5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mopar bed light kit installation

lapoolboy

Reaction score
I bought the Mopar bed light kit for my Lonestar. The instructions have you run the wires to the front and into the cab by cutting a rubber grommet and adding the wires to the plug at the BCM. I had the wires at my rear X670 plug so I shortened the Mopar harness and added new terminals and plugged it into the plug. Then I used AlfaOBD to program it.
Can you elaborate on how to determine if I have the wires at the rear X670 plug? Which wires am I looking for? I've read that I can order just the two lights themselves and the two short harnesses instead of the complete kit
...I'm trying to make this as simple as possible.

Of course, the LineX guys sprayed over the blank plugs where the lights go, so I'll have to figure out how to cleanly get them out while still allowing the lights to clip in.

GMetal

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on how to determine if I have the wires at the rear X670 plug? Which wires am I looking for? I've read that I can order just the two lights themselves and the two short harnesses instead of the complete kit
...I'm trying to make this as simple as possible.

Of course, the LineX guys sprayed over the blank plugs where the lights go, so I'll have to figure out how to cleanly get them out while still allowing the lights to clip in.
Just buy the Mopar kit. If you want to do it like mine look at the connector for pins Mopar Connection Repair Kit look up X670 pins 6 and 11. look at my previous posts if you want the terminal part numbers. Or you can tap into the wires but you risk corrosion. Or hook it up like the Mopar kit shows under the dash at the BCM

lapoolboy

Reaction score
I just ordered the two lights individually along with the two wire harnesses to replace under the bed to simplify the installation process.

In preparation while waiting on parts, I have to cut out the plastic light blank hole covers (the LineX guy shot over them). Thankfully, the material isn't very thick over them so I can see the perfect outlines of the covers. I'm going to cut around them with a razor blade and pluck them out of there.

My question is....are the Mopar lights the same size & shape as these covers? Or will I be able to see paint around them? My truck is white so it would be very noticeable. I know they probably wouldn't clip into place fully anyway if the LineX was applied right up to the edge of the holes, so in a way, I'm glad they left the covers in place when they sprayed.

nbase

Reaction score
I just ordered the two lights individually along with the two wire harnesses to replace under the bed to simplify the installation process.

In preparation while waiting on parts, I have to cut out the plastic light blank hole covers (the LineX guy shot over them). Thankfully, the material isn't very thick over them so I can see the perfect outlines of the covers. I'm going to cut around them with a razor blade and pluck them out of there.

My question is....are the Mopar lights the same size & shape as these covers? Or will I be able to see paint around them? My truck is white so it would be very noticeable. I know they probably wouldn't clip into place fully anyway if the LineX was applied right up to the edge of the holes, so in a way, I'm glad they left the covers in place when they sprayed.
When I had my Rhino Liner sprayed in, they sprayed right over the plastic covers, went around them with a razor knife, popped them out, and here is the new light in the hole, can see a tiny bit of paint on the bottom only for some reason. IMG_2606.jpg

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Man, thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for!

I can live with the tiny bit of visible paint on the bottom if mine end up the same way. I can always hit it with a shot of black spraypaint if it bothers me too much.

Did you have to cut all the way through the Rhino Liner or were you able to just score it and "tear" the covers out?

nbase

Reaction score

I can live with the tiny bit of visible paint on the bottom if mine end up the same way. I can always hit it with a shot of black spraypaint if it bothers me too much.

Did you have to cut all the way through the Rhino Liner or were you able to just score it and "tear" the covers out?
I cut all the way thru, I was worried about it peeling back if I didn't. I didn't press crazy hard, didn't really want to dig in to the metal.

wacopolumbo

Reaction score

I did the same and scored the liner. Rather than prying them out from the front side, I pushed them from the back and the liner broke cleanly along the score line. You can reach them from behind if you remove the tail lights.

Okie22

Reaction score
So my 22 didn’t have the tailgate ajar switch/latch. I installed a new wiring jumper harness in the tailgate Mopar 68311435AD and a new latch/switch 68312079AM on the right side and programmed it in Alfa and everything works. Bed lights come on automatically when tailgate opens and indicator shows on cluster as well as the automation if you put the truck in gear with the tailgate open
I'm learning tons on this forum...

Question about the new latch/switch...is this the p/n that would enable remote opening as well?

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Yes as long as you get a fob with the button for tailgate on it, it will work once programmed

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Alfa won’t do it. Dealer or locksmith will. I actually have a key programmer so I was able to do my own

kkniskern

Reaction score
It be nice if they would come on with the tailgate opening… it would also be nice if there was a puddle light build in the handle like some of the competition has…..I wonder, short of that, if it would be possible to maybe get one of those Enhanced reverse light license place light bars to wire in, so all of that would come on with opening the tailgate/unlock doors/etc?

Since we only rewired the BCM with 2 wires, I presume one of them is the signal wire from the button, and the other one is the power to the lights, turned on as needed/decided by the BCM? Wonder if the BCM would notice/disagree with the extra amp draw?… I guess I could always relay it in… be a good time to put in some more”under the rail” LED’s to light things up a bit more….
I added some puddle lights along the bottom and sides of my 1500 and attached to the courtesy lights via relay... love having the extra light.

Attachments

• IMG_1667.jpeg
    IMG_1667.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0919.jpeg
    IMG_0919.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 32

Shiloh3245

Reaction score
Well, good news/bad news…. Good news was that my 21 had the tailgate switch already installed, and only needed to activate in AlfaOBD…… works as described…. bad news is that I ordered parts without checking that, and now have and extra switch and harness…….shoot me a PM if anyone needs a set….
Pete
Hey guys, hope that all is well. Is there a way of getting around buy a new fob with the tailgate release button? Also, if I get these changes made in Alpha, is there a way for me to test whether the function works prior to buying new fobs if buying new fobs is required?

Thanks in advance for your response.

dome420

Reaction score
Looking to do this mod as well. Thanks for all the posts explaining this. Looks pretty straightforward

Users who are viewing this thread