5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MobilFluid LT for the BW 48-11 (4Auto) transfer case

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thx for the info. I have no doubt you heard what you heard from AMSoil, but I do highly doubt what they said. The Borg Warner spec calls for mobilfluid LT, so seems like circular logic. More likely, the guy didn’t know anything more than some story somebody told him, that in reality, wasn’t true (and he or she just didn’t know any better).

I used to be a fan of AMSoil, but have come to be skeptical of their integrity. More and more I see carefully worded comparisons and highlights of only certain obscure specs (we flow better than X - but measured at -40), and now no longer use AMSoil. Their unwillingness to submit to outside bodies for some important certifications sealed the deal. I’ve come to use Red Line more, and a few euro-made brands (where synthetic really means synthetic, not like here).

But each his own...
AMSOIL would rather put the excessive amount of money(think the dexos money farm) they would spend on outside certifications into developing their products. They have obtained some manufacturer approvals, but only where it made sense to do so. There are also cases where AMSOIL so greatly exceeds specifications in design that it can't qualify for some certifications or standards.
That -40 number is where all oils are rated for cold weather performance, it is a standard test that is performed. It is usually an indication of a higher quality base stock being used.

FWIW all of the Signature Series oils and Severe Gear fluids are true, 100% synthetic oils and include various group IV and V base stocks.
I agree that the US legal system and oil companies made a joke out of the term synthetic, and it makes it that much easier for the oil companies to screw over customers that think they are getting a better oil when they may not be.

Yeah...I see that only 2019 calls for the BW 44-44/45 fluid and all 2020 plus call for the Mobil Fluid LT. Which if what I'm reading is correct, the BW 44-44/45 fluid is the exact same thing.
It's a tractor fluid...So I'm going with they are band aiding the transfer case and not fixing the root issue.

Users who are viewing this thread