5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Months of browsing for this....issues posted by Gen5 forum users

heydre

Reaction score
Thought I'd contribute since so many have helped in their own ways. I'm posting MY notes on "issues" noted by owners and their (attempted fixes). I've tried to refer back to relevant posts to make sure I gleaned the correct info so post if I'm wrong. Otherwise use with that in mind and you'll still have to search to find the posts/TSBs as I did not link the posts related to my notes....

QUESTIONS/ISSUES (FCA/dealer has to flag/list your VIN to be eligible for update fixes)​
NOISES/SMELLS
  • Humming/drone noise upon deceleration/letting off gas> (MDS, update/unplug ANC, roll down windows, TSB 08-033-19)
  • Vibration/lugging/pulsating at low 1200-1900 RPMs at 20-30-40-50mph> (turn off/Tow-haul mode/update PCM-TCM-DTCM)
  • Cabin/whistle noise from unsealed gaps in vents/firewall/mirrors> (tape off gaps, find/seal holes in passenger box)
  • Rattling rear window> (fill in channel)
  • Squeaks/rattles/ticks in upper/lower console, headliner, doors, and speakers> (silicone, graphite spray, tie downs, foam/cloth tape)
  • Radiator shroud/assembly> (causes weed/skunk smell in cabin)

AUDIO/MEDIA
  • NAV & Sirius subscription issues> (FCA vs Sirius problem, get All Access to match type of radio, get streaming option)
  • Intermittent audio/BT pairing/pops> (Note 8/9 issues?> The_Chemist/CJR/Matt_T/Jus Cruisin/RamJoe/*JAK have Note 9)
  • Android Auto won’t mirror/BT/charge/data transfer> (issues with cable/media hub/phone model/app-BT-USB enabled?)
  • UConnect won’t remember last source or GUI preferences> (flash updated?, use door/seat memory button or this actions list)
  • FM/Sirius presets lost> (update?, set user profile> put in P…hit the S button on door…followed by # of profile…hit lock on fob)
  • SSD & USB drives/media not recognized on UConnect> (firmware update, use NTFS)
  • Fluctuating volume on radio or green lines in cam vids> (autovolume, firmware update, or replace head unit?)

SUSPENSION/DRIVETRAIN
  • Differential gear whine between 45-50mph> (oil low/bearings?)
  • Rear end clunks or car lurches forward> (like being bumped) when release brake or stopping (slip yoke binding or will “learn”)
  • Front end clunk> (check rubber bushings> reseat isolator bolts> tighten sway bar end, TSB replaces mounts/bolts)
  • Tranny shifts hard or won’t go to D> (replace?, TSB 1/9/2019)
  • Shift P to D> no move> touch gas> lurches forward or no move> (flash Park Assist or trans (replace?), R first then D, will “learn”

MISC
  • Paint chipping along the lower/front edges of the vehicle> (PPF or running boards)
  • AC weak/imbalanced> (heater core leak into HVAC and/or faulty blend door> pinch or valves hack works)
  • Steering sticks/won’t recenter from left> (loose grnd, bad seal/gear in steering rack?)
  • Water leaks into interior from weld seams and window frames> (welds/unseated plugs/cracked window frame)
  • Windshield cracking on driver’s side at eye level on trucks with pano roof> (advises glass coverage)

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, not to undermine the amount of work you put into this, but, what's the point of this again? (Sincerely)

If the problem someone is having is an issue that's known by FCA, they will find it in the TSB / Recalls thread, with the appropriate documentation. If not, they will find it in the threads specifically about that topic on the forum.

Essentially what you've done is compile a list of some problems you've seen, and said "eh go find it yourself if you want more detail"...

I really am not trying to be mean, just talking with ya here. But essentially this is just another thread that's going to come up in the searches, get filled with the same questions that have already been answered all over the forums, and just overall add to the confusion about where to get the proper solutions to problems. I think I understand your intent though. Maybe what we need is a little directory to shuttle people around the forums and point them in the right direction, so that they can actually get to the place where the info they desire resides. Something like what you have, but linked out to the threads with the actual solution posted, instead of a dead end. The only issue with that is when it becomes redundant to the information on the TSB / Recalls thread which lists the actual FCA documentation of a problem, and is constantly being updated. The forums are also pretty well categorized, so a table of contents really isn't needed, as long as people correctly categorize their posts and submit them to the correct sub forum.

It's late. Maybe I'm being a **** here. I hope I'm not.

Last edited:

heydre

Reaction score
The "point" is having a post that summarizes common issues in one place and listing some of the fixes tried by forum members. All without you having to read the hundreds of pages to find the posts within them that have the attempted fixes. No need for the right keyword, private messages, redundant answers, or dead end searches. If you seek further detail then dig deeper but it helps to know you're not alone and that there's a fix out there (for most).

If that's so frustrating or confusing for you then do all the things you wish I had yourself because all you've done so far is complain about what is NOT here or supposedly already easily accessible.

