5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monster Door Ding

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed today that my 2 month old truck was victim of some careless person at my expense while at my sons soccer practice at the park yesterday. Dent in passanger back door in the body line. Have an appointment at the body shop tomorrow morning with the paintless dent guy to see if it is fixable without major body work. I just don’t have patience for people like this. Wish me luck!

Sorry to hear about your accident. Some people are pretty inconsiderate.

I learned a long time ago that the only thing that prevents this from happening is to take a hard defensive approach and avoid parking in close proximity to other vehicles, or select a spot where you can control the distance between you and another vehicle. If I can't find an end spot I usually park in the far fringes of a parking lot. Sometimes my passengers complain, but I've just incorporated this process into my exercise program. And I no longer care if someone doesn't like the way I park!

My last two 4th gen Rams had no door dings.

Best regards,

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 002049 miles.

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your accident. Some people are pretty inconsiderate.

I learned a long time ago that the only thing that prevents this from happening is to take a hard defensive approach and avoid parking in close proximity to other vehicles, or select a spot where you can control the distance between you and another vehicle. If I can't find an end spot I usually park in the far fringes of a parking lot. Sometimes my passengers complain, but I've just incorporated this process into my exercise program. And I no longer care if someone doesn't like the way I park!

My last two 4th gen Rams had no door dings.

Best regards,

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 002049 miles.

I am the same way and that is why I am so frustrated. I didn’t have a choice on parking the day it happened ( very limited parking So I parked next to my wife. Frustrating in that the very next day (even though nothing happened ) I parked way out at another practice field. I come back to a car that looked like a crushed beer can right next to me with probably 50 open spots. On my last truck I was hit by shopping carts on two separate occasions parked at the very back of the lot. My wife told me I had no other cars for blockers. LOL Maybe it just bad luck. But It was fixable and I am thankful for that!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am the same way and that is why I am so frustrated. I didn’t have a choice on parking the day it happened ( very limited parking So I parked next to my wife. Frustrating in that the very next day (even though nothing happened ) I parked way out at another practice field. I come back to a car that looked like a crushed beer can right next to me with probably 50 open spots. On my last truck I was hit by shopping carts on two separate occasions parked at the very back of the lot. My wife told me I had no other cars for blockers. LOL Maybe it just bad luck. But It was fixable and I am thankful for that!

It's a shame! This may not mean much, but be glad your truck isn't aluminum. The door ding doctor I've used said it's almost impossible to do paintless repairs.

Good luck.

Dusty

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Amazing work! Wow, I’m impressed...
Glad they took care of it.

Put me in the paranoid camp also. I park as far away as possible (when possible), but sometimes you just can’t.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It's a shame! This may not mean much, but be glad your truck isn't aluminum. The door ding doctor I've used said it's almost impossible to do paintless repairs.

Good luck.

Dusty

True, there’s a flip side to that coin. I’ve seen videos of people whacking the F150 to test the strengh, and it’s very, very hard to dent vs. steel, like it bounces back or something, so YMMV.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had gotten a parking lot door ding in my 2016 F150. It was in an area that was hard to get tools into - $300 fix. My 2014 Ram had paper thin metal that I'd swear if you looked at it wrong it would dent. I'm curious how this one will fare.

Ramajama

Reaction score
Glad it was fixed so nicely. This is why I take. Extreme measures when I park. Accidents happen, but a lot of people are too careless to avoid said accident.

M

MJB4450

FYI for anyone experiencing the aftermath of a moron parking next to you, PDR techs are not all the same. Far from it. I highly suggest researching for a highly qualified one. After I retired from the USAF, I made the mistake of taking a job as the supervisor of a large Ford dealership body shop. I couldn't take more than five years of that. We had a PDR guy there. Pittifully poor workmanship and attitude. We also have a chain PDR store in town, and independents. In 2011 I took my new Challenger to work based on the TV forecast of no chance of rain. It hailed off and on all day. I counted over 300 mild dings. I took it to the chain store. They did not even look at the car just automatically said they would have to supplement my insurance quote (charge more) and it would take their 18 year old techs a week to do. I didn't care for that answer so I did some research and found an independent guy who had contracts for some dealerships and did individual's cars also. Turns out he used to teach PDR in the Midwest. A true artist who does it right. He will not drill holes to access a ding like everyone else, he will detrim instead. He took out all the dings in just five hours and charged far less than the chain store. He also did co-worker's cars I sent to him. Perfect results. A few years later a Challenger forum member in N.Y. had someone kick in his right quarter panel and all the PDR people in his area said it could not be fixed. I told him too bad he didn't live in my area (AZ) and told him about my PDR guy. Being the car fanatic he was, he actually contacted PDR here and drove here to get it fixed. Took two hours and the job was perfect. So, if you need PDR and don't get the answer you want, don't give up. There are artists out there who can fix anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI for anyone experiencing the aftermath of a moron parking next to you, PDR techs are not all the same. Far from it. I highly suggest researching for a highly qualified one. After I retired from the USAF, I made the mistake of taking a job as the supervisor of a large Ford dealership body shop. I couldn't take more than five years of that. We had a PDR guy there. Pittifully poor workmanship and attitude. We also have a chain PDR store in town, and independents. In 2011 I took my new Challenger to work based on the TV forecast of no chance of rain. It hailed off and on all day. I counted over 300 mild dings. I took it to the chain store. They did not even look at the car just automatically said they would have to supplement my insurance quote (charge more) and it would take their 18 year old techs a week to do. I didn't care for that answer so I did some research and found an independent guy who had contracts for some dealerships and did individual's cars also. Turns out he used to teach PDR in the Midwest. A true artist who does it right. He will not drill holes to accesst a ding like everyone else, he will detrim instead. He took out all the dings in just five hours and charged far less than the chain store. He also did co-worker's cars I sent to him. Perfect results. A few years later a Challenger forum member in N.Y. had someone kick in his right quarter panel and all the PDR people in his area said it could not be fixed. I told him too bad he didn't live in my area (AZ) and told him about my PDR guy. Being the car fanatic he was, he actually contacted PDR here and drove here to get it fixed. Took two hours and the job was perfect. So, if you need PDR and don't get the answer you want, don't give up. There are artists out there who can fix anything.
Agreed. I personally know a phenomenal guy in North Houston who I've seen "do magic." I later learned he has contracts with the local Mercedes & Porsche dealers. You want the person that the high-end car folks trust so ask them or follow the PDR guy out of their parking lot!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Agreed. I personally know a phenomenal guy in North Houston who I've seen "do magic." I later learned he has contracts with the local Mercedes & Porsche dealers. You want the person that the high-end car folks trust so ask them or follow the PDR guy out of their parking lot!

Edwards, I'm in Houston also. Do you mind sharing the contact information of your guy? My wife's Lexus has a few dings that need fixing.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread