5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bug shield/wind deflector

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased the MOPAR black deflector for my 2019 Ram 1500 (new style, not classic). My question before I start this install is, on page 2, step 3 of the instructions it shows how to place the abrasion resistant tapes over the facia lip. Does ths tape go on the surface of the hood at all. I am worried about it damaging the paint over time. Or is it all on the facia edge ? I watched a video on youtube that shows the install but it was not real clear on that one point. Pictures later when I get it on. Waiting on a friend that is better at this than me.
The tape supplied with the deflector is really paint protection film which should not harm the paint even over a long period of time. The tape goes directly onto the hood and then the clips go onto the tape. Its a pain to get the clips on so take your time.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased the MOPAR black deflector for my 2019 Ram 1500 (new style, not classic). My question before I start this install is, on page 2, step 3 of the instructions it shows how to place the abrasion resistant tapes over the facia lip. Does ths tape go on the surface of the hood at all. I am worried about it damaging the paint over time. Or is it all on the facia edge ? I watched a video on youtube that shows the install but it was not real clear on that one point. Pictures later when I get it on. Waiting on a friend that is better at this than me.
Not sure what the facia lip is. I put about 1/4 to a 1/3 of the tape underneath and let the remainder lay on top of the hood where the clips install. Without that protective covering, the clips can scratch the paint. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Deflector 2.jpg
    Deflector 2.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Deflector.jpg
    Deflector.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 78

Normond

Reaction score
The tape supplied with the deflector is really paint protection film which should not harm the paint even over a long period of time. The tape goes directly onto the hood and then the clips go onto the tape. Its a pain to get the clips on so take your time.
Thanks ... I intend on keeping the truck for 5 to 10 years and want to keep the hood in good condition.

Normond

Reaction score
Not sure what the facia lip is. I put about 1/4 to a 1/3 of the tape underneath and let the remainder lay on top of the hood where the clips install. Without that protective covering, the clips can scratch the paint. Hope this helps.
OK.. I didn't know if that tape actually stuck to the hood ... Thanks...

Normond

Reaction score
First, thanks to people who contributed to helping with posting tips for installing my OEM Mopar Black Matte wind deflector on my 2019 Ram 1500 (new style). I watched the youtube video 3 times and had it handy on my phone while doing the install. My thoughts during this were:
1. I used a grease pencil instead of a pen to mark where the clip holes were but could not see it on the rubber strip so I marked it on the hood (came off easy later). I put the deflector on at the beginning to make sure which clip holes were what I would be popping out.
2. I used gloves to put the adhesive clear pads on but it was tricky because it wanted to stick to the glove, but I did it. I also errored on where the end clips were going to be located and had to pull the adhesive off (started from the underside) and relocate them. I did this just after I put the four inside screws on loosely to make sure of the alignment on the sides.
3. The end clips were really tight, like it shows in the video. I put them on a bench and very carefully, tapped the end of a phillips screwdriver in the gap to widen it. Just a very little and tested it so I didn't go to far. The clip pushed on fine with plenty of tension still on it.
4. Like normal for me, I missed the part to take off the yellow stickers for the rubber bumper pads and put them on after I was done with the clips on top of the yellow tape. They just don't look like they will stay on for a long time, so I put a piece of wax paper about 12" square under where it goes and put some silicone adhesive on to replace the adhesive. I didn't want any of the glue to drip on the hood. Just make sure you get them in the right locations. I did a small mark with the grease pencil on the deflector but should have put it on the hood because that comes off easy. I still have to get the mark off the deflector (not as easy)
5. TAKE YOUR TIME. My advantage was my wife was out of town and I had no interruptions .
Pictures attached and I scanned the four pages of instructions as a pdf file so anyone thinking about can see what they are getting in to. The local dealership estimated about $90 to install it. I had to buy a pry tool at Harbor Freight for about $8 but that was a lot cheaper.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Ram.wind.hood.deflector.install.instructions.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Soulkeeper

Reaction score
The thread is old, but hoping folks are still watching.

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn and originally picked up the Weathertech hood guard seen here.

hood.png

However, the retainer clips were missing. From what I've seen others post elsewhere, they are all very flimsy plastic and people talk about replacing them. But I have no reference to the size of the original retainers, and have yet to walk out and try to measure the holes to find a random fit. It takes 6, and my local auto store has Dorman Hood Retainers (and other random assortments),

This is what they should have looked like

clips.png

So the basic question is, has anyone needed to replace the normal retainer clips on the rubber seal underside of a Ram 1500, and if so, suggestions?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the basic question is, has anyone needed to replace the normal retainer clips on the rubber seal underside of a Ram 1500, and if so, suggestions?
Why not just call Weathertech. That clip/bumper bag looks exactly like what my Stampede protector used for installation. I never installed the bumpers.

ram-stampede1-August 26, 2020-29crop.jpg

Soulkeeper

Reaction score
So I ended up taking it up to my local store and we played around with various retainers, and found some that fit really well. My bigger concern wasn't that they were missing, but so many folks claimed they were poor connectors. That trucks looks really nice! the pic isn't as good but...

2020-09-19 15.20.04.jpg

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the tabs which are part of the deflector, into which you insert the clips, actually sit flush to the underneath of the hood? Mine do not but the installation is rick solid.

Soulkeeper

Reaction score
Did the tabs which are part of the deflector, into which you insert the clips, actually sit flush to the underneath of the hood? Mine do not but the installation is rick solid.

I wish I had taken more pictures. Yes they do, or darn near close.

(I know you didn't ask all this, but for anyone else who finds the thread)

I removed ALL the original connector clips from the hood weather strip, left and right side, all the way to the center 6. Those 6 sat no where near a deflector tab, so I left the weather strip dangling like a good old fu manchu. The deflector only had 6 holes, but I had to replace perhaps ~10 connectors. I then lined the deflector up and connected the far left and right tab, laying the weather strip on the outside. After that I simply connected them going left/right each time until I met in the center. Last, I carefully flipped the center of the deflector lip under the small section of weather strip I did not originally remove and was done.

I used something almost exactly like this. I took a measurement of the hole diameter and depth and bought connectors that were snug. All seemed to be a bit too long, so I clipped off the tip of the connector at the blue line and then each snapped in.

12-151.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread