5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monthly 4wd high activation

cbadge

Reaction score
I've heard it's beneficial to activate 4 wheel drive monthly or so.

Anyone have any insight on this?

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard it's beneficial to activate 4 wheel drive monthly or so.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Yep I do it for a hundred yards or so once every few weeks to keep pieces and parts lubed. Also to make sure it’s working. Would hate to try it for the first time all year when the first snow falls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dearchristopher

Reaction score
makes sense if you don’t use it often, keep things moving. do you have 4wd auto?

highgear2005

Reaction score
Monthly, I use mine everyday! Long steep gravel driveway

johnehr

Reaction score
I believe in the use-it-or-lose-it philosophy. Seems to hold true for lots of things, and 4x4 makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I'd say that's prudent, since we have the axle disconnect. It doesn't much matter if the transfer case works if the front axle doesn't. And vice versa. And it's all still under warranty now, so if it's going to die, find out now.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
These newer trucks aren’t your grandpa’s old trucks. It certainly wouldn’t hurt but it’s not necessary. I suppose it also depends on where you live. If you NEVER use 4wd then yeah don’t go a few years without shifting in.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am probably a minority here. I have had many 4x4s over the years and only engage it when I need it; it might be once a month or it might be once a year. I haven't had any issues yet....knock on wood.
Same here... except I do engage 4High when I'm moving the Ram up the ramps for an oil change lol.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
i keep 4wd auto on all the time. no noticeable change in fuel consumption so i like to have it on. those full traction pulls from a stop sign/red light when its raining are hard to beat!

the only time i turn it off is when i purposely want to stab the gas in 2wd. i never use the rear locker though. no need yet.

my only real concern with 4wd auto is that sometimes my dash will chime at me if i have to mash the gas on the highway. i never see a message on the cluster, but i hear it ding. dunno about that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I try to get to a state forest road atleast once a month. From September to February Pennsylvania also opens their state gamelands roads.

Is it for the activation of 4wd....sure...but it also gives a chance to reflect on the Beauty of this country and why freedom is so important.
20200301_132439.jpg 20191103_134811.jpg 20200802_132303_HDR.jpg 20200801_110713.jpg 20200801_095927.jpg

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was a huge problem on the Toyota 4Runners of the prior generation. Lack of use would cause the electric shift motor and fork to freeze up, rendering four wheel drive impossible to shift into after a while. Back when I was shopping them on the used market, I had to test drive several to find one that didn't have a frozen shift solenoid.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I once put a friends Ford Ranger 4x4 into 4LO on a boat ramp. (electronic switch) He never used 4LO and it got stuck in 4LO. Had to drive back to the cabin 4 miles away in 4LO. (that sucked) Finally we hit the transfer case with a hammer a few times and rocked the truck between reverse and drive and it popped back out.
So yes I plan on activating 4HI and 4LO a few times a year for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread