design, just havent pulled the trigger yet. Like the matte black finish, just not the design.

Dan Houle

Reaction score
Yeah, I love the look. Gonna take it off & clean the goo off & figure another way. I was even contemplating doing away with the plugs & wrapping the 4 or 5 inches the deflector uses. Thanks for the replies.

GARebel19

Reaction score
Last edited:

Dan Houle

Reaction score
I asked this before as well and another member pointed me to these on Amazon. They come with plenty extra. Not really a long term solution like you are looking for but I just replace them when they fall off.

I'm actually having an issue with one of the clear paint protectors under the hood clips peeling up. Anyone know where I can get more of those?
That’s cool, I never thought of that. Thanks man.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
I have a different brand bug shield and I attached the rubber bumpers to the back of the shield rather than on the surface of my truck.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, definitely apply to the under side of the shield instead of the hood. My last Ram lasted 58k without falling off & so far 21k into the new shield on the newer Ram. Sometimes they come off when I’m waxing if I’m being careless & they stick right back on to the under side without trouble. GARebel19 is right - clean as possible will always improve adhesion & help it last longer.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I asked this before as well and another member pointed me to these on Amazon. They come with plenty extra. Not really a long term solution like you are looking for but I just replace them when they fall off.

I'm actually having an issue with one of the clear paint protectors under the hood clips peeling up. Anyone know where I can get more of those?

Good suggestion!

The clear strips are just like clear paint protection film. You can contact Lamin-X & get custom width sizes made in some pretty short lengths. That’s where I got mine for the rear Air Design spoiler. I didn’t want the 3m tape to make contact with the paint this time.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would probably get 1” wide x how ever many feet long you want for future use. They have specials a lot so maybe sign up on their website first. They’ll usually give 20-25% off & if I remember correctly they do free shipping from time to time - Labor Day coming up might be one of those times.

Vlad1996

Reaction score
Yep, definitely apply to the under side of the shield instead of the hood. My last Ram lasted 58k without falling off & so far 21k into the new shield on the newer Ram. Sometimes they come off when I’m waxing if I’m being careless & they stick right back on to the under side without trouble. GARebel19 is right - clean as possible will always improve adhesion & help it last longer.
That is awesome idea - I wish I read it before installing mine :)

Vlad1996

Reaction score
I pushed them in a bit harder and they pressed in by bug deflector, hopefully they will stay in place :)
I wish I read Bpebler's suggestion thoughbefore installing - great suggestion!

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here really - I had them installed onto the hood of my last Ram before I read it on here somewhere to stick them on the backside of the shield. The designers could have figured that out & make it easy on all of us though! 🤪

GARebel19

Reaction score
IIRC the directions for the mopar shield said to stick the bumpers on the shield. I put them on the hood because I read on here that the bumpers continuously bouncing on the paint could cause damage to it. Not sure if anyone has actually experienced this.

Dan Houle

Reaction score
Good suggestion!

The clear strips are just like clear paint protection film. You can contact Lamin-X & get custom width sizes made in some pretty short lengths. That’s where I got mine for the rear Air Design spoiler. I didn’t want the 3m tape to make contact with the paint this time.
Hey bro, I finally got around to redoing my shield, I got the Lamin X off Amazon like you suggested, worked great. Thanks.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a different manufacturer like a bug shield from weather tech?

Users who are viewing this thread