Phil01985

Reaction score
Thank you for this post! It’s helpful to members like myself who Often tell the dealers potential issues and solutions, which are from forum members with the same vehicle and experiences. I find that dealers also like when this information is given to them as it makes the diagnosing a lot easier on them, especially if the issue is hard to duplicate. Although dealers should know and look up TSB’s, unfortunately that is not the case for all dealers and member experiences on this forum. This quick review will be very helpful to myself and I’m sure others, who like to actually have their vehicles fixed and not sent back with “cannot duplicate” or no fix at all, especially since these issues are more prevalent. All vehicles, especially first year models, are going to experience hiccups. My mother’s Tesla Model X has had many hiccups, it comes with the territory. However, in life we give and take, while a nussicience, if there is a fix that is applicable, all is well in my eyes. If is it a major design flaw, then people have every right to be upset. Thank you for sharing and hearing me out!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The "point" is having a post that summarizes common issues in one place and listing some of the fixes tried by forum members. All without you having to read the hundreds of pages to find the posts within them that have the attempted fixes. No need for the right keyword, private messages, redundant answers, or dead end searches. If you seek further detail then dig deeper but it helps to know you're not alone and that there's a fix out there (for most).

If that's so frustrating or confusing for you then do all the things you wish I had yourself because all you've done so far is complain about what is NOT here or supposedly already easily accessible.
I think you could address the comments @riccnick made by including links to the TSBs (in the TSB section), to relevant threads with existing solutions and/or workarounds, and to members that you list by name (by using @) in order to connect readers with resources vs providing “clues” but leaving them to search for themselves. Just a suggestion.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I get it. But the issue is that you have information that is now no longer categorized, redundant, and incomplete. I understand it's "all in one place", but it's just not as useful, and still requires searching no matter what.. And if someone is searching already, this thread will come up, and they will post in here, and they will not see the answer to their question that is already on the forum.

It's not frustrating or confusing to me. What I'm telling you is: the objective you set out to complete is nullified by your execution of it. I offered ways to improve it, and also pointed out the flaws even in MY OWN suggestions. This isn't personal, I don't actually have a stake in this, and I'm certainly not King Of The Forum Content or anything like that, I'm simply discussing this with you (and everyone else).

The information you listed is already out on the forums, in a well organized manner. Sure, it requires some searching and reading, but really all this post does is add a pit stop and more reading on the journey to the solutions already available. Also, are you going to continually update this post / thread so you stay most up to date on the problems and solutions that affect our Rams? You see what I'm getting at?

I'm not trying to **** all over your post and effort here. But I'm also not going to give you a forum participation trophy for something I see as more of a speedbump rather than a shortcut like what you want it to be.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Great list, seems to match up with others I have read before, including the fixes.

So far none of the issues, though concerned about my big 33" Rebel tires kicking up rocks into my rear quarter panel. Buying front mud flaps and possibly running boards to fix that. Otherwise, probably the most solid new vehicle I have bought ever, and I've have owned quite a few makes and models through the years. From Acura, Honda, Lexus, BMW, Jeep, Ford and now RAM.

The one I am interested about is potential water leaks. I'm going to give it a good wash soon, make sure to really test how waterproof the truck is.

19ramsport

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 3/19 build date Laramie Sport. Hopefully it doesn't have too many issues, seemed fine during test drive. But I will consult this list you provided to watch out for. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 that is a later build date but still had a few minor issues but not as bad as some of the earlier build 2014 GM trucks that I read about on the forums back then before buying mine.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a 3/19 build date Laramie Sport. Hopefully it doesn't have too many issues, seemed fine during test drive. But I will consult this list you provided to watch out for. I have a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 that is a later build date but still had a few minor issues but not as bad as some of the earlier build 2014 GM trucks that I read about on the forums back then before buying mine.
This is what I was thinking as far as usefulness - this thread would definitely be useful for someone looking to purchase a truck, as they could maybe pay a little better attention to those areas before taking delivery. Once you own the vehicle, of course, the usefulness goes way, way down.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Mine Rebel has a 1/2019 build date, seems to be solid, and I'm very perceptive to possible issues, especially to the drive-line.

heydre

Reaction score
This is what I was thinking as far as usefulness - this thread would definitely be useful for someone looking to purchase a truck, as they could maybe pay a little better attention to those areas before taking delivery. Once you own the vehicle, of course, the usefulness goes way, way down.
Knowing what to look for was exactly my intent as I too am purchasing a truck. The usefulness of it continues after purchase because you already have in mind what to keep an eye out for since some issues take time to develop and the basic fixes tried by users is listed.

Side note that I currently have a 2008 Silverado that I used Car Complaints website to research the model years before purchasing used. It lists typical issues/complaints that really did help choosing the years/makes as well as nail the most reported problems (except excessive oil use) that occurred on mine (door locks, cracked dash, and cruise control).

heydre

Reaction score
Edited "common" from title to avoid misinterpretation....it is based on my observations of other's posted issues here so judge accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread