5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mold smell

grom

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just picked up my 21 Ram Laramie from the dealer this past Friday for a water leak from the back glass and a strong mold smell. They replaced the glass had it just a couple day shy of a month trying to clean and treat it for the smell. They said they cleaned the mold out of the truck. It seemed fine at first, but by Sunday the smell came bad and gets into your clothes. I am still under the the 3/36 and the mold was caused by the factory defective glass. It seems like the smell soaked into the leather., shouldn't this be covered under the warranty? Anyone one else have this problem resolved without lawyering up?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd first try taking it back to the dealership and let them have another go at it. I'm not sure the factory warranty actually covers mold. First thing I would do is make sure the leak was actually fixed and you don't still have water coming in. There are lots of stories about shoddy repair work not actually fixing these leaks. I would avoid involving an attorney until you have no more recourse. Maybe @RamCares can help out with this as well. They were very helpful when we went through the rear window leak/RF hub issue last year.

grom

Reaction score
I'd first try taking it back to the dealership and let them have another go at it. I'm not sure the factory warranty actually covers mold. First thing I would do is make sure the leak was actually fixed and you don't still have water coming in. There are lots of stories about shoddy repair work not actually fixing these leaks. I would avoid involving an attorney until you have no more recourse. Maybe @RamCares can help out with this as well. They were very helpful when we went through the rear window leak/RF hub issue last year.
I tried calling Ram care twice but they were not helpful and stayed that the window is not even covered. Obviously the lady did not know what she was talking about. It seemed like a generic call center that was just reading predetermined remarks depending on what I said.

grom

Reaction score
I called the dealer back and the manager said he will have to talk to the rep to see if they can take a look at it. My truck was emasculate with only 24K on it. I hope they will step up. Very disappointed, I work for Benz for almost 30 years now and they have their share of troubles but man they step up to try to fix any customer concerns.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I tried calling Ram care twice but they were not helpful and stayed that the window is not even covered. Obviously the lady did not know what she was talking about. It seemed like a generic call center that was just reading predetermined remarks depending on what I said.
I was referring to the @RamCares representative here in the forums. Since I tagged them in my previous post they should at least come in and comment.

One question I have is are you talking about the original factory warranty or an extended warranty? The original factory warranty does cover the rear window, but most if not all aftermarket warranties would exclude the back window, as glass is almost never covered under those types of warranties.

grom

Reaction score
I was referring to the @RamCares representative here in the forums. Since I tagged them in my previous post they should at least come in and comment.

One question I have is are you talking about the original factory warranty or an extended warranty? The original factory warranty does cover the rear window, but most if not all aftermarket warranties would exclude the back window, as glass is almost never covered under those types of warranties.
Yes the 3/36 original warranty but they do cover the sliding motor that comes with the back glass assembly.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I called the dealer back and the manager said he will have to talk to the rep to see if they can take a look at it. My truck was emasculate with only 24K on it. I hope they will step up. Very disappointed, I work for Benz for almost 30 years now and they have their share of troubles but man they step up to try to fix any customer concerns.
Deutche vs. Italiano. This comming from a Finn.

Users who are viewing this thread