5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bug shield/wind deflector

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thoughts on the Mopar vs AVS?
I have the matte black OEM deflector being delivered tomorrow and I’ll likely do the install next Saturday after I have the truck clay barred and waxed.

One of our fellow forum members had the OEM deflector but he had second thoughts, primarily because the metal brackets are pressing on the hood, so he has swapped it out with the Weathertech deflector.

For now, I intend to stay with the OEM deflector, as I think the lines, contours, and overall look of the OEM deflector is the best. And I’m assuming there is something that goes between the metal brackets and the hood that’s supposed to protect the paint?

Any thoughts from those who have installed the OEM deflector would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The PPF shipped with the OEM unit is very thick, make sure you mark the location for its application.

I have removed my deflector to clean the hood and the PPF shows no sign of fatigue at all.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The PPF shipped with the OEM unit is very thick, make sure you mark the location for its application.

I have removed my deflector to clean the hood and the PPF shows no sign of fatigue at all.

Thanks, Goatmann. I’m probably gonna stick with the OEM deflector once I get it installed. I think it’s the best looking one I’ve seen.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, Goatmann. I’m probably gonna stick with the OEM deflector once I get it installed. I think it’s the best looking one I’ve seen.

I’m in the same boat. I think the OEM lines look the best but still worry about the clips. Wish it attaches like the AVS or wish the AVS has the OEM lines.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
That looks good on his truck and it appears to be quality unlike the AVS I had that’s sitting here on my garage with 1/2 the hardware and instructions for a 1999 Explorer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That looks good on his truck and it appears to be quality unlike the AVS I had that’s sitting here on my garage with 1/2 the hardware and instructions for a 1999 Explorer

My matte black OEM deflector was delivered today. Getting the truck clay barred, sealed, and waxed on Friday and plan on installing the deflector on Saturday. His installation video was helpful.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
My matte black OEM deflector was delivered today. Getting the truck clay barred, sealed, and waxed on Friday and plan on installing the deflector on Saturday. His installation video was helpful.

I agree. Smart on the clay bar. I wouldn’t mind getting mine coated before I do anything like this.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree. Smart on the clay bar. I wouldn’t mind getting mine coated before I do anything like this.

Trucks only a few months old. I’ve got covered parking at work and a garage at the house. So wanted to start her out with a good clean and sealed finish. Hopefully, she’ll hold up well both inside and out.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trucks only a few months old. I’ve got covered parking at work and a garage at the house. So wanted to start her out with a good clean and sealed finish. Hopefully, she’ll hold up well both inside and out.

I need to do that too and reluctantly spend money on some PPF. I already have a few small rock chips and one decent one on my Black Painted Sport Bumper. This is the first truck I've ever owned with painted bumpers instead of Chrome. Love the look but hate the chips.

Ggcnash

Reaction score
I think it looks better color matched, here is a guy that took OEM black then had it painted, hard to even tell it's there at certain angles, this is my plan

FOODGOD1

Reaction score
My first mistake was ordering from a mopar dealer online. Only thing in the box was the deflector. Gah! If one of you happens to have the parts list that's supposed to be included that would be awesome. Also, there were no standard mopar instructions. If anyone has the instructions, could you post them please. I can turn a wrench, but I like to go by the book. Appreciate the group!

deanfx

Reaction score
Does this deflector make my butt look big?

Normond

Reaction score
I purchased the MOPAR black deflector for my 2019 Ram 1500 (new style, not classic). My question before I start this install is, on page 2, step 3 of the instructions it shows how to place the abrasion resistant tapes over the facia lip. Does ths tape go on the surface of the hood at all. I am worried about it damaging the paint over time. Or is it all on the facia edge ? I watched a video on youtube that shows the install but it was not real clear on that one point. Pictures later when I get it on. Waiting on a friend that is better at this than me.

Users who are viewing this thread